Looking for a new M

Hello Andrea,

Welcome to the Forum.

In most sets of circumstances most of the M film cameras are pretty much interchangeable in terms of their usability. They are also pretty much all built to the same levels of quality. 

Please keep in mind that the answers you receive will, for the most part, reflect degrees of difference. Not levels of difference.

Even though the perspective of various writers might not appear to reflect that.

The basic differences between the various M film models (Including the M5.) are:

Metered as opposed to meterless.

Angle of coverage of widest angled lens covered in the range/viewfinder window.

Beyond that the variations become more minimal, such as:

Ease of loading & rewind mechanism.

What type of photos do you think that you might like to use the camera for? Also: What angles of coverage do you prefer for your lenses?

These are questions that might be helpful in determining which model is the best 1 for you.

Please keep in mind that in many situations: A meterless M with a handheld meter makes all of the M cameras pretty much the same.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I'm sorry but I should have told you that I'm not new in the Leica world :)

I've used for years an M6 and now I'm happy with my 262.

I wanted to use film, again, and I was oriented on the M3 because of its magnification.

I was also considering to use an external meter or a smartphone app to help my readings (I'm still not perfectly confident with light).

But, today, I've seen a good offer for an Mp with 0.85 finder.. But its really expensive and I'm not sure if its worth the money.

I intend to use only the 50 and the 90, BUT, If I use a 28, is it so bad? The coverage of the finder cuts a lot of the frame with a 28?

With 50 and 90mm and using a handheld meter the M3 is the best solution you can get. Of course its big magnification which does not allow 35mm rules out 28mm. You do not get a proper idea of the field of view if you just use the camera's viewfinder. But there are viewfinders for the hotshow which are good - a new one perhaps more expensive than the whole M3. 

Vou can get an M6 or an MP ("á la carte") with a 0.85 magnification for the viewfinder - then you could "guess" the FOV for 28mm by the camera's finder - no frames, but just the outward limits of the finder. Though this is not comfortable, I'd prefer the additional viewfinder. 

Edited by UliWer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Andrea,

Hand held meters are really quite easy to use & to understand.

Using a hand held meter does not have to be much different than the meter that you used in your M6.

There are nice 1's that will do what your M6 meter would do that are the size of a pack of regular cigarettes. They will also do different types of readings that are, in some instances, easier & faster than the meter in an M6.

I am actually not that far from you. If you would like to discuss meters & metering over coffee some day, PM me & we can talk.

Best Regards,

Michael

Actually the smartphone apps do a pretty good job. I don't think you really need a light meter. However, If you can find a good example of the Leica/Metrawatt ones, that is the nicest solution.

Voigtlander has a rather nice small one that fits into the flash shoe.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/355974-REG/Voigtlander_45AD104B_VC_Speed_Meter_II.html

I'm sorry but I should have told you that I'm not new in the Leica world :)

I've used for years an M6 and now I'm happy with my 262.

I wanted to use film, again, and I was oriented on the M3 because of its magnification.

I was also considering to use an external meter or a smartphone app to help my readings (I'm still not perfectly confident with light).

But, today, I've seen a good offer for an Mp with 0.85 finder.. But its really expensive and I'm not sure if its worth the money.

I intend to use only the 50 and the 90, BUT, If I use a 28, is it so bad? The coverage of the finder cuts a lot of the frame with a 28?

Welcome.

For many years I used 50mm, 90mm and 28mm lenses with my M3. The sequence reflects relative usage. When using the 28mm, I used an auxiliary finder and tried to remember to compensate for parallax, The optical finder was perfect for the 50 and 90mm lenses.