MMI vs MMII Hypothetical

Likaleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know if the replacement ccd sensors are subject to corrosion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no, depend on what generation is the replacement CCD.

I know one Monochrom owner/user who had 3 times MM1 sensor replacements.

See here for more infos: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279285-will-the-ccd-in-mm1-eventually-go-bad/

• Like 1

Leica at first replaced defective sensors with new sensors of the same type, because they did not have any other type of sensor. As soon as the sensor with the new coating became available, they replaced defective sensors with sensors of the new type with the improved coating.

Hence, if you send in your camera now it will be fitted with a new, non-corroding sensor. If you had it fixed before the non-corroding sensors were available, it has a sensor which might be prone to corrosion.

• Like 1

I cant believe I just did it.......... but I just read the whole thread and now itching for a new MM1

I have bought most of my Leica gear from Ffordes in Scotland. I will email them and see what they have.

Neil

I managed to buy a brand new, never used M Monochrome CCD (Silver Chrome) from a Leica store with 5 years warranty. Sensor is fine now but will need replacement at some point, under warranty. 

And for a great price. I guess I'm very lucky, it now has 40 exposures. 

• Like 2

My journey has been MM1> MM246> MM1 (new type sensor).

The 246 is a fine camera, but the images never made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in the way that the MM1 images did, and still do. Hence my return to the old master. I just hope my MM1 keeps going, and remains repairable, for as long as I can still shoot!

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Absolutely right. I miss mine too... (hint: the 3.4/21 ASPH is a great lens)

Mint + low actuations + new sensor + fairly priced: please let me know where I can look for such an MM1!!!

MPB.com, but act quickly. They have one now that's near mint and they give a 6 month warranty with all used equipment they sell.

My journey has been MM1> MM246> MM1 (new type sensor).

The 246 is a fine camera, but the images never made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in the way that the MM1 images did, and still do. Hence my return to the old master. I just hope my MM1 keeps going, and remains repairable, for as long as I can still shoot!

I understand completely.

The MM1 has a such a traditional film performance look.....just love mine.

It's going nowhere, once I get it back from the sensor upgrade !!

Almost six months for the upgrade, but a camera that is truly unique.

Edited by 4X5B&W
  • Like 3

Rupert,

So now you use the two Monochrom MM1 and M246.

Just curious, (I know that you have serious reasons to keep both Monochrom), if you can keep only one, which one it would be ?

:rolleyes:

I use Monochrom CCD (MM1) and plan to "replace it" with M246 or "keep MM1" waiting for future M10 Monochrom (in few years I think).

Already have a nice M10.

I would probably keep the M246, it is the 'better' all rounder to me.   I have the MM1 for specific jobs such as landscapes, I use it in the same way I would a medium format film camera , slowly and thoughtfully. 

I will always remember the feeling that I had when I first picked up a MM1, a camera that only shot B&W at some cost, I knew that I would have to have one !

The M246 I use for a variety of purposes in all weathers, I like the improved buffer over the MM1, weather sealing, battery, EVF occasionally etc.

I have the M10 but have not warmed to it, in fact I have just bought the M262 back that I traded in for it, I will sell the M10 shortly but the M10 monochrom will not be of interest to me, the M246 does everything I want.

• Like 2

I would probably keep the M246, it is the 'better' all rounder to me.   I have the MM1 for specific jobs such as landscapes, I use it in the same way I would a medium format film camera , slowly and thoughtfully. 

I will always remember the feeling that I had when I first picked up a MM1, a camera that only shot B&W at some cost, I knew that I would have to have one !

The M246 I use for a variety of purposes in all weathers, I like the improved buffer over the MM1, weather sealing, battery, EVF occasionally etc.

I have the M10 but have not warmed to it, in fact I have just bought the M262 back that I traded in for it, I will sell the M10 shortly but the M10 monochrom will not be of interest to me, the M246 does everything I want.

Thanks for that. Now I will hug my 246 a little more. The M10, like the M240, have so far not held my interest. I will however visit the M10 monochrome version whenever it is released. The slimmer and lighter body, plus any image improvement might be a good thing. Or, not. The 246 has a unique look in images I find attractive over the original monochrome, plus better detail. Is being downplayed for now, but think in time will become popular again. It’s newness has worn off.

• 1 month later...

I replaced my M8.2 with an M(240) a couple of years ago via the Leica upgrade program due to the lcd beauty mark (aka coffee stain).  Always regretted it even though the full frame, ISO and live view (focus peaking with an Oly finder) gave more capabilities to the camera.  I just liked the size and weight of the old M8.2 (even with the crappy lcd and battery).  I now have a couple of M8's (long story) and still enjoy pushing them to the limit in low light rather than using the M(240) - under lighter conditions the difference camera capabilities are pretty irrelevant so the M8's win.  Add to this the B/W advantages of the M8 and you see where I'm going.

Just entered the MM1 fray with a clean, low use camera with the sensor replaced.

I really should stop reading this (and other) forums!

James

• Like 1