Another reason I use Caprture One

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When Adobe switched all its Creative Suite programs — Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere, Illustrator and the rest of the gang — over to Creative Cloud, we were worried what a subscription model might mean for prices. Adobe software has always been expensive, but at least it was one upfront cost.

As it turns out, we were right. Another annual price increase for Creative Cloud is happening a month from now, and it represents the latest jump in a nearly 250 per cent price rise for some Creative Cloud plans since it started.

Read more at https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/05/creative-cloud-keeps-getting-more-expensive-in-australia/#ZJsUmUZ4AgXuwj3B.99

At the end of 2016 I used LR license which came as bonus with new M-E. Adobe site was pushing for CC version, but somehow I managed to squeeze standalone version without subscription. It was dead slow to use at very beginning and my computer was bogged down with Creative Cloud services and other Adobe services. I cleaned my PC from all of it and left only LR itself, but still it was no use. So, I switched back to older x64 version of LR, which works.

• 6 months later...

I am getting another annual bill for PS for $120 +??.   They keep jamming more stuff into it,  but I have yet to find anything useful for photographers..   Also do not have 40 hours a week trying to learn all the stuff.  The least they could do is put it somewhere I can find it all at once.   If you learn it and do not use it,  then memory fails.  I only have 1000 GB brain.

Looking for something else.   I can easily afford the 120,  but give me a something useful and I have no idea what that might be. Why rent a mansion when you are happy with a log cabin?  I do know half of what they introduce works only so so.   Like just use the clone stamp stupid.

And that LR catalog BS is just that.  I don`t want to change how I work and then lose stuff which has happened. Do you want to update the catalog?  Why can`t you just remember what I just did?  More BS.   Pictures in folder by date and description, bridge and PS work fine.  Bridge does what LR does, just better.  

Try and properly sharpen a photo in LR.  Can`t.   Move to PS then.  Why not just work there to begin with?   There is no penalty.  ACR is same as LR. There is a nice select all, synchronize function. Can you do frequency separation.  NO   Can you make luminosity masks?  NO.

Luminare is looking good.  Capture One also.   Life too short to screw with Adobe.

I have CS6 on bootable back up drive and do not update the OS on my photo computer and I do not connect it to the internet.   All kinds of issues go away with no connection.   

Edited by tobey bilek

And so it goes in the brave new "digital" world ... It's astonishing (to some, anyway) how we can see history repeat itself, again, and still feed the beast. Essentially, big tech has had no real innovative or interesting "ideas" for decades ... unless they somehow glom a food processor onto your cell phone .... Instead, they monetize (and encourage) the American preoccupation with "feature" and "ease of use" so that so many believe will somehow translate into meaningful output. (This is coming from someone who has been a Computer Scientist since the 1980's lest I come across as a Luddite.)

I've used Capture One for several years and have, apart from the cost of the original investment, had few outstanding "issues." I use Affinity for healing and spot removal rather than PS because ... well it's a lot less expensive and, until recently, was clear of feature-bloat. At the end of the day, I find myself using more film in my workflow with better aesthetics and no "technical problems" (older film M bodies just keep on working)... . Fortunately, I do NOT have to meet the deadline and publication requirements of my "modern" peers as I don't depend upon selling images for a lion share of my income.

I feel (and fear) for the current generation who is the main prey item for so-called "high" tech companies. 

Edited by Tom R
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, we invented "trees" so I guess we're kinda happy there.

You did. And now they've grown into something else. I used to visit Doug Engelbart at his home and a little office across the bay that Logitech gave him. There was a man with a vision. This is a topic in itself, but I agree with you entirely about the directions tech has taken, and about the lack of fundamental innovation under the feature driven frenetic upgrade cycle.

Edited by m0n0

I changed to Capture One Pro since the leasesystem of Adobe. No regrets!

May be I like DxO even more. Now they have acquired the Nik filters, I might change to DxO.

Regretfully, at this moment the M10 is not supported yet. They informed me however that this is on their to do list.

• 1 month later...

You did. And now they've grown into something else. I used to visit Doug Engelbart at his home and a little office across the bay that Logitech gave him. There was a man with a vision. This is a topic in itself, but I agree with you entirely about the directions tech has taken, and about the lack of fundamental innovation under the feature driven frenetic upgrade cycle.

Logitech gave Dave Engelbart a whole bay??  Well rewarded, he was. ;)

• Like 1

Logitech gave Dave Engelbart a whole bay?? Well rewarded, he was. ;)

Well it was just a medium sized bay and they could afford it! Back then PC's ruled and the mouse business was roaring ;)

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well it was just a medium sized bay and they could afford it! Back then PC's ruled and the mouse business was roaring ;)

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

Ah, the roaring noughties!  Who doesn't reminisce about the days of dial-up modems and AOL.  I used to work in a computer department, we had more mice than an orphanage and more CRT monitors than Big Brother.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We keep on talking about Big Tech and their nasty habits. 

In fact it is - let's say - Big Wallet. In the sense 'they' want to sent big invoices to increase their share of my wallet.

OK, OK, I myself worked as a consultant doing just that for 'them'. Finding more and better ways to squeeze out more juice, create life-time value. That increases the share value. So I'm guilty  B)

Anyway, I support this issue, have LR6 and I am annoyed I read that Adobe will not bring out a software version of LR7. 

• Like 1

... we were worried what a subscription model might mean for prices.

I am not.

Adobe software has always been expensive, but at least it was one upfront cost.

I am paying EUR 142.68 per year (EUR 11.89 per month) for Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Bridge, and Camera Raw. Last year, I was paying the same for less.

Before Creative Cloud, I was paying approx. EUR 240 every 1.5 years—that's EUR 160 per year—for just Photoshop, Bridge, and Camera Raw. So CC now is cheaper than CS used to be, and it just keeps getting better every year. So my bang for the buck now is better than ever before.

By the way, I never touched any 'cloud'–Creative Cloud is just a name (and a stupid name if you ask me). Despite the name, it has nothing to do with Cloud. You can use Cloud services if you want to, but you don't have to.

On the other hand, there's a damn good reason to avoid Capture One: If you ever plan to acquire a digital medium-format camera then it better be a Phase One. Because every other brand's raw image format files won't be supported by Capture One. You want Leica S? Pentax 645Z? Fujifilm GFX? Hasselblad X1D? Forget Capture One, then.