New 50 Summilux; liquid on outside barrel?

Eric1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased a brand new unopened 50 summilux f/1.4 asph lens in silver and when I unpackaged it I noticed a clear liquid on the outside barrel of the lens. I was able to wipe it off but wondered what it was? And whether I should exchange the lens for a different one? Inside the lens it looks fine at the moment and not sure if liquid would have seeped inside. Just wandered if anyone had a similar experience. I want to make sure nothing is wrong with the lens since I spent 4K on it.

Highly unusual, in all my life I never opened a box of any "dry goods" that was anything else but dry. When you say clear liquid I read it liquid was transparent in appearance. We need to understand was it water like or oil like - sticky. Did you wiped it away with a cloth or dared to touch, or lick even, to establish what type of liquid?

There are lubricants inside Leica lenses and bodies.  But Leica does not oil the outside!

Condensation is the only thing that makes any sense.  I'd just use it.  

Congrats on acquiring a great lens.  Looks especially nice in chrome...

UPDATE: Emailed Leica and they said the only way a liquid was on the barrel is if it seeped out of the Lens do to high heat. They suggested i exchange it with dealer. So im sending it back for another copy. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Are you sure you weren't just drooling when you opened it?

Lol, i wish it was my drool. I was very careful to hold it by the cap when I first opened it to inspect it for quality. Something I've never had a problem with other Leica lenses, always perfect. Makes me wonder if dealers know to store merchandise in cool conditions. Lenses apparently don't like heat.