SL raws like JPG preview?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm processing some images, and you know the JPG preview you get before it renders the RAW, well that has such a rich red - and I want it back!

Are there any LR presets or options where I can get back to the processing of that preview?

- actually it's more than just the reds, I often really like the preview jpg rendition.

Edited by dancook

RAW files have a higher dynamic range than the JPEGS, the JPEGS have more contrast and saturation. If you process your SL RAWs in Lightroom, you could use the colour mixer to get that red. And use the contrast and saturation slider to get the bite the JPEG preview has. 

RAW files have a higher dynamic range than the JPEGS, the JPEGS have more contrast and saturation. If you process your SL RAWs in Lightroom, you could use the colour mixer to get that red. And use the contrast and saturation slider to get the bite the JPEG preview has. 

Yes, that was the manual process i set upon - and ended up with this - it's not exactly the same, but I preferred it in the end.

34609524385_af1854f3fe_b.jpgNew Version by dancook1982, on Flickr

This is one thing that Fuji has that I miss on my Leica M9. You can import a RAW file then apply a film simulation based on the ones used in camera and provided by Fuji. It of course doesn't match exactly the JPEG but it's a good start. I'd love to be able to import the RAW which matched the JPEG but had the ability to be altered like a RAW. If that makes sense? Beautiful picture by the way.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have you tried telling lightroom to treat the RAW and JPG as separate files, that way it will upload them both and you could switch between one and the other to try and match it.

i did that, but i extracted the embedded thumb from the raw to get something to match

i shoot raw only.

• Like 1

Ah I see. Is there a reason to shoot just RAW? Or just to save space? I don't use the SL so curious. I very rarely even look at the JPG but shoot both.

I'm pretty sure it's easier on the buffer to just shoot RAW than RAW+Jpg, so I shoot RAW only for speed.

Also at the end of a wedding it saves time when copying folders.

• Like 1

There is an option in Photoshop to match colours between two photos: Make a google (or whatever) search on "Photoshop Match Colour". I have not used the "Match Colour" option myself, but I would imagine that you can "learn" from how Photoshop alters the colours in your raw based on your (preferred) jpg.

• Like 2

There is an option in Photoshop to match colours between two photos: Make a google (or whatever) search on "Photoshop Match Colour". I have not used the "Match Colour" option myself, but I would imagine that you can "learn" from how Photoshop alters the colours in your raw based on your (preferred) jpg.

Any idea if there is similar in Lightroom? Would be very useful

I'm processing some images, and you know the JPG preview you get before it renders the RAW, well that has such a rich red - and I want it back!

Are there any LR presets or options where I can get back to the processing of that preview?

- actually it's more than just the reds, I often really like the preview jpg rendition.

Build your own Lightroom preset/defaults:

• Shoot a photo of a color chart with a few other things (like some skin tones, reds, greens) using JPEG+raw. 
  • Adjust the RAW until it matches.
  • Save those settings as your Lightroom as a preset
  • Set them to be the default for the SL.

Not too difficult. After that, just capture with DNGs. :)

• Like 1

Build your own Lightroom preset/defaults:

• Shoot a photo of a color chart with a few other things (like some skin tones, reds, greens) using JPEG+raw. 
  • Adjust the RAW until it matches.
  • Save those settings as your Lightroom as a preset
  • Set them to be the default for the SL.

Not too difficult. After that, just capture with DNGs. :)

Yea I have no colour chart, and I needed to process the images by lunch today - but I got something that worked for me :) a new colour preset of my own making

I think you may have stumbled upon the reason people use Capture One. I have images with reds that drop dead in Lightroom, whereas Capture One deals with them no problem. They do a 30 day trial and I would recommend you take a problem 'red' image and try it in their raw processor.

Not sure if you tried this but in the develop module in Lightroom, if you look at the Profile in the Camera Calibration pane, you have the "Adobe Standard" option and the "Embedded". Have you tried the latter?

The embedded option is not the solution, that gives something else - worse.

That might be something to try on my m9 which doesn't have the best buffer...

www.robertpoolephotography.com

There's no advantage to dng + jpg Robert. The jpg info is in the dng. I'm not really sure why mfrs offer this setting, except that they can.