MMI vs MMII Hypothetical

Likaleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just for curiosity sake, if you had to replace your current monochrom and you were given a gift certificate for a brand new one, which would you get?  Notwithstanding price difference and the fact that the MMI is no longer in production, but you found a little camera shop that had new versions of both on their shelf.  The MMI even has the new sensor.  

Edited by Likaleica

I have both and struggle to answer your question.  I purchased the M-246 while the MM1 was off for sensor replacement thinking I would sell the MM1 when I received it back from Leica.  I can't bring myself to do it.  While I appreciate that the M-246 is significantly better as a camera - there is something about the MM1 files that I don't see in those from the M-246.  I think my answer is - both  :)

• Like 4

I've had both and would buy another MM1.

As Luke says above the MM2 is the better camera if 'better' conforms to the usual parameters of 'I want my pixels' and 'I want more DR'. But it is the lack of both that make the MM1 better in my view. The lack of dynamic range (when compared with the MM2) when tamed makes photographs with a vibrancy and graphic quality far more appealing than the technically brilliant images an MM2 can produce. The highlights glow just like film, the blacks are rich and plentiful. And the lack of pixels and ISO range make beautiful film like grain (noise) when you increase the ISO, so the eye has something to feast on instead of bland areas of smooth tone. True it isn't a recipe for every occasion, but with the M10/SL sensor there is the ability to convert colour files into B&W with a look very similar to an MM2, this makes the MM1 much more interesting as filling the niche of 'artists camera' where its foibles can be harnessed like a favourite brush or palette knife.

• Like 6

Just for curiosity sake, if you had to replace your current monochrom and you were given a gift certificate for a brand new one, which would you get?  Notwithstanding price difference and the fact that the MMI is no longer in production, but you found a little camera shop that had new versions of both on their shelf.  The MMI even has the new sensor.  

After having seen Jakob de Boers phantastic photos out of his MM262 (MMII) at the Leica gallery during the last Photokina at Cologne, the question whether MM240 (MMI) or MM262 (MMII) deliver a better picture quality seems to be somewhat academically for us photoamateurs.
Enjoy the type of MM you own.
In a new purchase I would always recommend the MM262, because of the potentially corrosive sensor of the MM240.
Maybe it is also worthwhile to wait for an MM10?
So I will do and use my M8.2 reinforced for black and white photos.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a creature of habit, and if something works perfectly for me, I don't want to change it just because I can. The M Monochrom mk1 is the camera I'd choose between the two. I bought one when it was launched, in August 2012. For my personal work, it's all the digital camera I need. Even now, nearly five years on, I'm still stunned by the quality of the files it produces.

I never go above 3200 ISO and, for me 1600 ISO is the sweet spot. The files look very organic and filmic, with a beautiful kind of veiling grain. At low ISO settings, the M Mono mk1 files are too smooth, too sharp, too digital for my tastes, so I'll either use an ND filter, or simply shoot film.

I've no experience of the M Mono mk2. I know that the ISO goes higher, it can shoot more frames per second, and that it feels like a more sophisticated camera. I've just become comfortable with my mk1. I never feel limited by it. I rather like the old school steampunk sound of the shutter re-cocking mechanism. Feels very machine-like. I like that the battery is tiny, and I can carry a spare in my jeans pocket. I believe the camera is a little lighter than the mk2 as well. And I also like the simplicity of the buttons on the back, the simplicity of the menu system, and the ease with which the ISO can be adjusted. I like the stripped-down ethos of the whole design, and the fact that there is no video option. Shooting this camera feels so close to shooting my M2, that there's really no practical difference between the two when I'm framing and pressing the button.

Finally, and it's of little consequence, but I think the mk1, just as a manufactured object, looks nicer than the mk2. I like the notch cut into the end of the top plate, emphasising the rangefinder. I like the fresnel frame line illuminator window on the front, just like the one on the M2. I like that the LCD screen doesn't expand up into the top plate, and down into the base plate, spoiling the classic lines of the M design.

So, yes - MM mk1 for me. Perhaps if I'd only known the mk2, it might well be the other way round. As I say, I'm really a creature of habit.

Attached is a shot I took in Glasgow on my M Mono mk1 - 2000 ISO, 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE.

Cheers!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

but with the M10/SL sensor there is the ability to convert colour files into B&W with a look very similar to an MM2, this makes the MM1 much more interesting as filling the niche of 'artists camera' where its foibles can be harnessed like a favourite brush or palette knife.

I think this says it all.  Thanks.

I'm a creature of habit, and if something works perfectly for me, I don't want to change it just because I can. The M Monochrom mk1 is the camera I'd choose between the two. I bought one when it was launched, in August 2012. For my personal work, it's all the digital camera I need. Even now, nearly five years on, I'm still stunned by the quality of the files it produces.

I never go above 3200 ISO and, for me 1600 ISO is the sweet spot. The files look very organic and filmic, with a beautiful kind of veiling grain. At low ISO settings, the M Mono mk1 files are too smooth, too sharp, too digital for my tastes, so I'll either use an ND filter, or simply shoot film.

I've no experience of the M Mono mk2. I know that the ISO goes higher, it can shoot more frames per second, and that it feels like a more sophisticated camera. I've just become comfortable with my mk1. I never feel limited by it. I rather like the old school steampunk sound of the shutter re-cocking mechanism. Feels very machine-like. I like that the battery is tiny, and I can carry a spare in my jeans pocket. I believe the camera is a little lighter than the mk2 as well. And I also like the simplicity of the buttons on the back, the simplicity of the menu system, and the ease with which the ISO can be adjusted. I like the stripped-down ethos of the whole design, and the fact that there is no video option. Shooting this camera feels so close to shooting my M2, that there's really no practical difference between the two when I'm framing and pressing the button.

