Leica Ends Free Sensor Replacement for M9/Monochrom Bodies

Roberto Watson

• 2 months later...

New info on the sensor repair/replacement program: http://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2017/CCD-sensors-of-the-Leica-M9-M9-P-M-Monochrom-and-M-E-camera-models

[...]

Until 15 August 2017, we will continue to offer free replacement of sensors for these camera models if they are affected by the corrosion problem. This will also apply after 16 August 2017 for the models listed above, but only in cases where the cameras have been purchased as new products within the last five years.

From 16 August 2017, and until further notice, we will offer our customers the following new programme for all camera models mentioned above that were purchased longer than five years ago. Here, the customer pays a share of the replacement costs for the affected CCD sensor amounting to 982 euros (825 euros plus 19% VAT). Included in this programme is a free general overhaul* of your Leica M camera and a one year warranty on the same terms as for new products. This offer expresses our commitment to conserving the value of your camera.

[...]

• Like 1

I lost the receipt from my Monochrom CCD from 2014. I hope they can honor the Q&A that they have on their site:

Q&A:

HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHETHER MY LEICA M IS MORE THAN FIVE YEARS OLD?

The date on which you purchased your camera as a new product applies. The sales receipt serves as proof of the date of purchase. If you no longer have your sales receipt, the age of the camera will be determined from its serial number. In this case, the date on which it was supplied to the dealer applies.

Edited by TheBogart
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sure many of you received the same email this morning.  It's pasted below for any who didn't.

I must confess to surprise that Leica would end their program.  I can't but imagine that the financial burden they took on because of it has largely been absorbed.  Surely there is a declining number of bodies coming back because of sensor corrosion?  It would seem to me that customer ill will at the program's termination will trump any remaining cost.

Regardless, it's a sad day.  It would seem that even in the face of gross engineering and/or manufacturing error(s) - which were not Leica's in this instance, but nevertheless they remain responsible for them - that new digital, timeless Leica you just bought can be considered good for... precisely five years.

Latest information concerning the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models

Following the successfully implemented and largely completed replacement program for corroded sensors that affected M9, M9-P, M Monochrom and M-E camera models, we would now like to inform you about how this program will be handled in the future. 

Until August 15, 2017, we will continue to offer free replacement of sensors for these camera models if they are affected by the corrosion problem. This will also apply after August 16, 2017 for the models listed above, but only in cases where the cameras have been purchased as new products within the last five years. 

From August 16, 2017, and until further notice, we will offer our customers the following new program for all camera models mentioned above that were purchased more than five years ago. Here, the customer pays a portion of the replacement costs for the affected CCD sensor amounting to 982 euros (825 euros plus 19% VAT). In addition to this we also offer you a free general overhaul* of your Leica M camera and a one year warranty in line with the same terms as for new products. This offer expresses our commitment to conserving the value of your camera. 

We have also revised our upgrade offers with more attractive terms for our customers. Instead of a sensor replacement, we offer our customers the alternative option of sending us their camera affected by sensor corrosion as partial payment for the purchase of selected Leica M camera models of the Typ 240 generation at even more attractive terms. Leica Customer Care will be pleased to inform and advise interested customers about the terms and conditions of the upgrade offer. 

With regard to the above, we would like to remind you that the replacement of CCD sensors and the upgrade offers apply only to cameras confirmed to be affected by this problem, and only to the models of the Leica M-System we have listed above. Preventive replacement of sensors is not included in this program.

*The general overhaul of the Leica M-camera includes the following items: 

• Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms 

• Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel 

• Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial 

• Adjustment of the baseplate locking system 

• Refurbishing of engravings 

• Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate 

• Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays

• Like 4

...but only in cases where the cameras have been purchased as new products within the last five years. 

Do I read correctly then that my purchased second-hand MM will not be covered after 16th August?

• Like 1

...but only in cases where the cameras have been purchased as new products within the last five years. 

Do I read correctly then that my purchased second-hand MM will not be covered after 16th August?

yep.

but in other hand:

Q&A:

HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHETHER MY LEICA M IS MORE THAN FIVE YEARS OLD?

The date on which you purchased your camera as a new product applies. The sales receipt serves as proof of the date of purchase. If you no longer have your sales receipt, the age of the camera will be determined from its serial number. In this case, the date on which it was supplied to the dealer applies.

Edited by TheBogart
  • Like 1

Not sure that this 5 year limitation is actually legally sustainable, depending on where you live and what the legal coverage against "hidden defects" is (= inherent in the camera's design, as the corroded sensor really is). The distinction between original owner and subsequent ownership can, sadly, probably be legally sustained.

Edited by leicapages
  • Like 1

They did that previously anyway there just listing it now to make you feel better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they? I remember taking up the offer of, and paying for, an enhanced service similar to the one now described. At the time I also took up the option on recovering in a 'A la carte' leather, at a cost of course.  

Did they? I remember taking up the offer of, and paying for, an enhanced service similar to the one now described. At the time I also took up the option on recovering in a 'A la carte' leather, at a cost of course.  

I will see what they actually did to my M9 when I get it back within the next 1-2 weeks.

This is terrible news and a direct reversal of what they originally said!

My M9P has corrosion and has been like this for about two years, I was waiting to get it fixed when it got worse as there was no rush because Leica said that they would always repair a corroded sensor!!. Now I will get it sent to them ASAP.

A PR disaster for Leica - sell a faulty designed product and then decide NOT to stand by what they originally promised. I am NOT impressed and it will definitely affect my future investment in Leica products.

Agreed, 100%

• Like 11

This is terrible news and a direct reversal of what they originally said!

My M9P has corrosion and has been like this for about two years, I was waiting to get it fixed when it got worse as there was no rush because Leica said that they would always repair a corroded sensor!!. Now I will get it sent to them ASAP.

A PR disaster for Leica - sell a faulty designed product and then decide NOT to stand by what they originally promised. I am NOT impressed and it will definitely affect my future investment in Leica products.

Note to self: visualise the M10 (in all its electronic glory) after five years, every time I am tempted to pay USD 6,895 excl tax for it.

• Like 4

White halos, I'd say corrosion.

www.robertpoolephotography.com

I agree with Robert - looks like corrosion to me (and I've been lucky to have seen it twice!) Great news - you've just doubled the value of your camera body.. Edited by Denys
  • Like 1