Just Q and Fuji X100F enough for Iceland?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm going with a bunch of friends later this year to Iceland , I started another thread that should I sell the Q, but now I'm exploring a completely opposite direction and just thinking to have fun with it and see if I enjoy using it fully.

Since I'm going with friends , do you guys think it's possible or doable for an Iceland trip to ditch the bigger gear , the lens changing and go with the two superb fixed lens cameras ? I'd crop and stitch for those longer or wider shots. Will still take a small tripod for the Northern Lights if we are lucky to see it.

Look forward for advice! Thank you

I'm sorry I have to say that but if you have to ask other people what you should do, please sell the Q, don't buy the X100F an take the "big gear" so that you are prepared to take every picture that is possible.

The Q is not made for that kind of photography and you will hate the camera. Believe me.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@etk, no the Q can handle probably handle most situations but since it's very photogenic destination I didn't want to risk something happen to one camera, especially it rains often and also we will be visiting a few waterfalls. 

My original question about the gear is more to do with the tele side of things vs the enjoyment with friends of not having to carry bigger camera and lens.

Edited by reddot925

@etk, no the Q can handle probably handle most situations but since it's very photogenic destination I didn't want to risk something happen to one camera, especially it rains often and also we will be visiting a few waterfalls.

My original question about the gear is more to do with the tele side of things vs the enjoyment with friends of not having to carry bigger camera and lens.

I'm currently in Edinburgh Airport departure lounge, returning home from running a photography workshop in the Faroe Islands during the past week. Somewhat south of Iceland, but similar in many ways.

My thoughts on your camera choices:

The X100F is a more versatile option that a Leica Q, especially if you also take the WCL-X100 and WTL-X100 converters to retain the full 24mp res of the X100F. It's all you would need for most situations except wider or longer. My workshop camera this time was a Fuji X-T2 with 14, 23, 35 and 56mm lenses and my most used lens was the 23mm. If you are seriously concerned about taking only one camera I would forget the Leica and add either a second X100F or something like an X-70 if you can find one.

The X100F is my favourite of the all Fuji X series. I would go so far as to say I think it is one of the best digital cameras around for general travel, landscape and documentary photography. Nothing would ever persuade me that a heavy FX dslr is a better option unless there are specific objectives such as video, macro or wildlife photography.

Travel light, take the X100F and converters and add a 2nd X100 for back-up if you really feel you need to. Enjoy Iceland, I have a workshop planned there in 2018!

Edited by honcho
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a member of this forum (I apologize for not knowing his name) who resides in Iceland and has posted lots of absolutely brilliant pictures of Iceland landscapes taken with his Q.  I suggest going to the Q images folders and scrolling through them.  You'll find them pretty quickly.   Sometimes people get so hung up on equipment, they forget to just take pictures.

There is a member of this forum (I apologize for not knowing his name) who resides in Iceland and has posted lots of absolutely brilliant pictures of Iceland landscapes taken with his Q.  I suggest going to the Q images folders and scrolling through them.  You'll find them pretty quickly.   Sometimes people get so hung up on equipment, they forget to just take pictures.

His member name is Adalsteinn H   Lots of beautiful shots in the Q images taken with his Q

There was a similar question asked in the Lenses forum just recently: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/259074-advice-on-iceland/ 

I'm posting it here because you might find the discussion about focal lengths for Iceland useful. My personal opinion is that 28mm is great for Iceland and it's what I used most on my own trip there last year. You should bring a tripod if you can — you'll want to do long exposures even if that's not normally your thing (I know I certainly did!) — and it's a must if you get lucky with aurora sightings, although it's likely a bit late in the year for that. 

• Like 1

The X100F is my favourite of the all Fuji X series. I would go so far as to say I think it is one of the best digital cameras around for general travel, landscape and documentary photography...

Are you in a position to compare the F to the original X100?

I wanted to like that camera so much, but I found it horribly glitchy and with not so great file quality. I liked the viewfinder, form factor and lens (despite internet chatter saying it's soft). If it all works well now I'd probably give it another go.

Are you in a position to compare the F to the original X100?

I wanted to like that camera so much, but I found it horribly glitchy and with not so great file quality. I liked the viewfinder, form factor and lens (despite internet chatter saying it's soft). If it all works well now I'd probably give it another go.

I passed on the original X100 but I liked the X100T very much.  I originally bought it as a travel camera for personal use but was so impressed with it that I used it increasingly more often at weddings to the point where I eventually offloaded all my Nikon D4's & D750 wedding cameras and lenses for Fuji X-T2's, primes and an X100F.

The X100F is a worthwhile upgrade from the X100T for the improved af,  increased resolution and the film simulations imo.  As I said above, I think the X100F is one of the best digital cameras around, especially for street and travel and the converters add versatility that a Leica Q cannot match.  If I had to choose from a Leica Q or a Fuji X100F, it would be the Fuji and a good holiday.  Pixel-peepers would disagree, but to hell with them!

