Inaccurate Fotodiox M39 to LM adapters

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought a 35-135 Fotodiox M39 to M type 2 adapter ring with coding pits. I decided to pay considerably more for one of these rings (€33.79) rather than the cheap “no-name” ones available on eBay. I did this on the basis that it might be more accurate, particularly on the placement of the coding pits for the 6 bit lens codes. Sadly, this does not appear to be the case. When I mount a Rayqual adapter on the lens in question, a 1960 35mm/f2,8 Summaron, it is immediately recognised as the lens the Rayqual is coded for. When I mount the Fotodiox adapter, coded as 101011 (35/f2.5 Summarit) I sometimes get the “no lens mounted message” and occasionally “no code”. From past experience of lens coding  this nearly always means the coding pits are wrongly machined, either radially misaligned relative to the locking lug recess or too short radially. I suspect it is the latter. The Rayqual adapter is fractionally wider radially and the coding pits a little longer. I am using a Pentel Sharpie for black and Tippex for white, which has worked in the past. 

Have others had problems with Fotodiox adapters?

Below pic of two adapter. The Rayqual is the black one. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I can't be of much help for the specific issue that you're having, but I will say that every inexpensive adapter that I've used (including Fotodiox) has left me with one problem or another. I am only willing to use brands like Novoflex and Voigtlander and I pay the price (100 - 300 USD) because they just work. That being said, I don't need 6-bit coding so I'm less familiar with how well this works across the different brands of adapters. Good luck, I hope you find something that works.

Well, I have a Fotodiox device : an adapter for Contarex lenses to M : it works fine (*), but it has also the coding pits ; I haven't coded them (use it for different lenses) but, just for curios, did compare the pits with the original ones on my Leica lenses, and they look a bit mis-positioned: both in position of the first pit vs. the end of bayonet blade, and also in radial sense (the outer end is nearer to the outer diameter than the original). I have also a Voigtlander LTM adapter with a coding strip that looks perfect and, in defense of Chinese, also a Jin Finance M Mount whose 6 holes for screw-fitting are perfect... 

(*) even if the unique "Contarex oddity" (the coupling with the diaphragm actuator) is solved less brilliantly than in the similar adapter made in Italy by Lolli.

Edited by luigi bertolotti