Leica R3 Lenses

Star-Lord

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there!

I recently bought a Leica R3 and am now in the market for a lens. The thing is, I only have money to buy one but I don't know which one.. 

The contestant are the following:

-Leica R 2/50mm Summicron-R

-Leica R 3,5-4,5 /28-70mm Vario-Elmar-R 

-Leica R 3,5/35-70mm Vario-Elmar-R E60 3 CAM

Thank you!

It depends on what you are shooting which one you should choose. Personally, I'd go for the Summicron. The R3 requires the 3rd cam for metering, so if you get version 1, make sure it has the 3rd cam. If you get version 2, don't get the ROM, get the 3 cams or 3rd cam. I much preferred version 2 when I had an R3, it was a wonderful lens.

• Like 1

Either of these would be a bargain:

http://www.ffordes.com/product/17050309093581

The zoom is versatile and the loose hood probably would not affect performance / ergonomics … but ask the dealer how loose it is.

The 60mm macro looks a little scarred but it's built like  tank and the optics are superb. The macro facility will enable easy close up photography and also be a good standard lens … and it's not too short a focal length for use as a portrait lens too. Within its aperture range the 60mm macro out-performs the 50mm Summicron. The f2.8 max aperture is slower than the Summicron but it is very usable at full aperture and faster than the zoom. 

dunk
Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Hi there!

I recently bought a Leica R3 and am now in the market for a lens. The thing is, I only have money to buy one but I don't know which one.. 

The contestant are the following:

-Leica R 2/50mm Summicron-R

-Leica R 3,5-4,5 /28-70mm Vario-Elmar-R 

-Leica R 3,5/35-70mm Vario-Elmar-R E60 3 CAM

Thank you!

Out of those choices I would pick the 50 f2 Summicron - a superb classic Leica lens.

However the others are good options too and great 'walkabout' lenses for travel. The 28-70 is considered the poor relation of the R family but then people who have the lens say it's fine, unless you're printing very large and being very critical you probably won't notice much difference between the zooms. The 28-70 is a Sigma design and the 35-70 is Minolta.

Whichever lens you choose it must be a 3 cam or 'R' only lens to work properly on the R3.

You can also use Tamron Adaptall lenses on the R3 with the Tamron R adaptor. They come up on ebay from time to time and some of the Tamron lenses are fine performers.

I would also suggest you check the shutter and metering on your R3 and make sure it works properly in auto and manual modes. My first R3 developed a fault where the shutter 'works' but doesn't expose the film when on 1/500 or 1/1000 - you can check this by looking at the shutter from the back of the camera holding it up to the light. You'll need a lens to check the rest.

• Like 1

It depends on what you are shooting which one you should choose. Personally, I'd go for the Summicron. The R3 requires the 3rd cam for metering, so if you get version 1, make sure it has the 3rd cam. If you get version 2, don't get the ROM, get the 3 cams or 3rd cam. I much preferred version 2 when I had an R3, it was a wonderful lens.

Certainly you don't need the ROM chip for the R3, but a ROM lens will work perfectly well, since it also come with the 3rd cam. There might be a case for getting a ROM lens if you ever intended to use it optimally on an R8 or R9, or even on a digital SL via the Leica adapter (though a 3rd cam or 3 cam lens will also work on these). ROM lenses tend to be more expensive, but some people like the reassurance that they are, by definition, newer.  Conversely, if you envisage ever also using it on a film Leicaflex, SL or SL2 you should get a 3 cam lens and definitely not a 3rd cam only or a ROM one.

Edited by masjah
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your answers! They helped me a lot!

With what you said in mind, i went looking for a lens and found this one: Leica R2/50mm Summicron R 3CAM

Price: 450€

What do you think? is it a good price?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Why not buy from the Classifieds, or the dealers that support/sponsor this forum, first one I can think of is Red Dot Cameras, but likely there are others. Red Dot are in the side-bar to the main page.

As an aside I have the same 50 Summicron R lens, the first version, it is very nice. Mine is 2-Cam though, so not suited to your R3.

Gary

Thank you all for your answers! They helped me a lot!

With what you said in mind, i went looking for a lens and found this one: Leica R2/50mm Summicron R 3CAM

Price: 450€

What do you think? is it a good price?

Before buying any other R lenses you might consider acquiring the 'LEICA POCKET BOOK 8th EDITION' (published 2012) which documents nearly all the R lenses produced and shows the differences between those of the same focal lengths. You could buy the Mk I 50/2 S'cron R lens elsewhere for much less €€ … but it's still a good lens. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I have the first version. The lens hood is complicated to use for me (arthritis). The version II has a built-in lens hood.

From the optical data (MTF data) the 2 versions don´t differ very much. Interesting is, that the newer version has less glass elements.

But you should take in account the year of the production. The first version was in production up to 1976.

That means, that these lenses are at least 40 years old! 

See Leica Wiki (engl).

Jan

From that selection I'd probably buy the first one, but I prefer to buy used lenses in person to examine them first or at least from someone I trust to give me an accurate description and take it back if I'm not happy.

How about C at 350€?