L log setting

rafael_macia

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have played around with L-Log a little bit more. And ISO 800 is still really noisy (SL2). As L-Log's base ISO is 400, only going one stop to ISO 800, the noise level is somewhat disappointing.

Does any of you have experienced the same?

58 minutes ago, sebas_ said:

I have played around with L-Log a little bit more. And ISO 800 is still really noisy (SL2). As L-Log's base ISO is 400, only going one stop to ISO 800, the noise level is somewhat disappointing.

Does any of you have experienced the same?

I find it quite clean at a correct exposure. Can you share a L-Log clip test?

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 4:57 PM, Photoworks said:

you can find the SL2 LUT here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjwabboj9fwo7xl/L-LOG-SL2.cube?dl=0

Consider it a starting point, you will need to adjust contrast and exposure depending of your capture. This LUT only brings back the color response and contrast , no other adjustment have been made

I found that underexposing by 2/3 stop was best to preserve light.

ARRI and SLOG profile didn't work for me since it is a different camera and you expose them in different ways.

L-Log is the only profile on this camera that does not apply sharpening, so consider that.

Hello Photoworks, can I ask a link for your lut? (I tried the Dropbox link without luck)

many thanks !

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm currently experimenting with my newly acquired SL2S.

Unfortunately, the Leica Luts are no longer available on the Leica homepage. The links here also seem to stop working. Could someone provide these luts to me?

Thank you very much and of course a Happy New Year to everyone here!

Ronny

@Romius, here you go: https://jubelmeldung.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/Sp4cMLzB2etzSsr

And here you find a Rec2020 to Rec709 LUT which is for most of us the most meaningful LUT. Unfortunately, Leica doesn't provide that to its users (why?): https://jubelmeldung.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/aF9CY4aytmqLJmx

----

The SL2-S LUTs do an okay-ish job with caveats. As you will find out, the SL2-S’ video colour space is Rec2020. That has the significant advantage that the camera’s colour works nicely in Rec2020 with the full glory of its vast dynamic range (DR) (because Rec2020/HDR can retain the camera’s DR), but not so in the regular Rec709 colour space most of us work within.

Rec2020/HDR workflow:

To get the most out of the camera you have to film in L-log and work colour managed in your preferred NLE. Set the input to Rec2020 and the working space to Colour Managed (Resolve), HDR (FinalCut), or Rec2020/HDR in Premiere Pro. Then, you can use the Rec2020 LUT at the pipeline’s end. It won’t give you the contrast you might expect. However, it’s an accurate foundation for further grading. Or you grade off the flat log, which is working ok when you are used to that.

Rec709/SDR workflow:

Because Leica’s L-log lives in Rec2020, it will show the wrong colours in Rec709, except when using the two Leica LUTs (Natural and Classic) in their respective Rec709 flavours. Unfortunately, the two Rec709 LUsT aren’t only colour space conversion LUTs but also add some contrast. Whilst the former gives you the right colours, the latter will sacrifice the camera’s mighty dynamic range to Rec709’s limited contacts range. 

To avoid that, I supply you with the Rec2020 to Rec709 LUT, which only transforms the colour spaces but doesn't add contrast. That way, highlights and shadows are retained. However, the picture's flat log look will remain, albeit with the right colour.

---

Perhaps you might find my short review on the SL2-S for useful: 

Edited by hansvons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you very much for the download links and your hints! Your video is great. By the way, I've also had the combination of the SL2S and the excellent SL 24-90 for a few days.

If I see it correctly, the first link is to a firmware file. I don't quite understand that, which may also be due to the fact that I come from Germany and rely on the help of Google Translate. 😉

Is the second link the original Leica LUT or where does it come from? I saw in a video that until recently, Leica had apparently also made a LUT available. See Attachment.

I will definitely try them out once. Are you just starting to understand the difference between Rec709 and Rec2020. So far I thought that Rec2020 would only be available when I was filming in HDR.

I'm working with Davinci Resolve and I'm just starting out with these topics. That's why I'm very happy about the support. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that many users in the german part of the forum, who deal with the topic of video.

