That much difference between 50 Lux Asph vs v3?

memorylane

Congratulations on the new purchase! 

I did quite a similar thing yesterday, by acquiring a lux 50 V3 in the screw mount. Quite a bit heavier than the regular black version I used to have, and the LTM version does not focus to as close as 0.7m. It stops at about 0.9m. Still..coming from the regular v2 of the same lens, that's not a big issue for me. 

Enjoy your lens! :)  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

I bought one of those from Red Dot and when mounted the barrel markings were slightly off-centre, unlike yours. I was told this was normal for that version (SE made for Japanese market – it came with integral UV filter). I sold it principally because of its heavy weight.

Yes it is quite hefty indeed, although still fairly tolerable for me comparing to the chrome version of the lux 50 ASPH, which was what I was originally thinking of returning to:)

For what it's worth, the pre-ASPH (the one with the built-in hood) is identified by the Leica 6-bit coding as "Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 (II)" [...]

Is this an M10 novelty? Might mean that v2 cannot be encoded contrary to v3, which is another difference between them BTW.

Edited by lct

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is the response of Leica Customer Care Service (Wetzlar) to my query about the 50/1.4 v3:

« The LEICA SUMMILUX M 1.4/50 lens (code 11868) was launched approx. 1994 on photokina in Cologne. The first deliveries have been made beginning of 1995. This lens in question was the third generation of this SUMMILUX lens and was totally redesigned, optical and mechanical. E.g. The close-up focus was now 70 cm. and it had an telescopic lens hood.  The lens was discontinued approx. 2004. »

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

First, I bought a black Summilux 50mm (APO) Asph. Sold it a few month later to get a brass Chrome version. 

Then I found a Mandler’s design pre-Asph v3... the rendering is magic, sharpness is plenty enough for me... the only optical default I might complain about is its strong barrel distortion... but it’s “fixable”. 

Now, my brass Chrome Summilux Asph is for sell... 😉

• Like 2

Yes, I think this lens is a little jewel. Magic rendering and, like other Mandler lenses, much more "interesting" bokeh than the modern versions. I'll use it extensively this summer to see if it can serve as my main lens under all conditions. If it can (and I expect it can), I will shelve my plans about getting another ASPH lens.