Finally, and it's of little consequence, but I think the mk1, just as a manufactured object, looks nicer than the mk2. I like the notch cut into the end of the top plate, emphasising the rangefinder. I like the fresnel frame line illuminator window on the front, just like the one on the M2. I like that the LCD screen doesn't expand up into the top plate, and down into the base plate, spoiling the classic lines of the M design.

So, yes - MM mk1 for me. Perhaps if I'd only known the mk2, it might well be the other way round. As I say, I'm really a creature of habit.

Attached is a shot I took in Glasgow on my M Mono mk1 - 2000 ISO, 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE.

Cheers!

Colin, I love your work and look forward to your new posts in the image section for the Monochrom.  From your posts I also know how much you love your camera.  This was a great answer and I appreciate it.  I haven't owned a MM2 and was planning to get an MMI again, but a friend is offering me a killer deal on the 246 so I thought I'd ask around.  When the playing field is leveled as far as cost is concerned, would current MMI owners switch to MM2.  It seems clear that many would stay with the MMI.

Many thanks to all.

• Like 1

Guest jvansmit

After using the MM1, I was initially quite disappointed with the M246 files, and it took me a while to figure out how to process them. Once I got there, the M246 was great. Better high ISO, quieter, larger buffer, etc. But I never fell in love with it so it was sold.

A while back, I bought another MM1....a low mileage example which I do love. It's annoyingly slow sometimes, the small display is virtually useless, and I worry about the CCD corrosion issue as it's humid here in Hong Kong, but the camera body feels neat in the hand, it's beautiful too, and the files have a quality like no other. A special day for me now, is to go out walking all day just the MM1 and a spare battery. No shoulder bag, no phone, just the simple and slightly archaic MM1.

So....if you asked me to choose a freebie new one, I'd choose the MM1 in a heartbeat. It's that special.

• Like 7

Colin, I love your work and look forward to your new posts in the image section for the Monochrom.  From your posts I also know how much you love your camera.  This was a great answer and I appreciate it.  I haven't owned a MM2 and was planning to get an MMI again, but a friend is offering me a killer deal on the 246 so I thought I'd ask around.  When the playing field is leveled as far as cost is concerned, would current MMI owners switch to MM2.  It seems clear that many would stay with the MMI.

Many thanks to all.

I think if I were in your shoes I would go for the killer deal on the typ 246. They are both black and white cameras so there's no " my color is better than yours" nonsense. So it comes down to the tool getting out of your way so you can work. Here I think based on my experience with my m9's, the 246 has the edge. First, the battery lasts forever. The histogram and clipping indicators are a joy to use - big and bright. For the few times that I need to compose critically with my 21, I simply slide the EVF into the hot shoe. The ovf is brighter with a more contrasty focusing patch. These are a few advantages, nothing you can't live without but... One thing though, the M9 is the more gorgeous camera.

Whichever one you choose, welcome back to the world of monochrom.

• Like 1

There must be something to some monochrome users preferring the mm1, as many are very passionate about it. I personally haven't seen why that is from images I have viewed, but not knocking it as have only used the mm2. I owned an M9 and then M240 before switching to mm2. The m240 was a significant leap, as is the mm2 and I never missed my M9 in that transition. I will however be interested in what the monochrome m10 brings when it comes out and likely will trade out.

• Like 2

My first experience with the MM was with the MM2. I was completely blown away by that camera. I had it on loan for a while. When I bought one, I bought the MM1 (for financial reasons), and although I loved what it did, I just wasn't blown away by it as I was by the MM2. So, a couple of months ago I decided to trade it in and get the MM2. And it confirmed my first experience. I was immediately blown away again. (That apart from the fact that it is faster, quieter etc.) But this is clearly a personal preference. 

• Like 2

Can I wait for the M10-M?  ;)

Seriously, MM1 or MM2 would be a dilemma for me. I see a rendering difference in their sensors, but I like both. I really miss having live view, but I'd prefer to not go heavier or thicker than my MM1. I know the difference is small, but the MM1 is already pushing it. 

Still, I reckon I'd choose the MM2 and hope I didn't regret it (which I already am).

John  

Edited by johnwolf
  • Like 1

I have had both cameras ... twice ... and it would be ideal to have both sensors available in both bodies ... initially I was very disappointed in the MM2 

but have discovered how to work with its files .... And as John pointed out ... live view makes the camera much more viable. Not just focus but exposure

range ... you begin to get a feel for light and how to find the sweet spot with the EVF ... half press of shutter gives you a fascimilie of the range of light

caught.

My percentage of workable files is higher with the LV.

One from this week ...

Another that had a bit more dynamic range within the picture

The forum seems to have suck a bit of sharpness out of the file :wacko:

Edited by docmoore

Highlights are sublime .... last pic I promise.

I've had both and sold both (for completely financial reasons). I am looking again and honestly as cool as the MM246 features are I feel like the MM1 holds a little something unique in its rendering. Its a sad sounding , crappy screen having camera, but the files carry a bite and the noise is magical. Even as I write this I'm thinking you can get that from the 246 with work to some degree, but ultimately- its a cmos sensor that will be quickly outdated when the M10M comes out making it affordable to new buyers. The MM1 will always be unique because of that. Buying them used and having multiples like different film stock is another answer.

• Like 3