SL raws like JPG preview?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks pretty good! :) the thumb has a slightly bit more orange in the red I'd say - but I like it all the same :)

Also the hair and skin are a good match.

Whilst mine are a bit warmer in my processed version

Would you like to share you settings as a preset?

Yes, I agree with the orange vs red as you mentioned, but I did not have more time to work on it so I stopped there. I have actually learned a lot playing with this, it seems my Picassa was not setup to do color management etc. Also I learned that Lightroom uses Prophoto RGB in the develop module for previews, but in all other places it uses Adobe RGB but then, of course, we export in sRGB, so you can get differences between previews in Library/Develop and the exported file.

Now with respect to my settings, I kept them as simple as possible so I can share them. So here they are:

Everything at default except :

Tone curve at Strong Contrast

Now in the Color pane:

Hue   Red at +39

Saturation:  Red +3, Orange -31, Yellow -54

Luminance : Red -37, Orange -5, Yellow -37

and the last thing

Profile set at Embedded (I thought I will start from the Leica profile)

That's all, but I am not sure it will work in all situations/color light and isos but it can be a starting point.

Let me know if it works.

Edit : And WB of course set at "As shot"

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 1

Nice! My logic was that if we target the Leica jpeg, it makes sense to start with the Leica embedded profile so that to keep any other changes minimal around it.

I am sure you will improve this profile over time, so when you do please let us know of any changes you make that make it more robust or pleasing in the different light conditions/isos etc.

• Like 1

BTW: If what you want is what the preview JPEG produces, just turn on full resolution JPEGs and capture JPEG+raw. I do that quite frequently with the SL and find that for about 60% of the time, the in-camera JPEGs are so good I don't need to do any processing at all, I just size them and ship them. 

Why waste time with raw processing if what the camera produces with its own image rendering system is what you want? 

BTW: If what you want is what the preview JPEG produces, just turn on full resolution JPEGs and capture JPEG+raw. I do that quite frequently with the SL and find that for about 60% of the time, the in-camera JPEGs are so good I don't need to do any processing at all, I just size them and ship them. 

Why waste time with raw processing if what the camera produces with its own image rendering system is what you want? 

Because

I like having flexibility of RAW

RAW+JPG slow the camera down for bursts

From this thread It didn't take long to be inspired to gain a couple of presets which give me the look i'm after..

Bit of time investment, now I don't need to capture both JPG and RAW.... I see that as a positive

AND besides.. the thread was in response to photos I had ALREADY taken in RAW only... I wanted to sort that out.

and RAW Processing is not a waste of time if I batch a preset across the lot.. it takes seconds

Edited by dancook

It was an aside, Dan. I know what you were trying to cope with.

I've done measurements many times. I cannot measure the difference in performance between raw only and JPEG+raw performance unless I'm shooting continuous 11fps bursts and filling the buffer each time. I don't know how often you do that, but I think I've used continuous burst mode twice since I bought the camera, myself, other than for the few times I did testing with it.

I usually have my camera set to DNG only too, but mostly because I am more likely to process DNGs to monochrome and I don't feel the SL's monochrome capture in JPEGs is as good as I can get out of it myself. Also, that way it's the same workflow as I use with my M-D (which only captures DNG files...).

However, when I travel, I almost always set the camera to JPEG+raw and take a little more care to set up the JPEG parameters as I want so that I can post while on the road quickly without needing to process through a raw converter with the iPad.

There's no reason I can think of not to use all the facilities that the camera offers when apropros. The SL has an excellent JPEG engine so unlike with some other cameras there's no real reason to avoid using its JPEG output when it's convenient to. Not every photograph I make requires the most elaborate processing attention and expanded range of capabilities of raw files... :D