Best regards, Ronny

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@Romius, You can contact me offline at hans at von sonntag.com. I'm German, that will solve some problems :)

You are right, I posted the wrong link. Here you are: https://jubelmeldung.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/SqM975LFKtWYxss

57 minutes ago, Romius said:

I will definitely try them out once. Are you just starting to understand the difference between Rec709 and Rec2020. So far I thought that Rec2020 would only be available when I was filming in HDR.

With the Sl2-S, the Alexa, and many more cameras you basically film automatically in HDR mode when you use their log profiles.

Grüße,

Hans

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

@hansvons

Dear Hans,

thank you for your intensive information provided above. Am new to the Leica SL2-S video world and want to record now with the Ninja V in ProRes editing and my NLE of choice will be FCPX.

Understand I will need to record in L-log, which can be monitored in the Ninja V with either the Leica natural or classic Rec2020 LUT after uploading those files to the Ninja. However the next step is a bit of a struggle for my mind currently. After importing to FCPX I will need to put the L-log recorded file into a Rec2020 timeline. As usual the LUT classic or either natural goes last step as effect and will select again the 2020 version. Got it, but what if I have to export to Rec709 for regular non 4k TVs? Select output of the custom LUT effect to Rec709? Which would still give me an warning in the export dialog, or do I have to use the Rec709 timeline?

Highly appreciated if you could shed some light on that last step :) 

Hello Ole,

The trick is working colour-managed. That means that the NLE manages the colour spaces. Basically, there are three relevant colour spaces. 1) the camera's colour space (that is Rec 2020 when using L-Log (the original SL L-Log is Rec709 based if I recall correctly). That working space is called scene-referred, 2) the NLE's colour space (that should be larger than the camera's colour space or on par. In HDR mode, that's the case. In SDR/Rec709 not). That is the working colour space, 3) the display's colour space, which is in most cases still Rec709/full HD (who owns a proper HDR UHD display?). That's the display-referred colour space. 

I have no idea how FCPX handles all that because I don't use it for work. But my uneducated guess is that you can select that somewhere. You could read the manual (males don't do that) or test-drive your workflow by working in HDR, exporting a clip, and checking colour in the regular QT-Player. If that meets your expectations, all is good. If not, you might want to investigate the FCPX export workflow. 

Hope that helps.

• 9 months later...
7 hours ago, Requiem84 said:

@hansvons Hey Hans, 

Sorry to disturb but is it still possible to ask for the Rec2020 to Rec709 LUT? I was alittle too late coming in here to download and the link has expired already. Really appreciate it and love the work you do!

Hi, 

I have the link for Leica SL2-S - Leica Look Up Tables (LUT)
https://leica-camera.com/en-int/downloads?download_area_category=1171&download_area_subcategory=1127&field_media_document_topic=1695&field_media_document_language=984

It was under category Leica SL system , subcategory Leica Sl cameras , topic tools and software...

Nikola

Are there IDTs (Leica) and ODTs to work in ACES? 
Has Leica released anything like the other camera manufacturers or will they do so soon? It will be quite legitimate, won't it, even if their sauce remains secret?

Edited by RG75

28 minutes ago, RG75 said:

can make your own if you're familiar with the matrix details and the formats for the grading software you're using

https://www.colour-science.org:8010/apps/rgb_colourspace_transformation_matrix?input-colourspace=ACES2065-1&output-colourspace=ACES2065-1&chromatic-adaptation-transform=Bianco+2010&formatter=str&decimals=10

Input Transform Guide.pdf

Edited by frame-it

Il y a 3 heures, frame-it a dit :

I know nothing about the mathematics of color ☺️ ; I use DaVinci Resolve (Studio version)

4 hours ago, RG75 said:

Has Leica released anything like the other camera manufacturers or will they do so soon? It will be quite legitimate, won't it, even if their sauce remains secret?

People here report great results using the generic Rec2020 IDT in Resolve. ODTs have nothing to do with cameras, you'll need to pick one (or more) that is appropriate for your project's deliverable(s).