MP M10 When?

eleskin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been holding of on an M10 purchase because in my heart, I want a classic design (M3 style) M digital.  We have seen this int eh M9 and M240, and are waiting for the M10 version. The last digital M I bought was the M8 , and that was not pocket change  in  2007.  My feelings are If I am going to spend $7,000 USD plus, I should be able to get what I want. My money is hard to come by and I cannot afford  to upgrade all the time, to every new model year after year.  I hear rumors here and there, so as I am sure most of you have.  So any info would be appreciated. I fully intend to buy an M10, but it needs to be what I really want.  

:p As soon as possible, but not before that time.

The question is which one comes first M10 M (Monochrom) or M10 P (or MP 10 ) or even M10 D (no screen).

But when waiting for that, why not use what we have NOW ?

M10 as is may be the "best of all time digital M".

Another idea, buy M10 as is now and send for "à la carte program" when available.

Same question here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/272160-monochrom-lead-time/

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

You can always wait. Currently you can wait till the release of the "P" version and then to the next version. In the wait you save a lot of money, but also many beautiful experiences.

• Like 1

You can always wait. Currently you can wait till the release of the "P" version and then to the next version. In the wait you save a lot of money, but also many beautiful experiences.

The M8 is still a wonderfull experience;

- the B&W is nearly as good as the Monochrome 1, but has better infrared possibilities, the best of all digital M's

- for files of 10Mb, it delivers unknown IQ, which is a financial advantage too, because you won't need Terabyte storage devices that soon. Buying an M10 has caused me to buy more storage capacity in 3 months time, let alone RAM memory

- if you're using it for 10 years now you'll have become used to the infrared filters and the crop factor, your lens fleet will be accustomed to it (I sold my 50 Summilux asph because I didn't like it on the M9, I found it great on the M8, didn't need a 75mm)

- if you have no coffee stain on your screen you're a lucky guy; if you do have you have a sort of M-D for a very reasonable price

• Like 2

- the B&W is nearly as good as the Monochrome 1, but has better infrared possibilities, the best of all digital M's

- for files of 10Mb, it delivers unknown IQ, which is a financial advantage too, because you won't need Terabyte storage devices that soon. Buying an M10 has caused me to buy more storage capacity in 3 months time, let alone RAM memory

- if you're using it for 10 years now you'll have become used to the infrared filters and the crop factor, your lens fleet will be accustomed to it (I sold my 50 Summilux asph because I didn't like it on the M9, I found it great on the M8, didn't need a 75mm)

- if you have no coffee stain on your screen you're a lucky guy; if you do have you have a sort of M-D for a very reasonable price

I would add exceptional perceived sharpness of the M8 files.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

:) Ah M8, that's long time ago and I always appreciate this "dinosaurus M" with "light-good files".

I'm glad that at that time I didn't wait to buy one as soon as I could: M8 was sort of digital M waited for long.

When I look now at those "old pictures" ( :lol: 10 years only !) I'm very pleased to have taken them.

M10 is another milestone but those M before were/are also milestones (that's me think), even M-A :rolleyes: .

My thinking is that stuffs are made to be used, and only photos taken with them are important (more or less ease and/or with more or less pleasure to use).

:p As soon as possible, but not before that time.

The question is which one comes first M10 M (Monochrom) or M10 P (or MP 10 ) or even M10 D (no screen).

But when waiting for that, why not use what we have NOW ?

M10 as is may be the "best of all time digital M".

Another idea, buy M10 as is now and send for "à la carte program" when available.

Same question here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/272160-monochrom-lead-time/

Actually I'm more interested in a M10 Monochrom than a M10. So I'll shoot with a M240/246 until then.

Actually I'm more interested in a M10 Monochrom than a M10. So I'll shoot with a M240/246 until then.

What good would it bring, I fear unnatural sharpness

That a photo is sharper, has more micro-detail than what you see with your own eye in a real life situation, with or without glasses. and that this is due to the lens/sensor combination that works as a sort of loupe/microscope

That a photo is sharper, has more micro-detail than what you see with your own eye in a real life situation, with or without glasses. and that this is due to the lens/sensor combination that works as a sort of loupe/microscope

I'm not sure that is possible. Every single thing you see is with the human eye. Light can be changed but detail is there when you take the picture and it can be seen with the naked eye. If there is more sharpness and detail that can't be seen with the naked eye how would you know?

Because the lens can work as a loupe, as I said. Like in fashion photograpy where the structure of textiles is made clearly visible with high resolution systems that you wouldn't notice in real life to that extent, unless you come very close.

What I mean can also be seen in the landscapes of Vieri here in the forum, made with the S007. With all respect for his work, I don't know if I like that imaging style produced by utterly high resolution systems. I wasn't always a fan of Hasselblad work either, for instance by Mapplethorpe or LF portraits of Avedon

Edited by otto.f

I have been holding of on an M10 purchase because in my heart, I want a classic design (M3 style) M digital. 

I'm thinking the only thing you're desiring from the M10 would be no red dot and some script on the top plate, right?  The M10 already looks a lot like a M3, you know.  And for those minor changes (that may never even occur), are you really willing to miss out on actually going outside and taking photographs with the M10 for a full year or so?  

• Like 4

It could be the original poster wants something like a digital M6J - which was a 1994 commemorative that seriously reproduced all the retro cosmetic cues of the M3: raised frames around the front windows (and of course - three windows, to include one for illuminating the framelines), raised "band" across the RF window area, diamond knurling [XXXXX] on the top knobs, more detailing on a more compact frame-preview lever, chrome top plate extending down around the lens mount. And 0.85x viewfinder.

https://www.cameraquest.com/leicam6j.htm

I guess, with Leica, you never say "never." The knobs and levers are a simple change. But for the top-plate revise, you'd be looking at serious cost for a whole rebuild. The new M10 finder is much larger, and doesn't have room around it for beveled borders. (And you'd have to put the window glass inside the top plate, rather than gluing it in the front.) Revamp of the finders internals to restore natural-light frameline illumination and the third window.

However, the M6J was not a "production" camera for $1000 more than the basic M6 - it was a limited-edition that cost 4-5 times the basic M6 price.

Since the M10 already includes in the base camera - frame lever, massive high-speed buffer for 5 fps, gorilla glass on the LCD - there is not much that can be upgraded in a "simple" M10P. Black paint (probably), sapphire glass, and as mentioned: knobs, engraving and removal of the red logo.

Edited by adan