MFG and USB remote cable

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All

I have a question for the brains trust on this site I have the mfg an was wondering if I can use an olympus remote cable via the usb port on the grip to fire the shutter I am not sure if it could damage the circuitry so am reluctant to try without having some expert advice. Has anyone used such a set up generic or otherwise

Manny thanks Keith

Just an update on closer inspection the Leica mini USB port is different to the one on the Olympus remote cable plug hence they are non compatible regardless of whether it would work so it is back to plan b and use a cable release.

Cheers Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guys

I sent an email with the question to Leica here in Oz and one of their reps called me and we had a long discussion about the m and other cameras and the upshot is he did not know but suggested it probably would not as the usb port is designed for data transfer however he did remind me of a very useful feature of the m which I had forgotten about the bulb dialogue accessed by pressing the front focus button dependant on the iso all the available shutter speed are displayed and selectable.This combined with the t function give me all I want at this stage 12 sec delay and timed exspoure without having to touch the camera once the shutter has been pressed.

Thank all for you imputs and to the Texan suggesting a sharp stick I actually use one to open and close the shutter of my 6*12 pinhole with a filter holder strapped to it with rubber bands it just fits behind the filter holder so I use it to poke the shutter open and close so your comments are not that far off the mark but wrong camera.

cheers Keith

The USB port on the M 240 multifunction handgrip is also designed for electronic triggering but only from a pc. You could easily trace the protocol and program a USB controller to perform the same operations but this is reverse engineering and would break the terms of your licence agreement with Leica.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys

I sent an email with the question to Leica here in Oz and one of their reps called me and we had a long discussion about the m and other cameras and the upshot is he did not know but suggested it probably would not as the usb port is designed for data transfer however he did remind me of a very useful feature of the m which I had forgotten about the bulb dialogue accessed by pressing the front focus button dependant on the iso all the available shutter speed are displayed and selectable.This combined with the t function give me all I want at this stage 12 sec delay and timed exspoure without having to touch the camera once the shutter has been pressed.

cheers Keith

I wasnt aware the "bulb" function on the front focus button was a thing - thank you, it will be very handy in the future !