Stack Contax 645/EF and EF Smart/SL

tthorne

Interesting question. 

I have a Canon adapter for the SL and some Schneider-Kreuznach lenses for my PhaseOne XF. 
Can you provide a link to the Contax 645 adapter? Maybe I will buy one and check.

• Like 1

Interesting question. 

I have a Canon adapter for the SL and some Schneider-Kreuznach lenses for my PhaseOne XF. 

Can you provide a link to the Contax 645 adapter? Maybe I will buy one and check.

Link below, but this is meant for Contax 645 mount, so the Phase/Schneider lenses will not work with it. I am curious though if there is another way to make that work because I have a nice collection of blue ring Schneiders with the XF also, and there are a few I wouldn't mind being able to use on the SL. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4LZJPL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I have a JAS Contax 645/EF adapter and tested it with Novoflex Canon EF-lenses to Leica SL adapter.

Nothing worked.

No aperture info and no AF

Maybe there is a trick to do it.

Thats too bad. I just ordered the Novoflex EF to SL and the Kippon Contax to EF, so I will test that out and see, but I feel like I will likely be returning those. It is too bad there isn't pass through functionality on the Leica Contax to S and S to SL adapters. 

• Like 1

Link below, but this is meant for Contax 645 mount, so the Phase/Schneider lenses will not work with it. I am curious though if there is another way to make that work because I have a nice collection of blue ring Schneiders with the XF also, and there are a few I wouldn't mind being able to use on the SL. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4LZJPL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Today my Phase One dealer told me that for Schneider-Kreuznach there is no adapter available. What a pity. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You know there is a SL to S adapter and for the S there is the Leica S-Adapter C for Contax 645 lenses...

You can buy two Leica adapters and use them on your SL I'd guess.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/Technical-Equipment/S-Adapter-V-P67-M645

So there is no chance to set aperture on the S(L) with the adapter.

That is for the Hasselblad V, Pentax 67 and Mamiya 645 adapters...

The Contax 645 adapter (Leica S-Adapter C) made by Leica has electronics and does autofocus, exif, aperture etc. etc.

Same for the Leica S-Adapter H for Hasselblad H lenses.

See second pic in my article written about using Leica S with Contax 645 lenses with the above mentioned adapter.

http://jipvankuijk.nl/leica-s-with-contax-645-lenses/

Edited by jip

You know there is a SL to S adapter and for the S there is the Leica S-Adapter C for Contax 645 lenses...

You can buy two Leica adapters and use them on your SL I'd guess.

I tried to stack those two adapters and the camera did not recognized them.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I am aware none of the active adapters for the SL allow stacking with the exception of the M/SL adapter which can be stacked with R/M adapter. The EOS and S adapters don't allow stacking.

Remember these adapters have firmware to allow them to work and they're not set up for recognizing other adapters. The M adapter just reads codes.

Gordon

You can use a "medium format" to EF and EF to SL adapter. But you will need a "stupid" EF to SL adapter, as the "intelligent" Novoflex AF adapter will not work properly (it will not display anything on the EVF during lifeview, but it will take a picture when the shutter is pressed).

So this is a purely mechanical connection (like using the M adapter). So the medium format lens must provide some sort of aperture control, or the mechanical "medium format" to EF adapter. E.g. fotodiox offers such adapters with a built-in mechanical iris. The problem is just that the iris is not in the optimal position.

There are even shift adapters (medium format to EOS).

Example: Rollei 6000 lens + fotodiox pro adapter (with iris) to EOS + "stupid" EOS to SL adapter + SL

Edited by steppenw0lf

Yes I have also read that the Leica S-Adapter C and H are not compatible with the Leica SL-Adapter S. Which is a shame because Leica could easily address this. 

That would mean people can then use Contax 645 and Hasselblad H lenses on their SL... For most lenses I would say it's a bit of a bull shit to use these medium format lenses on a fullframe camera except for a few:

Contax 645 Planar T* 1:2/80mm

Contax 645 Tele-Apotessar T* 1:4/350

And a handfull of Hasselblad H lenses which I don't really know very well. 

Edited by jip
  • Like 1