Okay so you know I wanted a small bag for the Leica System? Found it!!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently I created a thread stating I'd like a bag that can carry an M with a lens, plus two other lenses. I picked up a small bag for £16GBP from a local store and it worked brilliantly. Then, for traveling, I decided more space would be useful, for things such as my laptop, so I picked up a Tenba Cooper Slim 13. This was great as well.

Then, however, I watched something that made me realise how easy it is for thieves to steal a bag off your shoulders, and I wondered if there was a safer option. Now I'm not saying it's foolproof, and if a weapon came out they could have anything, of course, I'm not daft. But as a deterrent, I think this is the best bag I have ever found.

http://amzn.to/2pPsHAw

Camsafe_LX10_15650100_Black.jpg

This bag is incredibly boring to look at, and unassuming, but its key feature is the steel running through the strap. Therefore, the strap is slash-resistant. The strap literally locks on to the bag in such a way that it can't be just snapped off. 

The space inside the bag is ideal. I've only just received it but it will easily fit an M with a lens and I'd say three or four other lenses, but it's still a small bag and it's slim which is more important.

There's an outer zipped pocked with a loop to thread the toggle of the zip through, making even this section safe, plus there's a couple of SD card pockets inside, elasticated pockets either side externally for drinks, and a belt type section for linking it to your luggage handle as you walk through an airport etc.

So it's like a mini safe for your Leica that's not terribly expensive and has a good amount of space.

As an aside, I'll leave the camera in my bag a lot, but for when I am using the camera, I've also picked up one of their shoulder straps which feature the same slash resistant build.

That's located here: http://amzn.to/2rjFddH

I bought everything on Amazon UK but I'm sure it's available elsewhere as well.

• Like 2

Nice to have a slash proof strap. How slash proof is your shoulder :) ?

I doubt it's at all slash proof, but that's not really the idea :-) I've heard people walking in certain areas of spain where scooter drivers come along side, slash a handbag and head off in to the distance. This would certainly make that scenario more difficult.

I doubt it's at all slash proof, but that's not really the idea :-) I've heard people walking in certain areas of spain where scooter drivers come along side, slash a handbag and head off in to the distance. This would certainly make that scenario more difficult.

If the strap doesn't snap, it's very likely you will get dragged along the street together with the camera bag. You will then not only lose your camera but maybe your life as well.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pacsafe bags have been mentioned in various other threads...and always generate the same controversy.... for better or worse.

I think some of the $900+ Oberwerth bags have similarly reinforced straps... but the feature is lesser known and marketed.... so discussions focus on the luxurious appearance.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Okay well I was hoping this post would be helpful. If you're concerned about the strap, it's removable and the bag itself could be put on any shoulder strap. It's a very spacious bag for its size.

@w44neg: I appreciate your contribution to this thread. Where I live, out in the sticks, crime is not a problem. All the same it is different when one travels to known hot spots like Barcelona with bandits everywhere. Most bandits are after Canikons so having what looks like an old film camera round your shoulder is not too much temptation for the average robber. However, I'd rather leave my kit in a hotel safe when visiting a well-known bandit area.

@w44neg: I appreciate your contribution to this thread. Where I live, out in the sticks, crime is not a problem. All the same it is different when one travels to known hot spots like Barcelona with bandits everywhere. Most bandits are after Canikons so having what looks like an old film camera round your shoulder is not too much temptation for the average robber. However, I'd rather leave my kit in a hotel safe when visiting a well-known bandit area.

Thank you Peter for your enthusiastic propaganda about Barcelona "town of bandits". May be you are living surrounded by angels.

Every big city has bad zones, even yours.

Francisco

(This is my last comment)

• Like 2

Thank you Peter for your enthusiastic propaganda about Barcelona "town of bandits". May be you are living surrounded by angels.

Every big city has bad zones, even yours.

Francisco

(This is my last comment)

I don't live in a city. I live in open countryside. I appreciate your comment all the same.

Peter

If the strap doesn't snap, it's very likely you will get dragged along the street together with the camera bag. You will then not only lose your camera but maybe your life as well.

I am one to question that. A stationary resistance will upset the scooter-trash. Perhaps we should try it.

If I were just a little evil, I would start a campaign to set up what appear to be likely victims to bag/camera thieves and the perps would escape with the item which contains an explosive load of gentian violet die (takes weeks to leave skin). If I were more evil the payload would be plastique explosive which ignited much later when it got to their home to take out the whole nest. Okay, the later is a fantasy, but you understand.

Edited by pico

A stationery pedestrian versus a moving vehicle. Which has more kinetic energy? Unless the pedestrian is anchored to something very firm then the scooter has the advantage.

I condemn explosives unless for bonfire night so let's ignore your fantasy until 5th November.

Your sentiments are OK. The practicality is unfortunately flawed. 

Please come up with another idea. :)

Some years ago a friend of my mother's went to Italy on holidays. She always wore very expensive big bling gold jewellery - the real thing.  Being a canny traveller she only tool costume jewellery overseas.  So she's at a crossing in Rome when a pillion passenger on a moped grabbed her 'gold' necklace. Outraged and not thinking a struggle ensued with him still on the moped. The thief got her necklace but she got his.  He got $400 worth of crap and she got an $8000 gold necklace. 

There is a god after all :-)

Edited by MarkP

Wise caution is necessary everywhere, including home, regardless of where you live!

But don't let it rule your life. You only live once. Don't waste it.

I have travelled Barcelona a number of times over the years. Only once was I accosted by a would be thief. I pointed to his head, with my hands simulated splitting a coconut and then started swinging my M6 by the wrist strap and advanced on him. I think he is still running, which probably saved the alignment of my VF. A year or so ago, I was travelling Vietnam with a companion. She had a shoulder bag which became the target of a solo scooter bike rider, who mounted the footpath to make the grab. She hung on as he grabbed the strap and very nearly dismounted him. She kept the bag.

I never let such episodes dissuade me as I know just as many events happen at home. The worst accident to my cameras happen in my own hands!

All the above named cities, and other, are safe to travel, but only if you are not stupid about security. Excessive security is just that. Excessive!