Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10 sensor error at high ISO?

at 3200 and at 12500 I get sometimes a vertical black line on top.
Starting from left to right.
At day or at low iso I do not see the line.
serial 5191....

• 2 months later...

I received today a special FirmWare (DefectMapFirmware_) to solve the "line" issue.

Its seems to solve the problem. Just did some quick tests.

Having a similar problem ! Could you please tell me what was the Leica email address you used to report the problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Can someone explain how firmware fixes a sensor problem like this? Do they just delete that line from the readout and interpolate the results?

What about future general firmware updates? Would you need to keep re-applying a patch?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is correct. It is the accepted way of fixing pixel defects. It is called sensor remapping. All sensors are mapped from new, sometimes they need to be remapped. There is a maximum number of pixels that may be remapped, depending on the quality target that the manufacturer has set, depending on the level the camera is on. Above that number the sensor must be changed. In fact, Leica has a rather low tolerance, resulting in a proportionally high number of sensors swapped out under guaranty.

If the camera makers were to use completely flawless sensors, camera prices would explode. A perfect sensor will cost in the tens of thousands of dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

My Silver M10 just popped up with this issue. I have a line going across the middle of the frame (no light source on either side) but yet a green line appears. The line is about 4-6 pixels wide. I emailed Leica support and my Leica dealer. Hoping for a quick fix. Will post an update. I guess this solves my Iceland camera issue. Sony it will be unless they come through by Thursday evening.

It seems unlikely to be four pixels wide, one is more typical, but please keep us informed.

In the meantime, as suggested earlier if one of the defective images is cherished there are PP measures to save it.

Very Best

Edited by pico

You are probably correct about the width. I did a quick zoom in Lightroom and counted pixelated boxes. That is not a good way to count the line width. Definitely a solid green line across with some bleed over above and below.

Not a cherished photo. I just happened to test out my 75 on the camera. The frame lines lever was sticking. I shot a photo of my son and bam, there it was. I have not noticed it in any other photos to this point. I have had this M10 a month and have shot the 35 lux on it the entire time. I suspect I didn't have any high ISO photos and that is why I didn't see it. Starting around 6400 it is present in nearly all of the photos. What sucks is I was planning on taking it to Iceland with me. We leave Friday. I doubt Leica responds fast enough with a FW to fix this issue. Plus, I would want to test it out to be comfortable it was fixed. That's to bad because the 35 lux and 75 Summarit seem to make a great pairing. On the M10. I will definitely report back here as things progress.

Update. Leica got me the FW update the morning I was to fly out. I loaded the FW, checked a few test shots, and packed it. No regrets. I’m in Iceland with my M10 and 35Lux and loving life (minus what they call summer).

Leica and my Leica dealer (Leica Miami) we’re both very responsive and helpful. Thumbs up all around.

Update. Leica got me the FW update the morning I was to fly out. I loaded the FW, checked a few test shots, and packed it. No regrets. I’m in Iceland with my M10 and 35Lux and loving life (minus what they call summer).

Leica and my Leica dealer (Leica Miami) we’re both very responsive and helpful. Thumbs up all around.

Good to hear that.

Did they say what was the problem?

Having a similar problem ! Could you please tell me what was the Leica email address you used to report the problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I clicked the general contact email on the Leica website, selecting Wetzlar, Germany & they replied with instructions within two working days.

Be sure to update to the latest M10 firmware first & after that, retake a sample file before sending in.

Edited by brill64
  • 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Hello and welcome to the forum.  

The firmware Leica will provide you is specific for your camera and not to be exchanged between other cameras as it will remap the wrong pixel(s).  So you will probably have to provide Leica with a DNG file taken by your camera that shows the defect and they will mail you a DefectMapFirmware that is specific for your camera.

Good luck !

Edited by Stef63
8 hours ago, ABEL DANG said:

Can you share firmware, because i have same problem too

That would be useless as pixel mapping is for an individual sensor. Your camera would probably refuse to load it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EdricBF
      Hi all,
      I am still puzzled why my DNG files show no hot pixel but the corresponding JPEGs (option "DNG & JPEG...") do.
      I have read here that DNG files were stripped of such pixels automatically, but I can't understand why the camera does not do the same to the corresponding JPEGs...
      Does anyone know?
      Thanks
    • By McMax
      I post this to see if anyone else have/had the same sensor issues with their M240 (M-P).

I was playing around in Lightroom in November 2017, mainly testing different extreme values with the haze control, and other stuff to experiment with my photography. To my astonishment I saw a vertical line running exactly in the middle of the uncropped image. I then tested a photo from April 2015 that was taken with another M240 M-P body I had at that time. And the same vertical line appeared. I then randomly tested several other photos, and the same line appears, in virtually all photos, from both M-P bodies! I have a total of more than 20000 photos with M-P:s that in some or another way are affected by this problem.

Attached here is an example of a jpg from M-P body 1, and one of M-P body 2, after tweakning the dng:s.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! 
      The dng:s and full JPG:s can be downloaded to view through the links provided here:

Link to DNG (M-P body 1): https://we.tl/FQQkFgKo7U
      Link to JPG (M-P body 1): https://we.tl/4BpPecbwmR

Link to DNG (M-P body 2): https://we.tl/O2Kb9XKab7
      Link to JPG (M-P body 2): https://we.tl/a3Vw2FUBYQ

These images do not represent my photography (www.m9x.se), but they show the problem very clearly.

