Anyone think of buying M8 again?

I still have a couple of M8s alongside their younger siblings. They now see little, but regular use. One of them should probably go, but I'll definitely keep the other.

(on a separate note, perhaps this thread belongs in another sub-forum...)

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 1

I had my first M8 from when they were originally released in 2006 and traded it after moving onto a M9-P.  I missed the M8 so much that I bought a used one; the M9-P is long gone and forgotten and the M8 gets used regularly.

Pete.

• Like 5

My first digital M was a silver M8.

I'd only buy another one if it were stupidly cheap, and it would probably have to be a later M8.2 (which I also owned) as well.

I'd be buying it simply for nostalgia, and,I guess, as a cheapo take everywhere beater.

The later Ms are just so much nicer to use and much much more reliable.

• Like 2

I'm still using my M8 on a regular basis. It just came back from Wetzlar, where it was cleaned and adjusted for free - thanks a bunch, Mrs. Frankl (Leica CS)!

The camera is working flawlessly and produces nice pictures (that surely don't look like they're - by today's standards - from the early days of digital photography). I will upload some examples as soon as I get home...:-)

• Like 1

To answer the title question, no. I had two M8s and an M8.2, got some great images from them (really good from the M8/21SA combination) and enjoyed using them but I wouldn't re-buy one for a host of reasons. That said I do wonder if Leica should have retained the crop sensor as part of the current M line up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion a Fuji X-Pro 2 now makes far more sense than an M8 if you like using M lenses with a crop-sensor body.

It must be better than my otherwise excellent Fuji X-E2 then as the latter's sensor stack is so thick that most of my M wides exhibits soft corners at wide apertures on it. Due to their thin sensor stacks, M8 & M8.2 bodies are unrivaled from this standpoint, in my limited experience at least.

• Like 3

In my opinion a Fuji X-Pro 2 now makes far more sense than an M8 if you like using M lenses with a crop-sensor body.

I almost purchased it in this year February. Downloaded manual, went through hundreds of pages and couldn't find anything abou framelines. Purchased M8 instead. It is M, it is Leica, Fuji isn't.

• Like 3