• Like 2

You should bring a tripod if you can — you'll want to do long exposures even if that's not normally your thing (I know I certainly did!) — and it's a must if you get lucky with aurora sightings, although it's likely a bit late in the year for that.

Yes, a tripod is a must with a ND filter for those waterfalls.

As I said above, I think the X100F is one of the best digital cameras around, especially for street and travel and the converters add versatility that a Leica Q cannot match.  If I had to choose from a Leica Q or a Fuji X100F, it would be the Fuji and a good holiday.  Pixel-peepers would disagree, but to hell with them!

I hope you're right  :unsure:

I've just traded my Leica Q in and ordered the Fuji X100F. I already have the X-T2 with a couple of primes and a couple of WR zooms. My reasons are varied, I travel by motorcycle extensively and the Q was a little too large for the tank bag.  I too previously had the X100S and then the X100T which I should never have got rid of. If I'm really honest then I have more fun using the Fuji, and I have better and more 'hits' with it, so the 'cash back' difference will do nicely towards doing the Trans America Trail next year  :)

On another note, I'm dismayed at the number of problems that appear to plague the Leica Q, albeit I bought mine December 2015 and not had one problem with it. I virtually got my money back, I don't expect that with a Fuji but then with an X100F and an X-T2 in the stable any available money from now on will be spent on travel ....

"So Many Roads ... So Little Time"

Edit .... looked at your sites Honcho, pretty damned fine photography there. 

Edited by MickyW
  • Like 1

I'm sorry I have to say that but if you have to ask other people what you should do, please sell the Q, don't buy the X100F an take the "big gear" so that you are prepared to take every picture that is possible.

The Q is not made for that kind of photography and you will hate the camera. Believe me.

Good luck.

I cannot do anything else than totally agree. I mean, Iceland: how expensive is that trip, how often will you do that, how dearly do you want a print on the wall from that landscape and how large would you want to print that and how long will Iceland be still crispy and pure with the accelaration of global warming that's going on right now, and now you want to cut on gear?! Did you realize all these things before even contemplating this? Why would you in the first place want to go light, are you gonna raft? There are other countries much more appropriate for that.

(To be honest: my basic assumption is that I find the Q much too expensive, I can find glorious M-lenses for that price, with a secondhand Summicron28asph mk1 on a secondhand M9-P I would feel better off)

Edited by otto.f

Is it a photo trip to Iceland, or is it a beer and pizza trip to Reykjavik, a visit to rural farms and fisheries or what?

Anyhow, I think it comes down to the kind of images you intend to make. The Icelander Ragnar Axelson, "rax", is one of my favorites among photographers with a mission. I have been to a couple of his presentations. His images do not make me think "tele", though he inspires the black and white part of my brain (as does Sebastião Salgado who I believe also has a mission).  The rax web site is  here: http://www.rax.is/ and you can see him and his Leica here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kbx2gHXxbs You will find some images by Salgado here: https://www.artsy.net/artist/sebastiao-salgado and one of the better discussions about his camera(s) and lenses here: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2013/09/a-thought-about-salgado.html Look at the images and think focal length in terms of "tele or not".

Iceland is nice in so many ways, you will enjoy your stay there with or without all your favorite gear.

• Like 1

I hope you're right  :unsure:

I've just traded my Leica Q in and ordered the Fuji X100F. I already have the X-T2 with a couple of primes and a couple of WR zooms. My reasons are varied, I travel by motorcycle extensively and the Q was a little too large for the tank bag.  I too previously had the X100S and then the X100T which I should never have got rid of. If I'm really honest then I have more fun using the Fuji, and I have better and more 'hits' with it, so the 'cash back' difference will do nicely towards doing the Trans America Trail next year  :)

On another note, I'm dismayed at the number of problems that appear to plague the Leica Q, albeit I bought mine December 2015 and not had one problem with it. I virtually got my money back, I don't expect that with a Fuji but then with an X100F and an X-T2 in the stable any available money from now on will be spent on travel ....

"So Many Roads ... So Little Time"

Edit .... looked at your sites Honcho, pretty damned fine photography there.

Sounds like a great, classic road trip you have planned and you will see many varied landscapes and encounter many varied people along the way. I think taking the X-T2 and X100F is a good plan, the processing, same battery and near identical interfaces will make alternating between them fairly seamless. You could have a lot of fun deciding which combinations of lenses to take and your intinerary got me thinking about what I might take. The X-T2 with 14, 35 and 56mm primes and the X100F with the WCL-100 would do fine for me as I don't use zoom lenses at all, or telephoto lenses above 85mm full frame equivalent.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments about having cameras you can trust and the X100F being a fun camera to use and completely trustworthy in my experience.

Thank you for your kind comments about my photography, I hope you have a great journey.

I mean, Iceland: how expensive is that trip, how often will you do that...Why would you in the first place want to go light...There are other countries much more appropriate for that

Maybe s/he realises that there's no correlation between a mountain of gear and serious photographic intent.

• Like 2