So I went to my local Leica center in Stockholm who sent it to Leica in Germany. My lokal Leica dealer is fantastic by the way.

I instructed Leica to test the way I had done in Lightroom doing the following:
      - adjust ”haze” to a the right
      - lower the value of vibrance
      - lower the value of saturation
      - set exposure to show a standard good histogram curve

Leica concluded that the sensor ”function within tolerances”. They said:

Both I and my lokal Leica dealer where astonished and very surprised. Separately we wrote to Leica. My dealer wrote this to Leica:

To add to this, I told Leica that I would most likely post something on a forum to see if others have the same problem. To this Leica sent out a in-house alert message (that I mistakenly received a copy of) saying:

Have I found an inherent problem with the sensor construction on the M240?

To sum up:
      The vertical line appears in the exact same position in both bodys. This probably means it is an inherent problem in the construction of the sensor, or? My guess is that the sensor consists of two halves fused together, and that this fuse is not seamless (no, I do not know this, I am not a technician). The line appears in Lightroom (but also in C1Pro, Silver Efex Pro, ON1 Photo Raw). So it is not a matter of software. Although, in Lightroom (Leica´s preferred software) it appears much stronger than in C1P11. I have tested other cameras, and I cannot get a vertical line to appear in any images from them. I tested a GH4 heavily during the period my M-P was in Germany, as well as Ricoh GRii. And my old M9 did not have this problem, nor the even older Canon 5D. It is not a dead pixel problem. It is not banding. A camera that costs around 7000 Euro should not have this kind of sensor issue. A photographer/artist should be able to tweak a photo without a vertical line separating the image in two halves.  There are many other competing camera makers nowadays. A camera company in 2018 should not act this way to faithful consumers. My Leica garage includes/included: R4, M9, M-P, 18/3.4, 28/2.8 Asph, 35/2 vers 4, two 50/1.4 Asph, 50/1.4, two 75/2 APO, 90/2.8, Digital flash SD20, etc…  I am a devoted hobby photographer. I am not rich (not even close) and the expenses from Leica equipment means less of other things in my life. But I have spent 25000 Euro on Leica products through the years. I do not make any money on photography. I have used Leica for the love of their products. But maybe not som much anymore, to which I am very sad. Any one out there that has had the same problem?
    • By bancosydney
      Well, as an experienced M film user, you can imagine my disappointment ...

I picked up my M10 in Sydney today and took about 100 shots at a family gathering with two lenses, a ZM Biogon 35/2 and a Summarit 75/2.5, shooting with auto ISO.

On (I think) all the ISO 2500 images, I got horizontal lines that run all the way across the image.  The lines seem to be 1 pixel high: see the first and third images I've uploaded.  The files I've uploaded are 100% crops from the DNGs processed in Lightroom 5.7.1 (clicking auto exposure to bring out the issue, but it's visible on the straight conversions too).  The same problem is also visible, in the same places, on the camera JPGs.  Unsurprisingly, it's easiest to detect in shadow areas, but none of these was massively over or underexposed.  It happened with both lenses (the Biogon hand-coded as a Summicron 35 and the Summarit auto-coding).

Weirdly, I cannot find these problem lines at any other ISO sensitivities, and auto ISO picked a large range, from about 400 up to 10,000.  There just seems to be something wrong with 2500.

The other problem is a number of what appear to be hot pixels, which are not confined to ISO 2500.  I've attached a shot (the second one, with the bottom of the beer bottle) that was taken at ISO 3200 and shows them fairly clearly.

The camera is running firmware 1.3.4.0.

I should add that I'm not at all new to Lightroom or digital generally.  I've shot Nikon digital for many years.  But this is my first digital M.

So: have I got a dud body, and should I just take it back for exchange for a new one?

All the best,

Richard

(I should also add that I've read this forum for a long time, and found it very helpful and informative, but I've never felt I had anything to add or any query to raise.  I've searched the forum but can't find posts dealing with similar problems to the one I'm experiencing.  The closest was about an M10 with horizontal banding, but that post did not seem to be about lines only 1 pixel high.)

• By mnutzer
      M8.2 with a vertical line just outside the center of a photo - any suggestions?
      Fortunately seen so far only once. If the sensor is defective?

1. DNG converted in Lightroom 5.7

2. JPG bw out of M8.2

3. crop from DNG

M8.2 • MATE 50 • ISO 160 • LR5.7 • Eglisau (CH) • Okt.2014.

• By Btbowie
      Hey everyone,
      So my M8 that Id been waiting on arrived this morning from NYC, bought from a reputable dealer, and I have the opportunity to return it within a week according to their policy. The gripe is, though this thing is pristine and I hate to return it, I found a hot pixel
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Its easily seen at 640+, basically thought Id pick your brains as to whether this is something I can get fixed even though I bought it used, out of warranty obviously, or better to return it? Ive seen similar threads regarding the banding problems, that doesnt seem to be a problem with mine, its just the one pixel, which creates the vertical line situation I saw some of you had experienced, though the threads I read, you're cameras were under warranty and were fixed or replaced, Im in a different boat, so I thought Id see if anyone could enlighten. Thanks in advance!
      Bryan
      I attached a photo, test shot of a wall in my house, you can see the vertical line as well as the little red hot pixel, gets more pronounced as you zoom further in etc.