Anyone think of buying M8 again?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pedant alert :(: Strictly speaking a 50/1 Noctilux is a 67/1 Noctilux on the M8, which has an APS-H sensor (1.3x crop factor) not a APS-C (1.5 crop factor).

Pete.

Pedant alert... a 50 mm lens remains a 50 mm lens on a cropped sensor; however, for APS-H, the angle of view is equivalent to a 67 mm lens on an uncropped (35mm equivalent) sensor.

Jeff

I had my first M8 from when they were originally released in 2006 and traded it after moving onto a M9-P.  I missed the M8 so much that I bought a used one; the M9-P is long gone and forgotten and the M8 gets used regularly.

Pete.

Hi Pete

I didn't know you had bought a replacement M8.  Always thought your images in the monthly comp were from your archives.

Can you tell me when you...went backwards  ;-)) and purchased the replacement?

All best...

Hi, Dave,

I part-exchanged my first (black) M8 on my beloved 50/1 Noctilux in 2012 I think and couldn't resist a silver M8 in 2013.  I was M8-less for about 18 months.  Despite its quirks, and particularly the "sproinggg" shutter sound, I expect to have it until it gives up on me and becomes a rather impressive and attractive bookend.

Pete.

• Like 5

I recently bought a M8, my first digital Leica and think it’s fantastic and love using my old Leica glass with it. I bought it to replace my Fuji X Pro1 that I was never really happy with as it didn’t give me the same feeling as when using as my film Leica’s. To me there is nothing to match a Leica for street photography, set the Lens to f8 or f11 and zone focus and they are faster than any auto focus camera going. I just hope I manage to get a few years use from it without it becoming unserviceable. It’s a nice accompaniment to my film Ms and screw Leica’s. Long live the M8.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Not buying, but repairing.

My M8 is in to Leica for it's second shutter repair - I decided it was worth it, as I really like the camera, despite its' odd issues. The repair estimate would have been a good down payment on a new Leica CL, but... I do like the M8.

BTW - the first repair 7.5 years ago was for the shutter issue, where it would not cock properly, and would continue "looping" until the battery died or was removed.

Hopefully it will come back better than new, from what I read about Leica repair.

So, if you can call a repair a purchase, then yes, I would purchase an M8 again.

Hi, Dave,

I part-exchanged my first (black) M8 on my beloved 50/1 Noctilux in 2012 I think and couldn't resist a silver M8 in 2013.  I was M8-less for about 18 months.  Despite its quirks, and particularly the "sproinggg" shutter sound, I expect to have it until it gives up on me and becomes a rather impressive and attractive bookend.

Pete.

Interesting comment on the shutter Pete.

Mine used to make the same sound but when it came back from Wetzlar after a shutter repair and full service, it sounded completely different.

The shutter is now quieter,  smoother and sounds altogether much more refined.

Not quite sure how they could have done this?

Ernst

Interesting comment on the shutter Pete.

Mine used to make the same sound but when it came back from Wetzlar after a shutter repair and full service, it sounded completely different.

The shutter is now quieter,  smoother and sounds altogether much more refined.

Not quite sure how they could have done this?

Ernst

Hi, Ernst,

The shutter on my second M8 jammed permanently about 3 months after I bought it so it had to go to Wetzlar Camera Hospital where they replaced it.  The new shutter sounds the same as the broken one had but of course I have no way of knowing whether it was a 'new' shutter or one that was recycled from another damaged camera.

Pete.

• Like 1

Being a cheap old curmudgeon, I went to the closet and gifted a seldom-used, old M8.2 to a friend this past Christmas.  No need to spend monies on something new for the chap.  Not a single complaint from the recipient for it being 9 years old, having a crop sensor, needing a UV/IR filter, or having a whiny shutter, just the joy of a new toy.  It was his first digital M!!!

Eric

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think a lot of us still love the M8...even if we have the latest and greatest Leica..or even another brand.

I just recently acquired a M240 which I love to use, but I will always keep and use my M8 for its unique capabilities.

• Like 2

My M8, bought new in 2008, is in for repair as well.

It was upgraded with all options when the upgrade offer was made but has now had the LEDs in the finder progressively fail so now it is pure guesswork what the speed on A is, for a while I could work it out, and the arrows died early last year. The ability to behave nicely with SD cards has deserted it, it is VERY picky. 

Our friends in Wetzlar are quoting £1200 for replacement of two boards and specific clean of the viewfinder, they want to replace the hot shoe as well for some reason, I never use it, but will charge an extra £50 if I want the "old" typeface number instead of the new one, the number stays the same just the font has changed ( I know for the pedants the difference but this makes it clearer for everyone else).

So, as this is about what they bring I S/H I get a factory warranty and all cleaned/adjusted/for all parts for the same money. Some parts seem no problem, full service on a 10 year old electronic bit of kit is indded unexpected and welcome, now if they can only pull a technician off replacing M9 sensors I'm set, I'm sure they would appreciate the change  ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to sell my 2009 M8.2, my first digital M, but replaced it with a first iteration Monochrom. Both capable machines, but the M8.2 was mostly gathering dust, and this was a way to inspire more picture taking, which is all that counts. Bye UV/IR filters, hello color filters... glad I kept them from film days.

Jeff