Bottom clipping at 1/4000. Anyone else?

You have a shutter problem. The camera has to go to Leica for repair.

To be specific, the vertical travel shutter is a slit at speeds over 1/180 second (the second curtain starts down before the first reaches the bottom---that's why flash sync tops out at 1/180). The slit is closing before the sensor is fully exposed. This is a defect, and the camera needs to go in for repair.

Edited by xrogers
  • Like 1

You have a shutter problem. The camera has to go to Leica for repair.

To be specific, the vertical travel shutter is a slit at speeds over 1/180 second (the second curtain starts down before the first reaches the bottom---that's why flash sync tops out at 1/180). The slit is closing before the sensor is fully exposed. This is a defect, and the camera needs to go in for repair.

Any Idea how much this type of problem costs to fix? 

In the image on the screen the 'clipping' isn't uniform across the lower edge - on the right there's data to the proper bottom edge. 

In the pic of the tree, its also not uniform, is tilted slightly.  Wouldn't shutter bounce be exactly straight considering the track its in?

Strap, hand, wrong shade or other obstruction would be my guess

Does it always happen @ 4000 no matter the conditions?  Other lenses?

And why are you shooting @1600ISO / 1/4000?   Excessive ISO & shutter speeds for a stable garage, no?

I'd do tests on a tripod and see what happens before sending it in - with no shade or anything else near the front of the lens.

Good luck!

Maybe not.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the image on the screen the 'clipping' isn't uniform across the lower edge - on the right there's data to the proper bottom edge. 

In the pic of the tree, its also not uniform, is tilted slightly.  Wouldn't shutter bounce be exactly straight considering the track its in?

Strap, hand, wrong shade or other obstruction would be my guess

Does it always happen @ 4000 no matter the conditions?  Other lenses?

And why are you shooting @1600ISO / 1/4000?   Excessive ISO & shutter speeds for a stable garage, no?

I'd do tests on a tripod and see what happens before sending it in - with no shade or anything else near the front of the lens.

Good luck!

This happens at 3000 - 4000 shutter speed at any ISO and on any lens.   Also tried it without a lens and the same thing. 

• 2 months later...

Since recently I have exact the same problem. Only at 1/4000 and with every type of tens I use. As I like to shoot the Leica lenses fully opened I use 1/4000 rather often. I will have to let it serviced in the repair centre in the Netherlands.