vertical line at high ISO

tomppa

• 2 months later...

I received today a special FirmWare (DefectMapFirmware_) to solve the "line" issue.

Its seems to solve the problem. Just did some quick tests.

Having a similar problem ! Could you please tell me what was the Leica email address you used to report the problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Like 1

Can someone explain how firmware fixes a sensor problem like this? Do they just delete that line from the readout and interpolate the results?

What about future general firmware updates? Would you need to keep re-applying a patch?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is correct. It is the accepted way of fixing pixel defects. It is called sensor remapping. All sensors are mapped from new, sometimes they need to be remapped. There is a maximum number of pixels that may be remapped, depending on the quality target that the manufacturer has set, depending on the level the camera is on. Above that number the sensor must be changed. In fact, Leica has a rather low tolerance, resulting in a proportionally high number of sensors swapped out under guaranty.

If the camera makers were to use completely flawless sensors, camera prices would explode. A perfect sensor will cost in the tens of thousands of dollars.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

My Silver M10 just popped up with this issue. I have a line going across the middle of the frame (no light source on either side) but yet a green line appears. The line is about 4-6 pixels wide. I emailed Leica support and my Leica dealer. Hoping for a quick fix. Will post an update. I guess this solves my Iceland camera issue. Sony it will be unless they come through by Thursday evening.

It seems unlikely to be four pixels wide, one is more typical, but please keep us informed.

In the meantime, as suggested earlier if one of the defective images is cherished there are PP measures to save it.

Very Best

Edited by pico

You are probably correct about the width. I did a quick zoom in Lightroom and counted pixelated boxes. That is not a good way to count the line width. Definitely a solid green line across with some bleed over above and below.

Not a cherished photo. I just happened to test out my 75 on the camera. The frame lines lever was sticking. I shot a photo of my son and bam, there it was. I have not noticed it in any other photos to this point. I have had this M10 a month and have shot the 35 lux on it the entire time. I suspect I didn't have any high ISO photos and that is why I didn't see it. Starting around 6400 it is present in nearly all of the photos. What sucks is I was planning on taking it to Iceland with me. We leave Friday. I doubt Leica responds fast enough with a FW to fix this issue. Plus, I would want to test it out to be comfortable it was fixed. That's to bad because the 35 lux and 75 Summarit seem to make a great pairing. On the M10. I will definitely report back here as things progress.

Update. Leica got me the FW update the morning I was to fly out. I loaded the FW, checked a few test shots, and packed it. No regrets. I’m in Iceland with my M10 and 35Lux and loving life (minus what they call summer).

Leica and my Leica dealer (Leica Miami) we’re both very responsive and helpful. Thumbs up all around.

Update. Leica got me the FW update the morning I was to fly out. I loaded the FW, checked a few test shots, and packed it. No regrets. I’m in Iceland with my M10 and 35Lux and loving life (minus what they call summer).

Leica and my Leica dealer (Leica Miami) we’re both very responsive and helpful. Thumbs up all around.

Good to hear that.

Did they say what was the problem?

Having a similar problem ! Could you please tell me what was the Leica email address you used to report the problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I clicked the general contact email on the Leica website, selecting Wetzlar, Germany & they replied with instructions within two working days.

Be sure to update to the latest M10 firmware first & after that, retake a sample file before sending in.

Edited by brill64

• 2 years later...

Hello and welcome to the forum.  

The firmware Leica will provide you is specific for your camera and not to be exchanged between other cameras as it will remap the wrong pixel(s).  So you will probably have to provide Leica with a DNG file taken by your camera that shows the defect and they will mail you a DefectMapFirmware that is specific for your camera.

Good luck !

Edited by Stef63
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ABEL DANG said:

Can you share firmware, because i have same problem too

That would be useless as pixel mapping is for an individual sensor. Your camera would probably refuse to load it. 

• Thanks 1