The East Lancs Railway (Series)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My wife went with her sister to see a show in Liverpool so I thought my son would like to see the steam trains in Bury. We went to the transport museum then went across the road to the station and watched an old steam train arrive and get ready to set off. Followed by a nice lunch and a pint (for me!) at the Trackside pub. If anyone asked it was definitely a day out for my son not just for me! 

34618666936_408509c8f3_c.jpg

Guard by Robert Michael Poole, on Flickr

East Lancs Railway. Bury, UK.
M9 50mm Summicron v5

• Like 11

Thank you. Unfortunately I'm too young to remember steam trains but I think that is why they fascinate me!

Terrific work Robert. My grandad was a railwayman in the days of steam and manned an ack ack gun too in WWII in the London docks. God knows when he slept. Your pictures remind me of him and his generation.

Regarding their hats - I well remember the kerfuffle in the 1960s when British Rail tried to get his generation to wear more modern 'gendarme' style headgear. They wouldnt because they claimed it made them look like Afrika Korps soldiers. it didn't but the damage was done and the hats were quietly withdrawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Terrific work Robert. My grandad was a railwayman in the days of steam and manned an ack ack gun too in WWII in the London docks. God knows when he slept. Your pictures remind me of him and his generation.

Regarding their hats - I well remember the kerfuffle in the 1960s when British Rail tried to get his generation to wear more modern 'gendarme' style headgear. They wouldnt because they claimed it made them look like Afrika Korps soldiers. it didn't but the damage was done and the hats were quietly withdrawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for looking and your comments. I glad I managed to bring back some memories. They say the past is a different country and that is definitely the case. I know it is probably rose tinted glasses and nostalgia but when did travel lose it's glamour r? The guards in their almost military uniforms; the silver service dining cars. What do we have now? A squashed sandwich and sitting on the floor. Progress eh? 

I have a very soft spot for trains particularly steam hauled ones, your photographs have an appealing quality that go beyond records of a nice day, they reflect the nostalgia of a time lost.

Thanks

Charles

I think a lot of us do, my wife rolls her eyes and says it must be a man thing :) 

Thank you for your compliment, nostalgia for a lost time is exactly what I was going for. I tried to crop to remove any anachronisms when taking the pictures. I will upload a couple more tonight hopefully. 

bet wishes

Robert

• Like 1

I'm glad you posted this photograph Robert, it reaches off the screen with its dynamic tones, sharpness and composition. (As do your earlier photographs.) I'm sure the driver would appreciate a copy.

Looking forward to more!

Charles

Thanks again Charles, I'm getting used to my Summicron now and really pleased with the results. I will share the pictures with the East Lancs Railway Company, but yes it would be nice to get a copy to the driver. I have a few more left but I think I need a return visit at some point! I should point out that all these pictures were taken with a 17 month old under one arm!!

Rob

Great pictures Robert - love Bury and often park up at Heywood and get the  steam train to Bury then sit having a pint and lunch on the platform outside "The Trackside"!

Thanks again Paul, we went on the Santa Express at Christmas which was fun but very busy. I think a more leisurely visit would be nice. Maybe dining on-board. I was very impressed by the Trackside. Great selection of beer, reasonable prices and the food was pretty good too, maybe I'll bump into you there one day and I can buy you a pin.

Excellent work with, somehow,  a 1950ies feel.

I particularly like that you did not fall into the trap of making product shots of the engines, but documeented the people instead.

• Like 2