Leica Ends Free Sensor Replacement for M9/Monochrom Bodies

Roberto Watson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

....I don't see how Leica can legally change this policy when many people, like me, purchased cameras under the promise that sensors developing the corrosion problem AT ANY FUTURE TIME would have the defective sensors replaced at no charge. That was Stephan Daniel's word....

Can you share where that was promised? I've never seen anything that stated or suggested "AT ANY FUTURE TIME."  

Leica's original language ("This goodwill arrangement applies regardless of the age of the camera...") can sensibly be interpreted as applying to the announcement date and previously.

To interpret this statement otherwise suggests they warranty the sensor for perpetuity, which to me is not a reasonable expectation. Certainly I always expected the good faith program to end one day. 

John 
Edited by johnwolf
  • Like 1

While Leica is generally very good towards 2nd-hand buyers, it is not possible to register a product if (any of) the previous owner(s) still appears as the owner in Leica's books. The buyer of a 2nd-hand camera/lens may not be able to track down the registered owner and is in any case then relying on the good will of said person to cancel their registration at Leica. I know this, because this is my situation with one Leica item. There may therefore actually be many owners who have no idea about the policy change.

This is a very good point.  I think it is important for us to de-register our serialized Leica products upon sale or transfer.

• Like 1

This is a very good point. I think it is important for us to de-register our serialized Leica products upon sale or transfer.

With proper documentation, Leica can unilaterally de-register a previous owner so that you can register your product. I know this because I've had it done.

Edited by fotografr

With proper documentation, Leica can unilaterally de-register a previous owner so that you can register your product. I know this because I've had it done.

Care to share what such proper documentation is? I have been unable to achieve this through Leica customer service.

I place zero credence in the "small numbers of cameras affected" comment. How on earth does Leica know this? If they know the cause with any certainty, then they could (1) tell us how to avoid corrosion, or (2) proactively recall tat small number likely to be affected. That statement provides false hope.

I also tend to believe that more than a small number of cameras were impacted.  I sent in an M9 for sensor replacement about a month ago due to the corrosion issue.  Today, when checking the status of the repair, I was told that Leica was estimating 24 weeks for each sensor replacement due to the backlog of cameras requiring the replacement.  It also seems that the backlog is worse since Leica's announcement that it would begin charging for sensor replacements in August.

• Like 2

I place zero credence in the "small numbers of cameras affected" comment. How on earth does Leica know this? If they know the cause with any certainty, then they could (1) tell us how to avoid corrosion, or (2) proactively recall tat small number likely to be affected. That statement provides false hope.

My M9-P had the original sensor replaced due to corrosion. The new sensor was replaced later due to corrosion. I cannot believe Leica would install a sensor that it knew may corrode.. ..the company clearly could not identify which sensors were at risk, and which were not.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, the final sensor fix was to totally replace the original M9 cover glass type (as installed on all cameras prior to the discovery of the problem) with a whole different product from Schott on the upgraded sensor.

That does not sound to me like simply an intermittent manufacturing problem with the original material (Schott S8612). It sounds like they abandoned that material entirely, as being "not good enough" or problematic in and of itself, for something with inherently more moisture resistance and longevity (Schott BG55). That's a rather drastic change to make if the problem was just "a batch" of poorly-made S8612 cover plates.

I don't see any reason to trust any S8612-covered sensor at this point. Does anyone have evidence (not "an impression" or "belief") to counter that?

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/247062-ccd-sensor-new-leica-information-about-the-state-of-development/

I have ONE (a pro of Bologna, MM bought when introduced) : he told me (7/8 months ago) that his sensor was "perfect" : but, he sent the camera to Leica for "general control after heavy usage" in 2015, and doesn't know if the sensor was replaced in that occasion... made the trip to Leica through his local dealer and didn't have evidence (or simply didn't remember) the detail of performed operations...he remembered only that what he paid seemed to him "normal" for a camera that , when delivered to Customer Service, was still fine working, with nothing strange on files.

Single case, anyway... I quote it just beacause  is one of the very few people (apart LUF members... ;))  that I know personally , and is a M user...

This is a very good point.  I think it is important for us to de-register our serialized Leica products upon sale or transfer.

Agreed.

I never de-registered my old M9 as it was virtually stolen by a dealer in Sydney who went into receivership whilst holding the camera for consignment sale a few years ago (unconfirmed as to whether it was ever sold or not). Never received payment or the camera so it's still mine :-(   I've intentionally never deregistered it.

Nevertheless, for a camera that is still registered him in my name, I've not received advice from Leica regarding imminent termination of the sensor replacement programme.

Edited by MarkP

Agreed.

I never de-registered my old M9 as it was virtually stolen by a dealer in Sydney

Please try to de-register it.

Post the first several digits of the serial number. I'll check against the one I just bought. Others might do the same.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Yes, that's what I was told when I called Leica today. I was hoping to get the M9 I've been without for more than a month now back before the end of June. At this rate, even July is doubtful.

Math problem? Twenty-four weeks would make it October if they have had it for a month.

Just yesterday I sent both my M9 and early version of the MM to the Camera Clinic in Melbourne (Australia) for their inspection which will, I'm fairly certain, result in a sensor replacement for both.

I've been putting off the evil moment as, even though I knew problems had developed with both sensors, I thought I had forever with regard to the free-of-charge replacement deal with Leica.

I wait in trepidation for Camera Clinic's estimate of the time frame involved as, even though the replacements will be carried out in Melbourne, obviously the sensors must be ordered from Leica.

Edited by platypus
  • Like 1

CC will do a very expeditious replacement job for you, dependent only on availability of new sensors. Whatever, it will be a lot faster than sending to Germany.

• Like 1

Care to share what such proper documentation is? I have been unable to achieve this through Leica customer service.

I emailed a copy of my purchase invoice and provided the TAN number from the literature in the box the camera came in.

You can rest easy Dee.

A tour of Camera Clinic was organised by John (Erl) during the recent Australasian Challenge.

We were all very impressed with their experience and solid expertise.  I would have no hesitation or worries, if I was in your shoes.

regards...

• Like 1

CC will do a very expeditious replacement job for you, dependent only on availability of new sensors. Whatever, it will be a lot faster than sending to Germany.

I had hoped that might be the case, I've always found CC to be remarkably quick and good....my only thought was that there might be a bottle-neck on the German end regarding

sensor availability, this announcement of the August deadline must be causing a greatly increased demand for sensors. Thanks for your positive feedback, I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Edited by platypus

Yes, that's what I was told when I called Leica today. I was hoping to get the M9 I've been without for more than a month now back before the end of June. At this rate, even July is doubtful.

Perhaps that is the estimate for cameras being received right now due to the heavy influx. I was told just one week ago that the turnaround time had been extended and is now 12 weeks as opposed to 10. This was in response to my query about my MM which has now been at the NJ facility for 9 weeks.

Edited by fotografr

You can rest easy Dee.

A tour of Camera Clinic was organised by John (Erl) during the recent Australasian Challenge.

We were all very impressed with their experience and solid expertise.  I would have no hesitation or worries, if I was in your shoes.

regards...

Hi Dave, thank you too for your reassurance! I know how good they are at the Camera Clinic, having used them before once or twice.

It was just the weirdest feeling putting those two little cameras in a box and sending them away, I haven't felt like this since my kids grew up and left home!  

Edited by platypus
  • Like 1