Monopods; any recommendations?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like shooting city scenes at night but don't always want to carry a tripod around with me.

I was thinking of getting a monopod, possibly one with the 3 small feet on the bottom.

Do you have any recommendations or experiences you could share?

Thanks

Ernst

That's really a tripod with a very long neck. Not very stable and very top heavy.

For a good monopod, it needs to be very sturdy. Something that you can use as a walking stick. I have a Gitzo and use it for both macro and very long lenses. I use it as a third leg, putting some weight on it for stability.

I use a Bogen aluminum 3-section monopod I've had for 20-25 years (the model number has worn off) - it's not pretty, but it's held up well. I use it as Soden said, as a third leg, and I also have used it braced against low walls with a long lens with good effect.

I also have a Benro A0180T "flat" tripod that's pretty compact; while it is a light aluminum, I used it with a center sandbag on a windy night on a beach in Iceland to get some aurora photos.

A table-top tripod with ball head is compact and easy to carry. You can also use it on vertical surfaces, such as a wall, with probably more stability than a monopod with feet.

Also, a bean bag, such as the POD is easy to carry. I have a POD, but never used it. A friend has used it with multi-second exposures without a problem.

• Like 1

In my modest experience monopods are helpful with cameras used at ordinary, usually daylight exposures to offer just a little more stability. They are useful with heavy cameras and long lenses, but not under any circumstances does a monopod even approach the effectiveness of a tripod.

I have an expensive monopod I use as a walking stick. That's about all it is good for.

• Like 3

When I think I'm going to have the need (night) I take a travel carbon fiber tripod with minimal head.  Missed too many shots to camera blur.  Very happy to have no noise full DR long exposures @ 200 ISO.  I'm talking 32 second exposures - gorgeous.  Trip the shutter with 2 sec. self timer, speed set to auto.

240 rules the night!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For night time photography in cities I have used a lamppost as an anchor to take shots of over 1 second. Railings are useful too.

As I live in the country there are no street lights (thank heavens) and a monopod is OK for shots of under 1 second. Anything longer needs a stable tripod.

I like shooting city scenes at night but don't always want to carry a tripod around with me.

I was thinking of getting a monopod, possibly one with the 3 small feet on the bottom.

Do you have any recommendations or experiences you could share?

Thanks

Ernst

Three feet at the end of a monopod is a very poorly designed tripod

I have had wonderful results with a couple of monopods over the years ... when I travel I separate the head from the body and both are packed in my suitcase that is in 

checked luggage.

I prefer an aluminum monopod ... carbon fiber does not make a great defensive weapon ... cracks easily ... aluminum may dent but anyone who approaches you holding

a 4 foot metal rod would be a bit crazed to engage in anything other than pleasant discourse.

It works for moderately slow shutter speeds but at night a small tripod may be preferable.

Bob

Here are my favorite CF monopods ...

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Tripods-Monopods/MonopodsandMounts

And I have used these heads for 12 years ...

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Heads/Monopod-Heads

A good sturdy aluminum monopod

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376386-REG/Slik_618_720_The_Pro_Pod_4_Section.html

Lots of choices few of them bad ....

Bob

Thanks for all of your feedback-very helpful.

Just to qualify a bit further, I mostly use my 21/2.8 Elmarit and I can get usable shots handheld down to 1/15 sec if I use railings or lamp posts as suggested by Peter.

However, now and again I won't be able to take a shot without longer exposure and it's at those times something light and easily carried would be useful. I have a full sized tripod but most times I wouldn't want to lug it around with me.

I can still see the benefit of the monopod models with the 3 small feet, as the pole is ball jointed at the feet and you could secure one of the feet by locating it firmly with your foot, then moving the pole to suit. http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/vanguard/veo-am-264tr-aluminium-tri-feet-monopod-99460/show.html

The self defence aspects of a monopod hadn't occurred to me but could be a useful extra benefit!

Ernst

Ernst, you seem set on a monopod, so go for it. You will make it work. However, for very little extra weight do also consider a table tripod which can work well with street furniture or your chest.

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of your feedback-very helpful.

