Cheap but effective fisheye options for an MP240 with EVF?

w44neg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry, yet another "which lens is cheapest but most effective" question!

If you've read my telephoto thread you'll know I have a trip planned where I'll be traveling to the California and Arizona area of the USA. I hadn't thought about a fisheye but yesterday I had a play with one. Not sure I'm completely "there" with getting to grips to make it super effective at this point, but it could make a great addition to my kit for 1 in 1000 images.

Obviously I'll need to adapt it to the M, so the requirements would be...

- Cheap but hopefully still sharp

- Decent colour rendition

- Around 8mm or so

Is the Elmarit R the best option or is there something cheaper? Sorry if this has been asked before but the emphasis here is on cost as it will be used very little I would expect :-)

My camera is an MP Safari and I use the EVF with lenses like this so no issues with framing.

Edited by w44neg

Two types mainly of fisheye lenses:

- round with black all the rest of frame , 180° or even 220° wide in all direction 6mm or 7.5mm/8mm

- so called fullframe with 180° only in diagonal, that's 16mm Fisheye-Elmarit-R and more common SLR lenses

So if you decide for "round type", Leica R 16mm is not that type.

I use 2 of those with my M + adapter : Nikkor AI 16mm fisheye and 17mm SMC Fish-Eye-Takumar.

See my post here #22: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253730-your-ultra-wide-angle-uwa-pictures-10mm-to-21mm/page-2

For round type I use since more than 30 years an cheap adapter "x0.15 180°" Soligor/Kenko/Admiral :yes I have some of them.

Funny but IQ only soso, and very hard to use, that's why now there is out there newly released 8mm.

Maybe you can try them for cheap ( Samyang for example) with X to M adapter.

Edited by a.noctilux

Only Leica fisheye available is the Elmarit-R 16/2.8 (# 11222) AFAIK. See attached specs. Can be had for USD 700 or 800 on e**y. I seem to recall that it was designed by Minolta but i have no experience with it at all.

LeicaR_1628_specs_roc.pdf

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Only Leica fisheye available is the Elmarit-R 16/2.8 (# 11222) AFAIK. See attached specs. Can be had for USD 700 or 800 on e**y. I seem to recall that it was designed by Minolta but i have no experience with it at all.

attachicon.gifLeicaR_1628_specs_roc.pdf

attachicon.gifLeicaR_1628_web.jpg

Jaap has one, iirc... remember a pic of his dog into a car...

I seem to remember that there is also a Russian fisheye... I never cosidered to have such a lens... so I tend to think that in the (uneven) case I'd engagé in finding one, would look for a dirty cheap solution... B)

Do you mean this one?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

For a full frame fisheye the 12mm Samyang is hard to beat in both price and IQ.

Gordon

The 12mm Samyang is not really a fisheye, a lens that makes a ~round image: it is simply very wide with little correction.

The CV 10mm is a true wide angle, more expensive than the Samyang, but far, far better.

Edited by pico

Is the Elmarit R the best option or is there something cheaper? Sorry if this has been asked before but the emphasis here is on cost as it will be used very little I would expect :-)

I have been looking for years for the same, a quality, cost effective fisheye solution.  Keep in mind I'm largely shooting Leica and love the systems, but sometimes another system and medium is just better and less costly.  This is why I chose a Nikon F3HP plus 16mm f/2.8 AIS full frame fisheye.  The combo is wonderful with Ektar or Cinestill.

Typical cost of used F3HP plus fisheye in excellent condition is around $700; less if you go FE2 or FM2.

The 12mm Samyang is not really a fisheye, a lens that makes a ~round image: it is simply very wide with little correction.

The CV 10mm is a true wide angle, more expensive than the Samyang, but far, far better.

So you're saying that unless a lens makes a 360 degree circular image that it's not a fisheye? 

You're saying that the Nikkor 16mm, the older Canon 15mm, Sony 15mm, Samyang 7.5mm for m43, etc aren't fisheye lenses?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1089935-REG/rokinon_12m_n_12mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw3drIBRCOwfC-_qqyjQ8SJADvoWQpfg4FrwTAwUSz5gV7TkFankw_b5Hkfvt3HCIbg-6zhBoCfhfw_wcB

Gordon

As mentioned above, do consider the Nikkor Fisheyes.

There were three 16mm models; two later ƒ/2.8 versions (AI and AF-D) and the much sought-after, older ƒ/3.5.

The 8/2.8 AI/AIS will deliver the round image but it's large and heavy. 

Edited by james.liam

So you're saying that unless a lens makes a 360 degree circular image that it's not a fisheye?  [...]

Fisheye as I understand the description comes from its long history. In my experience, fisheye images have been non-rectilinear, round, showing profound curvature (sometimes with corners mechanically blocked), but never 360° (and not always 180° diagonally). If advertising or habits change the definition, then we might want to be clear as to what we are really talking about.

Edited by pico