Leica Ends Free Sensor Replacement for M9/Monochrom Bodies

Roberto Watson

Yep. This week is going to the Leica dealer in Porto. He's great!! we will help me to send the camera to Leica HQ!

I agree with Robert - looks like corrosion to me (and I've been lucky to have seen it twice!) Great news - you've just doubled the value of your camera body..

How's that? can i sell it for the double of the price? hehehehe

I feel a little lucky (potentially). Both my M9-P and MM (which I purchased second hand) had the corrosion issue. I eventually got around to sending them in for the sensor replacement in late February and got them back a few weeks ago.

Not sure if the sensor was replaced with a newer one, but I was think so (wishful thinking). Is there any way of knowing from the EXIF data if the sensor is the newer type ?

I have an M10 on pre-order. But in light if this reversal of approach on the CCD corroded sesnor, I may well be cancelling my pre-order.

• Like 2

You bought an M9 with sensor corrosion?

The camera is still in mint condition with no signs of sensor corrosion. But i have to send it in now that it is still free, and not wait for the sensor to corrode eventually. If i wait, i probably won't be able to afford to get the replacement.

• Like 1

And I was considering a new ME this morning.  not no more.

Can we trust Leica anymore ?

They seem to have plenty of money for new manufacturing facilities and specialty  stores,  but no money to fix the stuff they let onto the market.   

• Like 1

The camera is still in mint condition with no signs of sensor corrosion. But i have to send it in now that it is still free, and not wait for the sensor to corrode eventually. If i wait, i probably won't be able to afford to get the replacement.

As I recall, they won't replace it if it doesn't have corrosion ...

They will not do a prophylactic repair.   

As I recall, they won't replace it if it doesn't have corrosion ...

wow you are right, the wording seems to imply that only with corrosion. 

What is the best way to see if there is corrosion present? Im totally new to this.

I wish i could just enjoy the camera and hope that the corrosion does not affect my camera, but it seems that it is something that the majority of cameras go through?

I just bought my M9 on Saturday. What timing! Instead of enjoying the camera i now have to figure out how to send it in for sensor replacement immediately. 

Seems like they won't replace any sensor unless is corroded. No preventive jobs are to be done. This Leica strategy will help the used M9 (with sensor replaced) market to go up in prices. Glad the M8's never got that particular issue. 

Edited by rivi1969
  • Like 2

I just bought my M9 on Saturday. What timing! Instead of enjoying the camera i now have to figure out how to send it in for sensor replacement immediately. 

If there is no sensor corrosion Leica will not replace the sensor.  Why should  they? Only a percentage of sensors was affected and given that the number of reports has dropped dramatically to virtually zero, it is unlikely that the rest of the sensors will exhibit corrosion at all.

I feel a little lucky (potentially). Both my M9-P and MM (which I purchased second hand) had the corrosion issue. I eventually got around to sending them in for the sensor replacement in late February and got them back a few weeks ago.

Not sure if the sensor was replaced with a newer one, but I was think so (wishful thinking). Is there any way of knowing from the EXIF data if the sensor is the newer type ?

I have an M10 on pre-order. But in light if this reversal of approach on the CCD corroded sesnor, I may well be cancelling my pre-order.

It is not very likely that the M10 will exhibit sensor corrosion, so cancelling the order for this reason does not appear to be very rational.

The firmware will tell you whether the sensor was replaced by the newer type. If they were replaced last February it is certain that you have the corrosion-free sensors.

I feel really sorry for those who had their sensors replaced early on in this saga.

Those replacement sensors were not the "improved corrosion resistant" but rather "the original corrosion prone" sensors.

Once this latest news gets around the internet, you can kiss the value of your M9, MM & ME good bye.

And before the Leica apologists wade in, regardless of what they say, Leica have just cut the legs out from under owners or potential buyers of those cameras. 

• Like 5

wow you are right, the wording seems to imply that only with corrosion. 

What is the best way to see if there is corrosion present? Im totally new to this.

I wish i could just enjoy the camera and hope that the corrosion does not affect my camera, but it seems that it is something that the majority of cameras go through?

Take an image of blue sky @ f16 and post it on this forum. we will tell you whether you might have sensor corrosion.

Well, on a bitter sweet note, there seems to be corrosion right?

Will i be affected if my M9 is second hand?

Also, does anyone know what these offers from Leica for an upgrade might be? I probably can't afford it anyways, but would still like to know. lol

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Don't know what to look for - but many look like dust spots to me. I get them on my M8. The spots with the irregular halos look like they may be of concern

I would clean the sensor before sending to Leica. No need to wait 2 months for Leica to clean the sensor and tell you the camera is fine. If you don't know what you are doing - find someone you trust to clean the sensor. That is what I do

...but only in cases where the cameras have been purchased as new products within the last five years. 

Do I read correctly then that my purchased second-hand MM will not be covered after 16th August?

That's what I originally thought, but on re-reading I'm not convinced. They seem to be saying they will only cover this for 5 years from the day the camera was originally purchased (ie as new). They don't seem to specify that the current owner needs to be the original owner.