Leica Ends Free Sensor Replacement for M9/Monochrom Bodies

Roberto Watson

Oh boy, looks like me too. Never noticed anything but this looks weird. Does this mean I should contact Leica right away to try to get in under the wire? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

33 minutes ago, carbon_dragon said:

Well, did a little research, but I expect since I bought it used, the best option I can hope for is for Leica to give me a discount on a new sensor. I sent them an email and we'll see what they say. 😧

Depends on when it was bought new. If it is within the 5 year limit,  you're OK.

Yeah, expensive. I might just have to console myself with the fact that with a new sensor, a full maintenance, etc., it will be kind of like a brand new camera. What is the upgrade cost to the M240 I wonder? Probably would still want to have it fixed. It's going to hurt though.

Regarding the 5 year limit, I don't know since I didn't buy it new. I sent them the serial number though. If they DO repair it free, they will probably make me want to buy the next one new.

Edited by carbon_dragon

the 240 will be bigger and heavier. the DNGs will look different. but then you’ll also have video capability. if that is an option, handle the camera and see if you like it. also, $3000 is more than $1000. then there is the wait. my monochrom took 6 months. worth every minute (though it was still under warranty).

the worst thing is to miss the m9 each time you pick up the 240.

2 hours ago, carbon_dragon said:

Yeah, expensive. I might just have to console myself with the fact that with a new sensor, a full maintenance, etc., it will be kind of like a brand new camera. What is the upgrade cost to the M240 I wonder? Probably would still want to have it fixed. It's going to hurt though.

Regarding the 5 year limit, I don't know since I didn't buy it new. I sent them the serial number though. If they DO repair it free, they will probably make me want to buy the next one new.

It is a European factory. They don't (are not allowed to) differentiate between first and subsequent owners. You will need proof of first purchase, though.

2 hours ago, carbon_dragon said:

Last M9 was made in 2012... In 2017 serial numbers _ manufacturing year data was availible for M9 series made upto 2015. My M-E is one of last one made in 2015. 

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Last M9 was made in 2012... In 2017 serial numbers _ manufacturing year data was availible for M9 series made upto 2015. My M-E is one of last one made in 2015. 

However, date of manufacture is not necessarily date of sale.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

However, date of manufacture is not necessarily date of sale.

No. My M-E was purchased from official dealer in 2016. Camera was not trendy for this upscale location and was collecting dust under original price tag for one year. By this time exchange rate was different and as result it was 3000 USD new M-E for me. :).

38 minutes ago, carbon_dragon said:

Is there a link I can use to get the year of manufacture anyway?

Not really, Leica's numbers are no reliable indication. However Leica will know exactly when the camera was shipped to the dealer. In my case they used that as the guaranty date when I lost the receipt of one camera, however, I don't know whether they still follow this policy. In any case, make sure you deal with Leica Wetzlar, not with local representatives or importers.

12 hours ago, carbon_dragon said:

Oh boy, looks like me too. Never noticed anything but this looks weird. Does this mean I should contact Leica right away to try to get in under the wire? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

With a week to spare before the price increase, I would just send it in ASAP.  You have nothing to lose but could save $600.  If it's within the 5-year deadline, Leica will do it free of charge, if not, you pay for it.  That is their policy and there are no exceptions.