Anyone think of buying M8 again?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm still using my M8 on a regular basis. It just came back from Wetzlar, where it was cleaned and adjusted for free - thanks a bunch, Mrs. Frankl (Leica CS)!

The camera is working flawlessly and produces nice pictures (that surely don't look like they're - by today's standards - from the early days of digital photography). I will upload some examples as soon as I get home...:-)

Please do. Look forward to seeing the images.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

One reason to keep a M8 around is for easy hand-held IR without any camera modifications; just slap on a R72 filter, do some experimenting to find a suitable ISO for the conditions (I’ve used settings anywhere from 160 to 640) and it's good to go.

31207923640_25511abebf_b.jpg

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How’s this for an endorsement? I bought my first M8 in 2014 and it was stolen in the summer of 2016 while vacationing in Alaska. Not to be without an M8, I was able to buy another from the insurance claim on the first. I sold it in January 2017 having received an offer I couldn’t refuse, over $500 what I paid for it. Seeing mounted framed images on the walls of my home including the infrared shot above being a constant reminder, I decided to buy my third M8. Having finally learned my lesson, this one will remain in my possession.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back in late August I wrote in this thread;

My M9-P went back for a new sensor a couple of months ago and I've been using my M8.2 ever since. I still love it....Sure; it's not perfect as we all know but the 8 has been on holiday with me for the past 2 1/2 weeks......I've been using my Voigt 28mm and 40mm in place of my 35mm and 50mm Leitz (although those have been used too)......

Well, when the M9-P came back it had the dreaded dead-pixel-stripe syndrome - leaving me with over 500 shots to retouch in the process - so off it went again and the M8.2 has been on duty once more. I'm STILL loving it.

Mine has less than 4000 clicks and looks new.  It is my M9 backup.   If I ever buy a 10,  it will still be with me.. 

I know what you mean. If I ever buy an M10 I suspect I will keep the M8.2 and sell the M9-P.

The 8 has around 20,000 actuations (as opposed to the near 40,000 of the 9) and is only just starting to become nicely worn-in.

Pip.

• Like 1

I have a M8 that is the most cherished piece I use. Bought an M9 and ultimately sold it. I now use Sony for full frame but I'm not fully comfortable with the layout.

I also just picked up another M8 locally with 545 frames...truly mint. Late 333xxxx number body

I've put it in the closet- just in case. You never know, might be worth something someday.

I'm a very fortunate individual!

Buy one!

I used my first M8, bought about 4 years ago, and put 20K exposures through it.  It's  still one of my favourite cameras...so much so I bought another one in silver, as a "backup" .

Couldn't  imagine selling either of them. 

The files are good. But I like FF lenses, avoiding edge effects of a FF sensor. 

Very reliable camera. 

• Like 1

...M9 and now a 240 but I'm still unable to sell my two m8 bodies.

They are great for black and white as well as IR, but I still use them for

colour too.  I particularly like the 32mm crop when using a 24mm lens;

wider than 32mm but somehow without the wide 'look' of a 28mm

I dunno... I still love the M8 and find the crop factor useful when using

several focal lengths.

Edited by squarenegs
  • Like 1

Thanks to their thin sensor stack, M8 and M8.2 are the only crop cameras having no corner problems with M wides. They are still superior to mirrorless crop cameras from this standpoint, including the new Leica CL. 

Also very much to do with the offset photodiodes at the KAF 10500 sensor's edges.

Pete.

• Like 3

Also very much to do with the offset photodiodes at the KAF 10500 sensor's edges.

Sure but the thickness of the sensor stack plays a major role as i can see it with my Kolari modded Sony A7s. Its modded filter is as thin or thinner than my M240's and gives similarly acceptable and sometimes better results in spite of the lack of special photodiodes or microlenses on the sensor. Curiously enough its IQ reminds me of my M8.2 which has the thinnest (0.5mm?) sensor stack if i'm not mistaken.

I had my first M8 from when they were originally released in 2006 and traded it after moving onto a M9-P.  I missed the M8 so much that I bought a used one; the M9-P is long gone and forgotten and the M8 gets used regularly.

Pete.

When I compare the results shooting B and W with my M8.2 against the MK1 monochrome I honestly feel that the term "poor" mans monochrom should be "prudent' mans monochrom. 

When I compare the results shooting B and W with my M8.2 against the MK1 monochrome I honestly feel that the term "poor" mans monochrom should be "prudent' mans monochrom. 

That has been exactly what I have been feeling!

At some point I owned both cameras. 

And honestly the monochrome at low ISO just always felt too clean and digi to me. 

The m8 however gets "dirty" in that great organic sort of way very quickly and just sings in BW. 

Obviously the Mono gets nice with ISO over 1200 and higher but considering the rotting sensors, the price difference I truly think the M8 is a superb BW machine. 

• Like 3

What is it that makes the M8 different from the M9 in black & white shooting? Is there a difference in the IR filter on the sensor,  as I believed that the M9 sensor was simply a larger M8 sensor?

Ernst

Yes, Ernst, there's a thicker IR filter cover on the M8's Kodak KAF 18500 sensor to reject more IR and permit unfiltered black fabrics to be black rather than the M8's 'magenta black'.  The KAF 10500 and KAF 18500 are the same in everything but size.  Whether this is what makes the difference in b&w has never been proven as far as I'm aware.

Pete.

• Like 1

That has been exactly what I have been feeling!

At some point I owned both cameras. 

And honestly the monochrome at low ISO just always felt too clean and digi to me. 

The m8 however gets "dirty" in that great organic sort of way very quickly and just sings in BW. 

Obviously the Mono gets nice with ISO over 1200 and higher but considering the rotting sensors, the price difference I truly think the M8 is a superb BW machine.

The infra red issue with the M8/M8.2 is no handicap for B&W just don’t use the IR cut filters. Owners of 50mm Noctilux have a ready made 75mm Noctilux when the crop factor is considered,thus saving £10K on the lens launched yesterday.(grin).

With some of the papers available today it is possible to have some great pictures on the wall using an M8.

The infra red issue with the M8/M8.2 is no handicap for B&W just don’t use the IR cut filters. Owners of 50mm Noctilux have a ready made 75mm Noctilux when the crop factor is considered,thus saving £10K on the lens launched yesterday.(grin).

With some of the papers available today it is possible to have some great pictures on the wall using an M8.

Pedant alert  :(: Strictly speaking a 50/1 Noctilux is a 67/1 Noctilux on the M8, which has an APS-H sensor (1.3x crop factor) not a APS-C (1.5 crop factor).   

Pete.

• Like 1