Determining New Sensor - M9

pico

The problem with identifying via the firmware is that there has been another release since 1.204. The latest version only adds support for the new Summaron 28mm but you can bet that a lot of people installed it even if they don't have the lens. Such is human nature.

The problem with identifying via the firmware is that there has been another release since 1.204. The latest version only adds support for the new Summaron 28mm but you can bet that a lot of people installed it even if they don't have the lens. Such is human nature.

Does 1.204 and the subsequent release work with the old un-modified sensor?  

Or to put it another way, if Leica installed 1.204 after they replaced the sensor does this confirm the camera has the updated sensor?

Form what I understood at the time mine was done is that 1.204 was not on general release and was only installed by Leica when the sensor was changed. I suppose this version has specific code for supporting the new sensor. However the subsequent version 1.210 was on general release and only included, as far as I know, support for the recently released Summaron. I suppose that 1.210 has dual support for the original and new sensors... Whether 1.204 has dual support or not, I don't know. The only thing we can be pretty confident about is that if an M9 has 1.204 installed, it also has a new sensor. It would be interesting to hear from a user who recently had a sensor upgrade to know if 1.204 or 1.210 is installed by Leica.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Or to put it another way, if Leica installed 1.204 after they replaced the sensor does this confirm the camera has the updated sensor?

One the L-site from M-E download page I could get 1.202 and 1.210, but not 1.204...

Exactly. If you find a Leica M9 with firmware 1.202 it means old sensor. 1.204 is the new sensor. But 1.210 could be both new or old. My old M9 sensor for example has FW 1.210 installed.

The CCD ID seems to be a better identifier to determine new or old sensor.

Edited by Chris

I would think that subsequent versions (only 1.210 at time or writing) work with both sensor types.

Yes - I can confirm this. I installed it myself on my old sensor M9.

This is why the FW version is not an ideal indicator. People with the old FW could just update to 1.210.

[...] I suppose that 1.210 has dual support for the original and new sensors.

Interesting, however I suspect the new sensor does not require different firmware, no dual support. At the time of a senor replacement Leica simply did a firmware update as a routine procedure.

Edited by pico

Yes - I can confirm this. I installed it myself on my old sensor M9.

This is why the FW version is not an ideal indicator. People with the old FW could just update to 1.210.

I am baffled as to why users would update if they don't own the Summaron.

Interesting, however I suspect the new sensor does not require different firmware, no dual support.

Dunno. And I would agree, but then why would they install 1.204 at all ? 

Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to assure that all the cameras within their sensor replacement time-frame have Leica approved firmware, no hackware, no mistakes.

• Like 2

It is funny.... Under Hardware IDS, I get this on my M9:

CCD ID: 11

CCD Board: 2

Control BRD: 2

M16CID: 0

My sensor was replaced in 2013 (July). The old one had not sign of corrosion. The exchange was made for another reason.

Edited by olgierdc

I did not want to update, but battery died all of a sudden in the middle of the process to overwrite a 36GB SD card. After that the camera always took 3+ seconds after being turned on before I could release the shutter. I ran out of options and thought I might try to reinstall the firmware, before realising with horror that 1.203 wouldn't work with this sensor and 1.204 had never been available for download on Leica's fw page. Luckily when I clicked into that page there was 1.210. 

so...although i did not wish to update, I kinda had to at that point XD

And the repair work summary I received does NOT state clearly whether or not the sensor is the new one. Luckily I took the trouble to email Leica and ask about it, and got an unambiguous reply. I will need to printout the emails too if I ever wish to sell my M9 on now :p

Edited by Rus

As far as I know the only reason for the new sensor coating needing a new software would be its different transmission spectrum. The software has to compensate for colours being recorded differently. Does anyone know whether this is done in-camera or just noted as a processing instruction in the DNG? If it was the latter, analyzing the DNG data could reveal whether a camera had the old or the new sensor.

• Like 1

In camera.

There are these new (to me) global options

Color Shading (on/off)

Black Shading (normal, always on, always off)

and something about disabling low battery action

... I quit looking there

The first two might be interesting to try

When, if, it stops raining here I will

Edited by pico

Monochrom v1 sensor replaced Dec 2016

Melbourne, Australia

Had to wait for a week or so for new sensor supply from Germany.

Assured it was new sensor by Camera Clinic.

Does have slightly different colour tone response to previous sensor so I'm sure this is all correct.

fw: 1012

CCD ID: 53

CCD Board ID:52

Control Brd ID:52

M16C ID: 0

Same as Per's Monochrom v1 in post #3.

Edited by MarkP

As far as I know the only reason for the new sensor coating needing a new software would be its different transmission spectrum. The software has to compensate for colours being recorded differently. Does anyone know whether this is done in-camera or just noted as a processing instruction in the DNG? If it was the latter, analyzing the DNG data could reveal whether a camera had the old or the new sensor.

That would indeed mean that any subsequent (to 1.204) FW release must support multiple CCDs.