L log setting

rafael_macia

Going slowly, but going .... I feel like I am crawling around the Potala.

You help is much appreciated! I want now to continue shooting in LOG. I am going to start a thread which asks for shooting styles with LOG. Underexpose  ... etc.

The LUT I am using is the Sony Slog 3 S Gamut 3 Cine to S log 2-709, using DaVinci Resolve 14, ......it works well. Sometimes results need to be darkened.

An effort:

"Sniffles"

https://player.vimeo...video/218696732

Edited by rafael_macia

I have taken a group of clips created a bin first and put the clips into the bin. Next I would like to apply a LUT to all. How would I do that, or rather can it be done? Would each clip need to have a node made and the LUT applied to it?

And most importantly.......... please if the procedure is complicated, just let me know that. I appreciate help but do not want to inconvenience you in any way.

the reason I ask is your help is because it is very uncomplicated ... most everything else with Video is ..

thanks again

no, you just right-click on a clip and select 3D LUT > Sony > S-log whatever its stupid name is :)

most likely, the image will snap into normal, but if you made an error in exposure and/or WB, you will have to do some work in nodes.

if you want your final result to look you see it on the screen, unclick "use mac monitor calibration" in the project settings > color management. YES, UNCLICK the sucker.

• Like 1

Going slowly, but going .... I feel like I am crawling around the Potala.

You help is much appreciated! I want now to continue shooting in LOG. I am going to start a thread which asks for shooting styles with LOG. Underexpose  ... etc.

The LUT I am using is the Sony Slog 3 S Gamut 3 Cine to S log 2-709, using DaVinci Resolve 14, ......it works well. Sometimes results need to be darkened.

An effort:

"Sniffles"

https://player.vimeo...video/218696732

I repeat: unselect "use mac display color profile for viewers" in project settings > color management. Choosing color science > DaVinci YRGB Color Managed will also help.

• Like 1

I began using DaVinci Resolve 14. The Final Cut Pro X was too "clunky" .... just to difficult to do some simple things.

DaVinci Resolve 14 is a free download. The "Studio" version, has some features, some need, but the free version covers most needs.

DaVinci Resolve is a deep program, a la Photoshop. I only know very little, but for the moment it is almost ... enough.

I repeat: unselect "use mac display color profile for viewers" in project settings > color management. Choosing color science > DaVinci YRGB Color Managed will also help.

I finally took your advice;

things somehow work smoother now. The monitor image resembles the finished image.

Thank you so much!

rm

✷please explain ;

"Choosing color science > DaVinci YRGB Color Managed will also help."

​I didn't find that anywhere.

Edited by rafael_macia

• 2 years later...

Hello, 

I have a question. I have the Leica SL2 and want to use the LOG profile. Somehow the LOG seems to have too much contrast. I have found some clips on YouTube of the SL showing its LOG profile and it seems somehow less contrasty than the LOG on my SL2. Does anybody of you have both cameras, to check this?

1 hour ago, sebas_ said:

I have a question. I have the Leica SL2 and want to use the LOG profile. Somehow the LOG seems to have too much contrast. I have found some clips on YouTube of the SL showing its LOG profile and it seems somehow less contrasty than the LOG on my SL2. Does anybody of you have both cameras, to check this?

The latest SL firmware (3.7) included this change:

Improved L-Log, which contains the latest developments on video post-production. Thus, SL and SL2 can be used with the same L-Log.

The two cameras should behave the same way if they are using current firmware.

On a related note, someone mentioned, in a different thread, that Leica suggests using "Arri Log C" pre-sets in your editing package. You should try those to see if they provide more natural contrast.

I should also mention that a lot of the YouTube clips for the Leica SL date back to the camera's introduction. Firmware updates made big changes to video processing, so you won't learn much from those old reviews. There was one specific problem with noise at ISO800 which was fixed very quickly by Leica, but will live forever on YT...

vor 23 Stunden schrieb BernardC:

I should also mention that a lot of the YouTube clips for the Leica SL date back to the camera's introduction. Firmware updates made big changes to video processing, so you won't learn much from those old reviews. There was one specific problem with noise at ISO800 which was fixed very quickly by Leica, but will live forever on YT...

vor 23 Stunden schrieb BernardC:

The latest SL firmware (3.7) included this change:

The two cameras should behave the same way if they are using current firmware.

On a related note, someone mentioned, in a different thread, that Leica suggests using "Arri Log C" pre-sets in your editing package. You should try those to see if they provide more natural contrast.

Hello BernardC!

Thank you for your answer!

That is good to see that there's one L-Log across all iterations of the SL. 

The L-Log somehow feels still very contrasty compared to other Logs. Just curious if that's just the L-Log or my camera behaves somehow special...
So I feel that applying the Arri LUT sometimes gives far too contrasty results.
I have attached a still of a L-Log clip. Have not applied any LUT here. 

Leica is working on a custom LUT for L-Log.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 hours ago, sebas_ said:

Hello BernardC!

Thank you for your answer!

That is good to see that there's one L-Log across all iterations of the SL. 

The L-Log somehow feels still very contrasty compared to other Logs. Just curious if that's just the L-Log or my camera behaves somehow special...
So I feel that applying the Arri LUT sometimes gives far too contrasty results.
I have attached a still of a L-Log clip. Have not applied any LUT here. 

Leica is working on a custom LUT for L-Log.

I think I get the same with L-Log, Arri Lut didn't work for me, so I have made my own

• Like 2

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

I think I get the same with L-Log, Arri Lut didn't work for me, so I have made my own

Thanks very much for your answer!
Seems that L-Log is a very contrasty Log format then. Somehow still strange as the ARRI LUT was the recommended go to solution. And, if I remember correctly, even Leica has had the goal to make L-Log similar to Arri Log....

Your LUT looks great! 

you can find the SL2 LUT here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjwabboj9fwo7xl/L-LOG-SL2.cube?dl=0

Consider it a starting point, you will need to adjust contrast and exposure depending of your capture. This LUT only brings back the color response and contrast , no other adjustment have been made

I found that underexposing by 2/3 stop was best to preserve light.

ARRI and SLOG profile didn't work for me since it is a different camera and you expose them in different ways.

L-Log is the only profile on this camera that does not apply sharpening, so consider that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Photoworks:

you can find the SL2 LUT here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjwabboj9fwo7xl/L-LOG-SL2.cube?dl=0

Consider it a starting point, you will need to adjust contrast and exposure depending of your capture. This LUT only brings back the color response and contrast , no other adjustment have been made

I found that underexposing by 2/3 stop was best to preserve light.

ARRI and SLOG profile didn't work for me since it is a different camera and you expose them in different ways.

L-Log is the only profile on this camera that does not apply sharpening, so consider that.

Thanks very much for sharing the LUT!!!! :)