L log setting

rafael_macia

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I turned L log setting to on, and the monitor image looked flat, along with the resulting videos shot.  I understand that is normal. Supposedly it is the preferred mode to shoot for professional post processing. 

With L log turned off the monitor image looks representative.

When I brought the flat L log clips into Final Cut Pro X and tweaked them, they looked beautiful. When exporting them to a desktop folder they again looked flat.

What am I doing wrong? After tweaking, I must need to save my efforts, no?

Video shooters; How would you set L log  ........"on or off" 

Why? your reasons for doing so.

Sorry for the questions but shooting video in with the SL has completely taken over my photography.

Rafael

Edited by rafael_macia

If you are just starting out with video then I would forget about the l-log setting for a while and just shoot in the standard colour mode.  Log gives your more dynamic range and ability to adjust your image in post, but if you are not familiar with shooting and grading log you might not be very happy with your results.  The standard colour mode with contrast, saturation and sharpness turned down is still quite nice and easier to deal with, just make sure you get your white balance right.  Saying that I am finding L-log when you get the exposure correct to be quite beautiful -the noise at lower iso's is all luma noise and gives a very pleasing grain and texture to the image.  It is some of the best looking and filmic 8 bit footage I've seen.

Edited by matnz
  • Like 1

I turned L log setting to on, and the monitor image looked flat, along with the resulting videos shot.  I understand that is normal. Supposedly it is the preferred mode to shoot for professional post processing. 

With L log turned off the monitor image looks representative.

When I brought the flat L log clips into Final Cut Pro X and tweaked them, they looked beautiful. When exporting them to a desktop folder they again looked flat.

What am I doing wrong? After tweaking, I must need to save my efforts, no?

Video shooters; How would you set L log  ........"on or off" 

Why? your reasons for doing so.

Sorry for the questions but shooting video in with the SL has completely taken over my photography.

Rafael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

I agree with matnz.  Results I have gotten with L-log turned off have stunned me quality-wise. 

It was only by accident, that I turned on L-log setting, and initially thought something wrong. But as I research more I understand why things are shot that way.

I have returned to shooting, button set to off ..... for the time being.

I will experiment with downloading some LUTs I came across. The clips I shot, with L-log turned on need to be saved.

thanks

rafael

Don't get carried away with LUTs. The only one that you need is Sony S-Log3SGamut3.CineToLog2-709, which seems to be the closest fit to turn L-Log footage into something that looks very similar to the real scene.

FCPX and DaVinci Resolve Studio work much like Lightroom with its non-destructive editing approach. So, after you are done editing, color correcting and grading, you need to export the final result in some common format appropriate for its intended use. If you want to work on the flick some more, like in AfterEffects, or Motion, export in UltraHD ProResHQ. If you want to upload it on youtube, or facebook, export as 1080p H.264 MP4. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This LUT comes with DaVinci Resolve. Since I do primary color correction only in Resolve, I don't know whether FCPX, or Premiere has it. However, it is super easy to get the file, as in Resolve>Project settings>Color Management there is a button "open LUT folder", or something along those lines.

If you send to agency, export as UltraHD ProResHQ 10-bit, provided you have a capability to shoot in 10-bit.

• Like 1

You are talking Da Vinci resolve 12.5 i think .... I downloaded their new 14 beta 

I don't know ... with the SL Do ? I have the capacity to shoot in 10 bit ?

this is all kind of new to me

(shooting Leica since'69.......long time ..)

thanks

You are talking Da Vinci resolve 12.5 i think .... I downloaded their new 14 beta 

thanks

It does not matter whether 12.5 or 14. The SonyL3 LUT is still there. To apply it, right-click on a clip, and a menu pops up. Go to 3D LUTs > Sony and choose the one you need.

SL shoots in 8-bit color internally, but if you are using an external HDMI recorder (now I am guessing that you do not), the footage can be captured by the recorder in 10-bit color. In addition, you can record in an uncompressed Apple ProResHQ format, which. alone with 10-bit color will give you the best quality footage at any resolution.

Now, about the resolution. Most HDMI recorders (at least those that are not insanely expensive) cannot do full aperture 4K giving you the maximum of UltraHD. This on itself is not a problem, as the difference in resolution is miniscule. The problem is, however, is that SL does UltraHD only in 25 (NTSC-compliant) and 30 (PAL compliant) fps, but not in 24. This is really annoying, if you are after the cinematic look. UltraHD is a TV format, that's why they sync it to either 50, or 60Hz, which at this moment is almost pointless, as all new TV sets are at least 120Hz anyway.

thanks

Almost forgot... One more thing: if you want to shoot 10-bit UltraHD, stock up on a 2ft HDMI 2.0 cable and the fastest SDXC UHS-II cards that you can find, something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexar-128GB-Professional-2000x-UHS-II-U3-SDXC-Memory-Card-LSD128CRBNA2000R-/371856124239?hash=item56945a294f:g:ZbcAAOSw7GRZCGhE

128GB card will give you 20 minutes of ProResHQ UltraHD 10-bit footage. If you try to use cards with less than 105Mb/sec write speed, it WILL be dropping frames.

Ok Irakly, Thank you so much for the information.

I gave up with getting LUTS into FCPX. I got the Sony LUT in, and yes the results were very nice ....but it was impossible to export a finished clip with the applied LUT. It came into the folder looking as it did before having the LUT applied.

so ......

