Optical Rangefinder Focus Problem

ShaunD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up my M10 this week and shot a couple of photos all seemed OK but today after a few photos I started to have a problem focusing using the optical rangefinder. In the defined rectangle used for rangefinder focusing the image in the rectangle is neither split or out of focus at any focal length.

I can focus with live view but the viewfinder, changing the lens does not alter matters.

I also have the M6 and this is perfect very easy to focus the images correctly in the viewfinder with the same lenses as I am using on the M10 these being a 50mm/f2 Summicron 6 bit encoded and a 35mm/f2 Summicron no coding. I also tried manual and auto lens selection no difference. 

Any ideas? 

The image is never out of focus in the rectangle, it shifts. Unless, of course, you have your finger in front of the window.

In the small defined rectangle in the viewfinder the "out of focus" as I described it is referred to in the manual as a superimposed double image method (I hope that makes more sense). Neither this nor the split image appear in my viewfinder any more.

I have owned several Leica M's and I don't put my fingers in front of the rangefinder viewing window the rangefinder viewing window or lens, I have never experienced this with any Leica M before.

Unless anyone can help me solve it I will return it to my Leica dealer tomorrow.

Problem solved :)

Under closer inspection the rangefinder viewing window had picked up a dirty deposit that covered most of the window and was almost invisible as it was dark in colour. I did not spot this until I got to my local Leica dealer and then I saw it under the bright lights in the showroom as the dealer pointed the camera towards me trying to focus it himself.

Where I picked up the contamination from or what it was i don't know. The dirt would not come off with a dry cloth and had to be removed with a wet type of lens cleaning solution and that sorted it out. The good news is there is no technical issue at all with the M10 as I had feared yesterday.

My dealer said in all his 30 years of dealing with Leicas he had never encountered this particular issue before.

• Like 4

My dealer said in all his 30 years of dealing with Leicas he had never encountered this particular issue before.

This is the first thing I check when the rangefinder isn't working as expected...its not all that uncommon and you will encounter this again. 

It seems the M10 is more suspect to blockage from oily finger prints than any previous M though. Ive experienced this at least a half a dozen times now.

• Like 2

kind of surprising that the dealer didn't immediately check this...with all due respect to the hard working dealers out there, I am continually surprised and the lack of basic knowledge many possess. To say that in 30 years they have never encountered a dirty rangefinder window is mind boggling.

This is the first thing I check when the rangefinder isn't working as expected...its not all that uncommon and you will encounter this again. 

It seems the M10 is more suspect to blockage from oily finger prints than any previous M though. Ive experienced this at least a half a dozen times now.

Well, maybe I am a bit more careful where I place my fingers and they don't produce "The dirt would not come off with a dry cloth and had to be removed with a wet type of lens cleaning solution and that sorted it out."  :p

• Like 1