Just to qualify a bit further, I mostly use my 21/2.8 Elmarit and I can get usable shots handheld down to 1/15 sec if I use railings or lamp posts as suggested by Peter.

However, now and again I won't be able to take a shot without longer exposure and it's at those times something light and easily carried would be useful. I have a full sized tripod but most times I wouldn't want to lug it around with me.

I can still see the benefit of the monopod models with the 3 small feet, as the pole is ball jointed at the feet and you could secure one of the feet by locating it firmly with your foot, then moving the pole to suit. http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/vanguard/veo-am-264tr-aluminium-tri-feet-monopod-99460/show.html

The self defence aspects of a monopod hadn't occurred to me but could be a useful extra benefit!

Ernst

What's the difference between a monopod with little tripod feet connected to the pole by a ball joint, and a monopod with a simple rubber foot on the ground? A bit puzzled by this.

A monopod helps to remove vibrations caused by your breathing or shaky hands, especially if you've been walking hard, but I wouldn't trust it to get me sharp shots beyond my normal (unpuffed) hand-holding range.

You don't say why you particularly want a monopod rather than a lightweight tripod (unless you want it as a walking pole). There's the cheapish Sirui T-025 which packs small and light and would hold an M. Not for long exposures in winds, but more than adequate for what you're looking for.

I prefer an aluminum monopod ... carbon fiber does not make a great defensive weapon ... cracks easily ... aluminum may dent but anyone who approaches you holding

a 4 foot metal rod would be a bit crazed to engage in anything other than pleasant discourse.

If you think you are going to use a monopod as a weapon you'd better be certain you know what you are doing (as opposed to having watched a few films) because any assailant worthy of the name will relieve you of it quite quickly.

One small point is that the weight difference between a CF and an Al monopod, once you have factored in the additional weight of the head, is not that much. I decided that CF was not really worth the extra money for this relatively modest weight saving.

Having said all that, these days I use my Gitzo monopod very little because I have a very nice little Benro travel tripod with a smallish ball head (as well as my much larger Manfrotto CF with geared head) and the former is overall much more satisfactory when size and weight are considerations.

I have a ProMaster aluminium monopod I use. It's lightweight, fits in a carry on, sturdy enough and cheap enough that if it vanished from my luggage I wouldn't be too upset. I use it in crowded areas where tripods either get in the way or are banned. I also have a Ranger travel tripod with a leg that removes and becomes a monopod. I have this for all the reasons above, cheap, fairly sturdy and handy if I get somewhere and find I need a monopod instead of a tripod. If I'm on a road trip though they both stay home and I lug the Manfrotto with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A table-top tripod with ball head is compact and easy to carry. You can also use it on vertical surfaces, such as a wall, with probably more stability than a monopod with feet.

Also, a bean bag, such as the POD is easy to carry. I have a POD, but never used it. A friend has used it with multi-second exposures without a problem.

Hello Ernst,

And to add to the above:

Better a small, strong table tripod with soft, non-marking (For against wall, doorways, etc.) slippers on its feet. With a large ball head & a cable release.

Against my chest this gives me +2 stops of added hand held stability. Against a wall, or a tree it gives endless stability.

A cable release also adds hand held stability & adds to inside of a doorway, etc stability also.

A folded up table tripod & a separated large ball head removed do not take that much carrying space.

A 25cm cable release takes almost none.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

In my modest experience monopods are helpful with cameras used at ordinary, usually daylight exposures to offer just a little more stability. They are useful with heavy cameras and long lenses, but not under any circumstances does a monopod even approach the effectiveness of a tripod.

I have an expensive monopod I use as a walking stick. That's about all it is good for.

I second that. The only time I use monopod is when you have a heavy camera+lens setup and you want to hold it for long time (as in shooting sports) and don't have Popeye biceps.

When light is low then you need a proper tripod (weight and sturdiness depending on camera setup and technique).

• Like 1

I prefer a monopod which can conceal a long metal blade that can be pulled out for defense. So far I haven't found anyone selling one. Maybe I should patent the idea and start dreaming of getting rich. :D