Battery chargers for the M9 and M8 stopped working, simultaneously.

Lax Jought

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wondering if anyone knows what's going on - I've had my M8.2 since 2009/2010, and I've had my M9-P for about a year.  I've never had any problem charging my batteries in all this time. 

However, yesterday when I tried to charge the battery for the M9-P, both chargers stopped working simultaneously.  I believe I tried the M8 charger first, and when that refused to work (no lights on at all), I pulled out the M9 charger and surprisingly had the same result (ie. no lights at all). 

Every other electronic device plugged into the same power points worked fine.  I tried a few power points in the house and the M8/M9 chargers didn't work on any of them (even though other devices plugged into those power points worked fine).

I even took the chargers to my workplace today and tried it at the power points there, no such luck, again no lights.

How do both chargers stop working at the same time for no reason?  It can't possibly be the power points.  It can't possibly be the battery/batteries because they were working fine. 

Any idea what's going on?  Help?

Power spike?

But I would expect that to affect some other device as well.

There was no power spike at the time - all electronic devices were on and working properly. And the weird thing is, about 5 minutes later when I found the charger for the M9-P and plugged it in, it simply didn't work either.

The charger for my M240 works fine.

I just can't figure it out.

Edited by Lax Jought

Two chargers at the same time? I think you need to get Steve Huff and his Wonderbox in to talk to the spirit of Oscar Barnack, who is undoubtedly the culprit.

• Like 1

It's bee so long I can't remember but are the batteries for both M8 and 9 the same?

Yup - same batteries.

Were you using the same cord for each charger?

Nope - both chargers had their own cords, plus when they didn't work I also tried a third cord and a fourth one for the M240 charger (which I know works).

Chargers are different, M8's original charger is much bigger and direct plug, M9's one does need a power cord.

M8's charger delivered with different plugs to be change for each type of mains.

Actually the charger for the M8.2 is almost identical to the M9 charger, Leica updated the original M8 charger to reduce the size/bulk and charging time too, I believe.

If that's the case I suspect bad batteries?

That would be weird because all the batteries refused to charge on both chargers. This is so perplexing. Edited by Lax Jought

Perhaps just the LED's are not working and the batteries are still being charged. I have an M8 charger with this issue. It works but the LED lights are dead.

It isn't that - I left the battery charged plugged in for a few hours but there was still no charge.  But it would be very strange for this to happen to two chargers at exactly the same time. 

I have no idea what to do, to be honest.

You need to isolate the variables I guess.

the batteries

the camera

the charger

the charger leads

the socket

you'll need known working copied of each in that case

I agree. 

I have isolated the cords / charger leads - tried three plus my M240 cord which I know works, so it can't be the cord.

I tried several batteries which I know are working, the charging still doesn't work, so I know it isn't the batteries.

I tried several sockets around the house which I know works because I have other thing plugged into them.   AND I also took the chargers to work to try them on the sockets there, still no dice.

That leaves the charger units themselves - I tried the M8 charger (which I've used since 2009/2010 with no problems), and then when that didn't work I tried the M9 charger which I have had for a year with no problems.  Both of them did not work on the same day, at the same reasonable time, within the space of 10 mins.

• 3 weeks later...

Switched mode power AC to DC convertes! I guess they just don't last as long as the power supplies of yore. In return you get much higher efficiency, smaller size and lower cost (ok, maybe not lower cost when it's OEM'ed by Leica).

Time to get a new charger I suppose. Or you might fire up you soldering iron and rig up something yourself, maybe you'll even make one of them batteries explode if you are lucky.

• Like 1

My M9 charger died on mains recently, but strangely still works when plugged into the car charger via the 12 volt plug. Try that... at least it's not totally dead (although probably not repairable either...).

Switched mode power AC to DC convertes! I guess they just don't last as long as the power supplies of yore. In return you get much higher efficiency, smaller size and lower cost (ok, maybe not lower cost when it's OEM'ed by Leica).

Time to get a new charger I suppose. Or you might fire up you soldering iron and rig up something yourself, maybe you'll even make one of them batteries explode if you are lucky.

Leica Australia lent me a spare battery.  The battery was fully charged when I received it, so I'm going to take a few photos and run it down this weekend, then I'll try the battery with my chargers and see what happens.  The Leica rep said a faulty battery may have shorted out both my chargers. 

From the Leica viewpoint it sounds reasonable to me that the M8 an M9 chargers are put off at headquarters, since the M10 is out now for several months already, ;)

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1