I started with DaVinci Resolve. First with the new 14, and as there were no tutorials available because the upgrade is new, and I need to learn it, I backtracked and got DaVinci Resolve Studio 12.5.

I applied the Sony LUT to clips in 12.5, but again somehow cannot export the finished product.

Most often exported clips with LUTs applied end up as ".drp" files

I have watched many You Tube tutorials but to no avail.

So I am kind of lost.

So lost .......I may actually buy a book on how to ....12.5

✷Brainstorm ... joined the Blackmagic forum

Your ballet shots are great !

thanks again

Rafael

✷ Also regarding your recommendation about SD cards;

Here is Leica's suggestions;

LEICA SL

UHS-I: 

All UHS-I SD cards

UHS-II:

Recommended cards**:

SANDISK

EXTREME PRO UHS-II CLASS 3 (16GB) (32GB) (64GB)

LEXAR

PROFESSIONAL 1000x UHS-II CLASS 3 (16GB) (32GB) (64GB) (128GB) (256GB)

PROFESSIONAL 2000x UHS-II CLASS 3 (32GB) (64GB)

TOSHIBA

EXCERIA PRO CLASS 1 (16GB) (32GB) (64GB) (128GB)

EXCERIA PRO CLASS 3 (16GB) (32GB) (64GB) (128GB)

TRANSCEND

ULTIMATE UHS-II CLASS 3 (32GB) (64GB)

(As I am primarily shooting 20-30 second clips in 4K, I use a couple of 32 GB Trancend (a company which has never failed me quality-wise) cards)

Edited by rafael_macia

Rafael, a .drp file is the Resolve project file, which contains information about your edit, color corrections, etc.  To export a finished video, you need to do so from the Deliver page of Resolve.  Download the manual and read up on the how to use that section of the program and on the Deliver parameters.

Edited by erudolph
  • Like 1

add the DNG to resolves bin, go to the color page, add the LUT, add node-serial..do any further adjustment.. go to deliver page..set options on the left and process the clip

Ok Irakly, Thank you so much for the information.

I gave up with getting LUTS into FCPX. I got the Sony LUT in, and yes the results were very nice ....but it was impossible to export a finished clip with the applied LUT. It came into the folder looking as it did before having the LUT applied.

so ......

I started with DaVinci Resolve. First with the new 14, and as there were no tutorials available because the upgrade is new, and I need to learn it, I backtracked and got DaVinci Resolve Studio 12.5.

I applied the Sony LUT to clips in 12.5, but again somehow cannot export the finished product.

Most often exported clips with LUTs applied end up as ".drp" files

I have watched many You Tube tutorials but to no avail.

So I am kind of lost.

So lost .......I may actually buy a book on how to ....12.5

✷Brainstorm ... joined the Blackmagic forum

Your ballet shots are great !

thanks again

Rafael

✷ Also regarding your recommendation about SD cards;

Here is Leica's suggestions;

LEICA SL

UHS-I: 

All UHS-I SD cards

UHS-II:

Recommended cards**:

SANDISK

EXTREME PRO UHS-II CLASS 3 (16GB) (32GB) (64GB)

LEXAR

PROFESSIONAL 1000x UHS-II CLASS 3 (16GB) (32GB) (64GB) (128GB) (256GB)

PROFESSIONAL 2000x UHS-II CLASS 3 (32GB) (64GB)

TOSHIBA

EXCERIA PRO CLASS 1 (16GB) (32GB) (64GB) (128GB)

EXCERIA PRO CLASS 3 (16GB) (32GB) (64GB) (128GB)

TRANSCEND

ULTIMATE UHS-II CLASS 3 (32GB) (64GB)

(As I am primarily shooting 20-30 second clips in 4K, I use a couple of 32 GB Trancend (a company which has never failed me quality-wise) cards)

• Like 1

There is a small set of LUTs already in FCPX, including the Arri and Sony ones that people have mentioned.  You can use them, modify them and export the result.   It's finding them that is difficult.  When I get lost in FCP, I ask Google, and spend a few minutes with one of the many videos that address the question, such as just one example (it lists several others):

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial-applying-luts-to-log-footage/

scott 

PS:  I'm using Lexar 1000, since they are fast and cheap, and so far have not given me any problems.

• Like 1

add the DNG to resolves bin, go to the color page, add the LUT, add node-serial..do any further adjustment.. go to deliver page..set options on the left and process the clip

The clip is a .mov not a DNG. Isn't DNG a stills designation?

sure,

but in that case

add the mov to resolves bin, go to the color page, add the LUT, add node-serial..do any further adjustment.. go to deliver page..set options on the left and process the clip

fyi you can load all your leica DNG stills into resolve as well

The clip is a .mov not a DNG. Isn't DNG a stills designation?

• Like 1

sure,

but in that case

add the mov to resolves bin, go to the color page, add the LUT, add node-serial..do any further adjustment.. go to deliver page..set options on the left and process the clip

fyi you can load all your leica DNG stills into resolve as well

I have taken a group of clips created a bin first and put the clips into the bin. Next I would like to apply a LUT to all. How would I do that, or rather can it be done? Would each clip need to have a node made and the LUT applied to it?

And most importantly.......... please if the procedure is complicated, just let me know that. I appreciate help but do not want to inconvenience you in any way.

the reason I ask is your help is because it is very uncomplicated ... most everything else with Video is ..

thanks again

Edited by rafael_macia