Will I regret selling my Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sold my Q about 8 months ago because I couldn't justify the cost for a "compact". I bought an X100F and was disappointed with the AF performance and missed the 28mm focal length and the rendering of the Q. The X100F is a great camera for sure but I just couldn't gel with it.

Found a good deal on a used titanium Q so ordered that yesterday so I guess I can justify the cost after all :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The X100F is a great camera for sure but I just couldn't gel with it.

Mmmmm I'm t'other way ... gelled with the X100F straight away, love it to bits. I enjoy using it and have been getting some great results.

Two week motorcycle tour in the Pyrenees and the X100F has been the perfect travel companion for me  :)

I haven't regretted selling the Q as yet!

• Like 2

Don't sell it - you will probably regret it.

I sold mine in favor of an Olympus E1 Mark II that has a lot more facilities. It's a great camera and I am keeping it BUT I really missed that Leica look/IQ and ever so simple menu - and only carrying one camera rather than a camera + 3 lenses.

I have just bought another q -for my street photography - we live and learn.

If you sell it to somebody, they will find it either big, or small, or limiting, and will sell it again, because that is what people do when they go and buy to sell. Like that, camera will never be used, only change many hands and postal addresses.

Don't sell it — treat it like an unwanted puppy, and give it to me, because my family would love to give it home. 

I will never sell it, but use every day, and will send you an album of photographs and a cake twice a year. 
Edited by Apoqualia
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I posted earlier about trying the X100F alongside the Q.  Since then I have sold the X100F and kept the Q and don't regret it for an instant.  The only thing I preferred about the X100F was the smaller form factor (and the cost of course ;).  If anything my appreciation of the Q has grown over time.  I have used too many cameras and lenses to count but am finally slowing down.  I sold all my Sony gear and have a M10 on the way, and I plan to keep my Q as my main camera in the 28mm focal length, and use the M10 with my 50 Summilux and maybe a very wide angle like a 21mm Super Elmar and be done with it.  As I have been selling off some of my gear I am finding that the fewer options I have, the happier I am.  Funny how that works!  (Full disclosure - I am also using a Fuji GFX-50S when I don't need to travel light and am shooting landscapes and such, but even there, I just sold some of my GFX gear and don't miss it).

Edited by pmendelson
  • Like 2

As I have been selling off some of my gear I am finding that the fewer options I have, the happier I am.  Funny how that works! 

Same for me, just sold a nikon D600 and 5 gorgeous primes with it... still have my D800 I love and will keep for special like birdwatch, extreme macro, 15mm takes... and a 24/70 zoom f/2.8 zoom for some issues... but this gear is becoming too heavy for my back... 

So:

Q for everyday... and have a M10 on the way with the 50mm summilux...

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same for me, just sold a nikon D600 and 5 gorgeous primes with it... still have my D800 I love and will keep for special like birdwatch, extreme macro, 15mm takes... and a 24/70 zoom f/2.8 zoom for some issues... but this gear is becoming too heavy for my back... 

So:

Q for everyday... and have a M10 on the way with the 50mm summilux...

I think I was the OP. I have my Q and finally got an M10. I was using a MM1 a lot, but am so impressed with M10 have sold the MM1 and a 50 Cron and purchased a 50 Summilux. So about to go on a trip with Q and M10/50Lux and see what happens.

I think for most of us, photography is a hobby. Some fix old cars, some take cruises, some collect stamps.

And our enjoyment of the hobby varies. Some shoot birds, some do the street thing, others take snaps of their travel.

There's no perfect camera, and there's no perfect photographer. Everyone comes at it differently.

Some folk buy and sell cameras, or just like having a collection. Others want the best possible for their desires because they don't want to have more than one or two.

Will one regret selling a Leica Q? There's no possible answer but Yes. It's a very good camera for some things, there's not a lot of competition for the niche, and if one sells it, one no longer has it at those times when it could be handy. Of course one will regret the lack at that time.

Perhaps the question should really be, is regret an emotion worth entertaining? And that leads to a discussion on what makes us happy or not.

If the Q - or any other camera - just gathers dust on the shelf, then sell it. If it doesn't add to one's happiness, then what's the point?

36085626932_6c5abf7706_b.jpg

• Like 5

I think I was the OP. I have my Q and finally got an M10. I was using a MM1 a lot, but am so impressed with M10 have sold the MM1 and a 50 Cron and purchased a 50 Summilux. So about to go on a trip with Q and M10/50Lux and see what happens.

Please send me a message when you publish your impressions on the Q and M10 during your trip, I am interested as I will be in the same position in september: I go to the Feroe Islands and am not yet decided in what I take!

Have a nice trip

Will do, have arrived in the rain in Spain, not falling mainly on the plain.

Raining? North Spain then... rain gives fantastic photo oportunities... we would enjoy some here in my south Peninsula (Algarve/Andalucia).

the question is, why so many people sell the Q? Ebay is full of it...

For me, the answer was simple. I can't "live" at 28mm. So I sold my Q (no regrets). That said, if there were a 35mm Q (or even a 40mm or 50mm), I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

And, no, I had no interest in owning a 28mm fixed-lens camera, so I could always crop to 35mm or 50mm.

YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...

Please send me a message when you publish your impressions on the Q and M10 during your trip, I am interested as I will be in the same position in september: I go to the Feroe Islands and am not yet decided in what I take!

Have a nice trip

Bilbao was wet and brief and even good photography could not redeem it. We drove over the hills to the Rioja region and literally as you drive through a pass it goes from horrible to lovely, especially as first stop was Frank Gehry's hotel at Marques de Risqual. Then on to Salamanca, Caceres, Seville, Toledo and Madrid and a few points in-between. 

Long story short, I used the M10 and Q about 50/50, depending on time available and what we were doing. The Q remains a superb everyday camera. 

That said, I was in Berlin last weekend and just took the M10 and 35/f2 and a spare battery, which suits me fine.

Having bought the M10, I've bought three lenses, a s/h APO 135 that gives stunning architectural detail shots hand-held at slow speeds, a Voightlander 15mm Mk 111 that is spectacularly sharp and free of aberration, and the 5.6 Summaron the other day, not been out with it properly yet. As the M10 is my first Leica with Live View, I got the digital viewfinder which makes the 15 and 135 lenses a joy to use. I also borrowed a 50 Lux having sold my 50 Cron and waiting for a black 50 Lux to come in. Thanks to the M10, have sold my MM9, a s/h a7r and a couple of lenses to pay for most of this changing.

Even after all that, still keeping the Q.

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

Bilbao was wet and brief and even good photography could not redeem it. We drove over the hills to the Rioja region and literally as you drive through a pass it goes from horrible to lovely, especially as first stop was Frank Gehry's hotel at Marques de Risqual. Then on to Salamanca, Caceres, Seville, Toledo and Madrid and a few points in-between. 

Long story short, I used the M10 and Q about 50/50, depending on time available and what we were doing. The Q remains a superb everyday camera. 

Even after all that, still keeping the Q.

Thanks for all this, it is very useful to have such impressions and conclusions.

I will take to the Faroe the Q, the M10 with a 50summilux and a 90 I dont know which a friend will lend me. The D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 15mm zeiss and 300 f/4 nikor. Better take too much than too little and regret...

Thanks for all this, it is very useful to have such impressions and conclusions.

I will take to the Faroe the Q, the M10 with a 50summilux and a 90 I dont know which a friend will lend me. The D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 15mm zeiss and 300 f/4 nikor. Better take too much than too little and regret...

I think you need a little helper for that lot. I've googled Faroe Islands and just added it to my list of places to go in my dreams. I met a chap in Iceland hauling a D800 and big tripod up the side of a steep hill and it was clearly bad for his heath. Just whip out the Q and you're done. I got a lightweight 3-legged-thing tripod and hang my backpack off the centre hook to keep it still.  

I'm trying to do everything on the M10. The Voightlander 15 Mk3 is brilliant and I have a 180 APO Telyt-R that has magnificent optics and is lightweight. For about €350 you can double it up to 360 with the APO 2x extender (plus the M-R adapter, which has a tripod mount).

I didn't take a 90 as my son took my 90 Tele-Elmarit to Norway. It's perfect, cleaned and coded and I love it. Apparently I'm not getting it back. 

Edited by sls

I think you need a little helper for that lot. I've googled Faroe Islands and just added it to my list of places to go in my dreams. I met a chap in Iceland hauling a D800 and big tripod up the side of a steep hill and it was clearly bad for his heath. Just whip out the Q and you're done. I got a lightweight 3-legged-thing tripod and hang my backpack off the centre hook to keep it still.  

I'm trying to do everything on the M10. The Voightlander 15 Mk3 is brilliant and I have a 180 APO Telyt-R that has magnificent optics and is lightweight. For about €350 you can double it up to 360 with the APO 2x extender (plus the M-R adapter, which has a tripod mount).

I didn't take a 90 as my son took my 90 Tele-Elmarit to Norway. It's perfect, cleaned and coded and I love it. Apparently I'm not getting it back.

Well, I have help: we are a group of half a dozen photographers and will have a car, the organizer does this every year and told me that the only problem was what we could take in the plane's cabin, otherwise we would never have to ealk too much and youngers can help me carry... if needed!

The point is... if I dont take the nikon I am afraid I might regret, I am very used to it...

I see that you do not belong to the one-camera-one-lens school of thought.... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Well, I have help: we are a group of half a dozen photographers and will have a car, the organizer does this every year and told me that the only problem was what we could take in the plane's cabin, otherwise we would never have to ealk too much and youngers can help me carry... if needed!

The point is... if I dont take the nikon I am afraid I might regret, I am very used to it...

In that case, take as much as they let you take on the plane ...

Enjoy

I see that you do not belong to the one-camera-one-lens school of thought.... :rolleyes:

Not really because I have lots of diferent interests... nature most of all, wabi-sabi...

But ifI had to I'd choose a 50mm, my "first love"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel_lucena/with/35906982243/

Edited by Lucena