Leica Ends Free Sensor Replacement for M9/Monochrom Bodies

Roberto Watson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hard to tell but one of those spots looks like it could be 'corrosion' - it has a kind of halo effect around the spot. 

If you've just bought the camera and you bought from a dealer you could return it as faulty, or just send it to Leica now and get a new sensor while you still can. 

Hard to tell but one of those spots looks like it could be 'corrosion' - it has a kind of halo effect around the spot. 

If you've just bought the camera and you bought from a dealer you could return it as faulty, or just send it to Leica now and get a new sensor while you still can. 

Its hard to tell on the low grade picture they let me post here, but several spots around the complete image have the halo around it. 

So now i have to try to figure out about sending it.

Do the new sensors they put currently have the corrosions problem fixed?

can you see in the image above, if this is dirt or sensor corrosion?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The camera is still in mint condition with no signs of sensor corrosion. But i have to send it in now that it is still free, and not wait for the sensor to corrode eventually. If i wait, i probably won't be able to afford to get the replacement.

The notice said, "free replacement of sensors for these camera models if they are affected by the corrosion problem." No corrosion, no service.

Edited by pico

... Only a percentage of sensors was affected and given that the number of reports has dropped dramatically to virtually zero, it is unlikely that the rest of the sensors will exhibit corrosion at all...

Source?

• Like 2

Does anyone know whether replaced sensors will develop corrosion (apart from the very early replacements, which we know did not last)?

Cheers, Chris

Nobody can predict whether an older sensor will develop corrosion or not, but the newer sensors used for replacement are corrosion-resistant.

In December 2016 I went to Melbourne and took with me a few Leica items that needed servicing at Camera Clinic.

As I was down there I brought in my Monochrom v1 for a sensor check although I couldn't see any problems myself. Early sensor corrosion was identified and the sensor was replaced (with one of the new design sensors) free as per the replacement programme.

If I had not done this the corrosion would not have been picked up until the problem was more advanced and not have been covered by Leica!

I would advise ALL other owners to have a low threshold for having their camera sensors checked before the programme lapses.

Edited by MarkP

I'm really disappointed in LEICA !!!  How am I to know when and if my sensor will corrode and then be liable to have to pay to replace what is a defective part to begin with.  Its like sitting on a ticking bomb, not knowing when it will go off.  

'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'

• Like 1

Dear Leica Customer Care,

When I visited Wetzlar a couple of years ago you were kind enough to check my M Monochrom. You found early sensor corrosion and offered me a repair or an upgrade. I chose the repair. The sensor was replaced with the original specification sensor but I was told not to worry because if that sensor corroded in a similar way it would be replaced whenever that might happen. I recall there was an information notice issued to that effect. 

Perhaps you can imagine my disappointment and horror to note the most recent notice you issued which, if I read it correctly, states that, if corrosion is detected on the sensor of my MM after 16th August this year, I will be expected to pay close to 1000€ as a contribution to the repair. 

After all that was promised at the time Leica has reneged which makes me sad and angry that a brand in which I have had the utmost confidence and respect could stoop so low to let customers, friends, down so badly.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Davies

• Like 12

I was taken aback when I received this email. I read it several times, thinking I did not understand what they meant the first few times, only to realise they actually cancel free fix for us loyal, long-term customers owning M9 for example. I posted this on their Facebook page.

"I just received your email on "Latest information concerning the Leica M9...."

Why are you "punishing" long-term customers owning the CCD cameras by ending your free support of faulty sensors? This means your most loyal, long-term customers, that caused you the least service cost over the past decade are the least rewarded. This makes no sense to me.

And the max upgrade offer to the 240 with the M10 in the market? What is that all about? Dumping inventory? Please show us real Leica life-time support!

This appears put together by a person with a spreadsheet, not someone who cares for customers and photography!

Kind regards, Knut"

​I like Leica products and have respected their attitude towards customers so far. Now I feel they wear down this loyalty and I wonder if a customer rally on socially media is called for? I found no contact method directly to Leica on their site, only through their retail partners. Any suggestions on how we can get a message back to Leica?

• Like 4

This is a massive own goal by Leica. It was a good and honourable thing they did to promise to replace the faulty sensors for free, but now to renege on that promise is worse than if they had never done the right thing in the first place. Many people in the meantime will have bought second-hand cameras of the M9 generation in good faith, and now many of them are going to be landed with a bill of €982 for sensor replacement. And all of our M9-type cameras are going to be worth rather less if we wish to sell - as I was intending to do to buy an M10. Leica overnight has very sadly become a much less attractive company to the consumer than it was.

Edited by Musotographer
  • Like 6

Horrible news, can any of you m9 old-timers give your opinion over my sensor, this shot is from blue sky over stockholm with f16 this

morning. My understanding is that the black spot is dust the other ones can be corrosion. What's the best way to send the camera to Leica 

from Sweden, I can not see that we have any certified service centers or dealers here

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Brgds Janne

:wacko: ... not a nice policy, and looking at this statement :

"Here, the customer pays a portion of the replacement costs for the affected CCD sensor amounting to 982 euros (825 euros plus 19% VAT). In addition to this we also offer you a free general overhaul* of your Leica M camera and a one year warranty..."

I think that they could have established a slightly different policy , which probably would have resulted in net costs for Leica not much different, and a much better image for the brand : keep the priniciple (and maintain the promise...) that sensor replacement ONLY is free.. and offer, for cameras > 5 years old, this "general overhaul with warranty" at a decent price (5-600 Euros + VAT) : should I own a > 5 years M9 I wouldn't hesitate to spend a decent amount for a good factory CLA with warranty: after all it means to have an "almost brand new" camera.

I mean, why offering a "free general overhaul"  (which isn't DUE for a >5 years old camera) and ask payment for a recognized product defect ?  The "free" term is perceived as a trivial joke... Make vice-versa... net cost effects won't be much different, and perception by users will be much better, with a long term effect on customers fidelization that will overcome the marginal addon costs 

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 9