Filter or No Filter?

Likaleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering how many people routinely use filters with their Monochrom (I or II).  And if not routinely, do you carry a set for certain situations, such as rendering skin or darkening the sky?  And if you don't use filters, do you ever feel limited is post-processing?  I don't use filters with the M9M except in rare instances.

I have the the first version Monochrom and routinely use the yellow (K1 and K2), orange and sometimes red (25A).

I come from a black and white film background where filters were my go to for landscapes mainly to darken/ accentuate skies. At that time I rarely shot people so choosing a filter for skin rendering was not a consideration.

The CCD sensor of the version 1 lends itself very nicely to filter use IMHO. No experience with the version 2 CMOS. I have tried shooting without and using PP to emulate the effects but have found the results varied so carry filters wherever I go. Unfortunately this adds cost and weight depending on how many different filter sizes you need.

• Like 1

A yellow or orange is nice to have in the bag all the time, and take a red if I know I will need it. I more or less standardise on 46mm filters and use a step up ring 39-46 for older Summicron's.

• Like 1

I use the orange filter mainly. Leica Mono CCD. I have yellow and red for both 46 and 39 mm thread lenses. I love working with no filters too or using 3 stop ND filter when shooting at f2 sometimes. Wherever blue sky fills the frame, the orange filter works well. Using the yellow less now, and red on special occasions.

• Like 1

Darker sky seems to be the main reason for filters (foliage and skin tones, too).  Anybody just use a polarizing filter routinely for this?  A little difficult with MMI but LV on MM2 would make it easy.