What is the latest on desktop BxW Printers...need suggestion.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just donated my Epson 4000 to a local photo school and looking for smaller desktop sized printer to print Black and White prints up to 11x14 (but would not turn my nose up at the occasional

chance to print 16x20). I prefer matte papers, NEVER gloss. I may set the printer up as Black and White only, but do not want to give up on occasional Color printing.

So what is the latest on a good Black and White inkjet? Looking to spend $800-$1800. 

I always found the 4000 (first generation of the Epson line of pro-roll printers) frustrating with frequent head clogs. I decided

to give it to someone who would print more often to keep things clear.

I am glad to buy Epson or Canon.

I will be printing both new images from my soon to be newly acquired Leica M digital plus 35 years of black and white negatives

from my archives. 

Thank you.

Harley Soltes

Edited by harleybob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

100% reccomend the Epson P800.It is based upon the 3800 / 3880 printers with a few bells and whistles and new ink formulas,especially the blacks. I have no knowledge of the Fiery express RIP software but if you do decide to go with the Epson have a look at Image Print 10 . The P800 / IP 10 combo is an incredible performer.

<p>

Is the "designer edition" worth the extra $200? It includes the

• EFI Fiery eXpress RIP Software

Don't bother. Consider saving for IP10, as Brian mentions... it will cost as much as the printer, but can offer many benefits discussed elsewhere.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

No one mentioned the Epson P600. It is large enough for what I need (11x14 prints) 

Any reason not to got that way?

Again, this is for 75-80% printing BxW on Matte papers.

The P600 has $200 rebate (combining the two current Epson rebates). For $600 that would be a great printer to start with.

Also, in US the P600 can use non-OEM ink and I believe the P800 cannot.

I use the P600. I've been using it since 2015 for all my printing.

It handles up to 13" wide paper and cut sheet up to 13x19", with roll paper option. Excellent color, excellent B&W. I use matte surface, fine art papers almost exclusively ... there are profiles available for all of them that I've tried. The ink set is excellent and large enough capacity to last quite a while in use. Wired and WiFi connection, also supports AirPrint for iOS devices. The paper handling is a big step up from previous generation 13" wide Epson printers. The SureColor inkset is a good step up from the 4000's K3 inkset in terms of gamut and Dmax too.

Worth every penny.

• Like 2

No one mentioned the Epson P600. It is large enough for what I need (11x14 prints)

Any reason not to got that way?

Again, this is for 75-80% printing BxW on Matte papers.

The P600 has $200 rebate (combining the two current Epson rebates). For $600 that would be a great printer to start with.

Also, in US the P600 can use non-OEM ink and I believe the P800 cannot.

When using Epson inks, I quickly make up any cost difference on the P800 by its 80 ml cartridges compared to the 25.9ml P600 inks ( and the P800 rebates are greater). And given that the machine footprint is almost identical, I value the flexibility for 17 vs 13 inch prints. The roll paper attachment is also more robust on the P800.

Both good machines.

Jeff

• Like 2

When using Epson inks, I quickly make up any cost difference on the P800 by its 80 ml cartridges compared to the 25.9ml P600 inks ( and the P800 rebates are greater). And given that the machine footprint is almost identical, I value the flexibility for 17 vs 13 inch prints. The roll paper attachment is also more robust on the P800.

Both good machines.

Jeff

Agree 100%. When I decided to buy the P800 it was because of the cost saving on ink and the poor quality of the roll feed mechanism on my existing 2880. The fact that I could print A2 was a minor consideration. I have found that I use the ability to print A2 fairly often.

The printer gives me the end result I want fron my hobby and as with IP 10 the cost is relatively small in relation to the money I have spent on cameras ,lenses etc.

Both good machines.

Jeff

The  total cost the New P800 is actually less after rebates than the P600 t after rebates because of the extra ink included in the new packaging. That is assuming the P800 ships with 80ml tanks...Does it? or are they smaller "starter" tanks like is often done with new laser printers. I think the P800 is shipped with 

about $300 more ink than the P600. That assumes both printers use about the same ink per square inch of paper. All this points to the P800 being the printer to get even if you will not utilize the fill paper width difference.

The  total cost the New P800 is actually less after rebates than the P600 t after rebates because of the extra ink included in the new packaging. That is assuming the P800 ships with 80ml tanks...Does it? or are they smaller "starter" tanks like is often done with new laser printers. I think the P800 is shipped with 

about $300 more ink than the P600. That assumes both printers use about the same ink per square inch of paper. All this points to the P800 being the printer to get even if you will not utilize the fill paper width difference.

In the UK the printer is shipped with tanks holding a little over 60ml of ink.

That figure could differ for differant markets.

Ordered P800 and it has already arrived...will let you know how I like it. First of all it is so much smaller and lighter than my old Stylus Pro 4000, I like it already.

The 4000 had 220ml tanks but I was not printing often enough to keep heads unclogged. Its a complaint of many who had the 4000. 

I had a SC P800 for just over the duration of the guarantee. A front-loaded sheet of paper twisted on its way in. After that I printed six front-loaded sheets but there were gear teeth marks in one corner. The seventh sheet wouldn't load at all. A friend drove me and the printer to the local repair shop, 250km. A few days later they send me the invoice - 350€. No fault found. I await its return.

The prints I made before it broke are very good. If it breaks again I will try giving it a good shake before taking it to be repaired.

I had a SC P800 for just over the duration of the guarantee. A front-loaded sheet of paper twisted on its way in. After that I printed six front-loaded sheets but there were gear teeth marks in one corner. The seventh sheet wouldn't load at all. A friend drove me and the printer to the local repair shop, 250km. A few days later they send me the invoice - 350€. No fault found. I await its return.

The prints I made before it broke are very good. If it breaks again I will try giving it a good shake before taking it to be repaired.

When I first used my P800 I could not at first get the hang of front loading paper. If the paper is not perfectly flat " even a very small amount of curl " it can be difficult to load. I just practiced a few times loading the paper and the ejecting it without printing and loading it again.I have not had any loading problems with Hahnemulle paper but the paper sold via Calumet called "Brilliant" always seams to have a very slight curl "upwards" and as such can be awkward to load. It could be the A2 box of paper was a "one off" .

The P800 front load is a blessing compared to the 3800 front load, which I used most often. Both require initial flattening and careful load, but if curl remained, the 3800 needed oversight during paper exit to ensure the paper didn't curl up into the machine. The P800 prevents this by requiring the repositioning of the load mechanism before printing. Apart from print quality, this is my favorite mechanical improvement (along with the front load 'lip' that prevents skewing).

Paper curl issues go back to darkroom days. I prefer the minor inconvenience associated with modern inkjet printing. That said, there's still room to improve feed mechanisms, a common issue with Epson printers (clogs being another, but those have been largely addressed).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S