Sensor has gone black?

geetee1972

Well oddly enough, while the camera refused to work at all yesterday, today it seems to be fine. Given that it will take six weeks to turnaround a review at HQ, I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm not sure that it will take six weeks to be advised if anything needs to be done if you send it directly to Wetzlar. I sent in a Summilux 50 asph last week (I dropped it) and the report and estimate were in within two days. Call Leica CS, ask for Andrea Frankl and explain your predicament.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that it will take six weeks to be advised if anything needs to be done if you send it directly to Wetzlar. I sent in a Summilux 50 asph last week (I dropped it) and the report and estimate were in within two days. Call Leica CS, ask for Andrea Frankl and explain your predicament.

Thankyou Jaap - will do.

.... bear in mind this is an ELECTRONIC device.

They tend to either work or they don't ....... and in the unlikely event of an intermittent fault it suggests poor/loose connectors.

Water has temporarily shorted some of the circuitry. In the old days you would have squirted in WD40 and crossed your fingers. 

Would you send back your TV under the same circumstances ?  

Nothing to be lost by a W&S policy. 

Edited by thighslapper

The temporary short is not the problem; it is the subsequent progressive electrolytic corrosion. These images are from an M8 that suffered internal condensation, not even water ingress from the outside. The camera was a total loss.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Why don't you put it in a dry and clean place (body open) and for the next 2 weeks you take it once every day and try to shoot a few pics.

If you see a trend (getting better or getting worse) you know what you have to do.  (If it's getting better I would not send it in).

If there is no trend, then the problem is erratic and you need to send it in to get it checked anyway.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why don't you put it in a dry and clean place (body open) and for the next 2 weeks you take it once every day and try to shoot a few pics.

If you see a trend (getting better or getting worse) you know what you have to do. (If it's getting better I would not send it in).

If there is no trend, then the problem is erratic and you need to send it in to get it checked anyway.

an airing cupboard with an open bag of rice as desiccant would do quite nicely

So why do they not publicise this more effectively?

Just tried the camera again and the sensor is now just permanently black. Everything else works, just no read out. I'm quite literally feeling sick to my stomach. What is the worst case scenario - is it possible that I get caught in a ten minute shower with a camera that I've previously been told is weathe sealed (points here on M lenses not withstanding) and I end up being £5k out of pocket?

I think when Leica makes publicity about SL being weather sealed,it it true to some extent when using SL lenses. Adaptation of other (non SL) lenses is merely  a bonus.

Well oddly enough, while the camera refused to work at all yesterday, today it seems to be fine. Given that it will take six weeks to turnaround a review at HQ, I'm not sure what to do now.

Did you make it work hard just a day before? It gets tired and needs a full days rest before taking more commands.

Get it treated in Accidents and Emergency section at Leica hospital in Wetzlar.

I hope everything goes smooth for you.

• 1 month later...

The basic moisture issues of cameras apply:  Immediately removed the battery, and get it into a very warm place (if you have an oven with the "proof" temperature setting, get it in there with a few massive bags of silica gel.  Leave the body cap off.

Getting power removed quickly is the key.  More damage is done because things can get shorted.

Prior to the days of digital cameras, manufacturers were just catching onto the business of conformal coatings on circuit board.  Many did not.  One can only expect that Leica is ahead on that score.  For example, Nikon manufactured a Titanium F3 body for many years.  Besides the exterior pieces of titanium, they finally got around to conformally coating their circuit cards within the body.  It makes all the difference.  Unfortunately, in many regions of the world, humidity levels are phenomenally high and any weak barriers will fail--sooner than later.  

Another thing that all of us with modern electronic camera should be aware of is "tin whiskers."  Google it.

Dan

Edited by Edgy01

I've just got that horrible sick feeling in my stomach reading that post [emoji30]

The sensor is working very intermittently. It works when you turn it on and I've even been able to take a picture with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its best in this scenario to unload the battery, remove the lens and put the cover back on and send it to leica service immediately to minimise further damage.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

It was an M mount lens with a Leica adapter, which I would suppose has a gasket to seal it. As I said, it seems to be working fine now.

From the reviews I have read, weather sealing is only applicable with SL lenses. Not so with the M mount lenses.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

The more you keep playing with it, turning it off/on will just cause more problems.

In my experience, take it to Leica (Mayfair is nearest to me) they are excellent to deal with and turn around time is not so bad, do it today before you make it worse.. Have a look at the photo Jaap posted of his M8.

I was given a loaner when my M240 when wonky, they are good people, do it today.