Will I regret selling my Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let me start by saying I've owned most fixed and zoom big sensor non interchangeable lens camera, Q, Sony RX series, Fuji X100 series, Ricoh, Nikon, D-Lux, etc.      

If I had to choose one it would be the Leica Q because of the fast focus, fast lens, big sensor, excellent high ISOs.

BUT, as always no camera is perfect, I don't really like the Q's white balance, no autofocus mode that I like (center point at the same time with face detect), and relatively big for the social night out.

All three of these complaints are now solved by Fuji X100F for casual night out and the M10 for those serious night shoots.

With Leica Q being so great but still have issues, will I regret selling it?    I realize this is highly personal but I'd like to hear your thoughts.   Perhaps I can sell for now when the resale price is still good and come back when new Q is released?

Edited by reddot925

How can anybody know if you will regret selling it if yourself can't figure this out?

The Q is by far the best camera I ever owned, it's not perfect - no camera is - but it ticks a hell lot of cases.

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 2

Blimey ... bang on Q  :rolleyes:

I have the Fuji X-T2 with some crackin' lenses, and I love using it.

I have the Leica Q and love using it.

Had superb results from both ... had the Fuji X100T and X100S before ...

BUT photography is second to my first passion, motorcycling. Ridden through most of Europe, Norway, Nord Kapp, North Africa, Russia, Siberia, Mongolia, Gobi Desert, returning via all the Stans. Another trip through Europe, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan and the Karakoram Highway. I've not finished yet, maybe South America next, even at seventy year old :)

Looking at the Fuji X100F for my travels ... the Leica Q is too big, too much cameras, just too much!! It might have to go  :unsure:

I don't take RAW, I don't have the time or the inclination, or the eyes, to be so fussy ... I just want a reportage camera for my travels ...

I just want a reportage camera for my travels that will fit in a tank bag ... I want the best, and that thar X100F looks like it will fit the bill nicely ...

I'm also concerned about the number of faults and problems that seem to surround the Q, albeit I've had mine since December 2015 and not had one problem with it. T'is a thing of beauty for sure  .... however it might be time for me to move on methinks!

Edited by MickyW

Let me start by saying I've owned most fixed and zoom big sensor non interchangeable lens camera, Q, Sony RX series, Fuji X100 series, Ricoh, Nikon, D-Lux, etc.      

If I had to choose one it would be the Leica Q because of the fast focus, fast lens, big sensor, excellent high ISOs.

BUT, as always no camera is perfect, I don't really like the Q's white balance, no autofocus mode that I like (center point at the same time with face detect), and relatively big for the social night out.

All three of these complaints are now solved by Fuji X100F for casual night out and the M10 for those serious night shoots.

With Leica Q being so great but still have issues, will I regret selling it?    I realize this is highly personal but I'd like to hear your thoughts.   Perhaps I can sell for now when the resale price is still good and come back when new Q is released?

Don't sell it! I have the Q and an M-P 240. Very different cameras. Q is a wonderful machine. Light, class-leading full frame image quality and autofocus. I miss the Q's close focus abilities in my M. Finally, the build quality is unparalleled. It's a joy just to use. If you afford it, keep it. Get a GRII or an X70 for parties etc....

I didn't regret selling the Q, but my dislike was of its focal length, not its white balance, size, etc. I also didn't regret selling my Fuji x100t, but that had to do with myriad dislikes, one not being focal length.

I have no problem with the focal length, I think 28mm is a good decision for Leica, 35mm and 50mm are sufficiently served by the M, plus 28mm makes a great travel and family focal length which works well for those times when you don't want to spend time manual focusing. 

Yes……I believe you will regret selling the Q.

I got mine soon after they came available and almost immediately there were enough things about the camera that bought me close to selling or trading it, but then there were some meaningful firmware upgrades, ( Leica appeared to "listen" to some of our gripes and suggestions and did a lot to address what we the users didn't initially like about the Q ), and despite never really liking the EVF or any EVF's come to that, the camera slowly "grew" on me. It's still the camera I grab to go with when not working a job, but at times too I've taken it on paying assignments and had no cause to regret that either. It has extremely useful and solid features, many will be mentioned in this thread and anyway I'm sure you're aware of them yourself otherwise you'd not post this question.

Use an iPhone or whatever for casual social snapshots like the rest of the world seems to do and carry the Q for something a bit more serious.

If were you I'd keep it, I'm going to keep mine that's for sure…….

Edited by Guest

Hard to say if you'd regret selling the Q. I've bought and sold many cameras over many years. I learned that knowing exactly why I wanted to move away from a camera is very important. I sold my Fuji X100's because of slow focusing on the original and image quality on the X100T. Although I took some excellent photos with every model, moving to the Q was a definite improvement in focusing speed and IQ. Also just the joy of using the camera. I find the biggest limitation I have is between my ears. I love learning a cameras strengths and weaknesses then working to take photos knowing those characteristics. The Q is not as compact as the Fuji X100's, but it is a real high quality, full frame camera with a superb and fast lens. Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

@OP - Are you trying to convince yourself or justify your decision?Liking or disliking a camera is a very personal thing and by asking that sort of question here you will probably end up more confused.

Every camera has its faults no matter what the brand. I fail to understand why on earth would you want to take a camera on a night out? Just use your phone. The pic quality on most modern touch phones is really good.

In my opinion, when chosing any camera ask yourself these questions: Is it for amateur work? If the answer is yes then how many of those pictures I take will I print and display in my house or office(or display electronically)? The answer to that will provide the right guidance as to what you buy. I had two friends who were (and still are) mad about photography and all they talked about was cameras and pictures taken. When I went in their houses guess how many pictures i saw hanging on their walls? NONE.

PS: FWIW the Q satisfies all my needs although I do hate the crappy battery life. It is appalling.

Edited by likealot

if you have M10, sell the Fuji and use your iPhone for casual pictures

I've tried many times to find a smaller alternative to a Leica M, and always dumped the alternative after a short period. In my case I'm still with the M240, but the best smaller option is my smartphone.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I think the biggest confusion is when I say social or dinner events, I don't mean all or normal outings, I mean special occasions like birthdays, etc.    I do not carry cameras on normal outings, hardly take pictures on those nights or just use the phone if need be.

Regardless, I've decided to keep the Q for at least a few more months more and see if I reach for it, as I mentioned it seems to be stuck in the middle between the M10 for photo days and X100F for something more portable.   But I do love image quality from the Q (just not the color and few other nitpicks above),  so will try to use it more and see.

Thanks again!

I sold my Q about 9 months ago and haven't looked back.  After using the Q for a year I felt that the 28mm lens was too restrictive and I missed having a tilting rear screen.  I considered keeping the Q and getting a second camera but I do not want to drag around two cameras when I go on vacation.  I am now using a Fuji X-T2 with 23mm and 50 mm prime lenses.

• Like 1

regardeless which camera you are searching for, you won't find a perfect one serving all your purposes.

The experience I have made with my 3 cameras is, that the Q serves most needs best:

The lens quality is unbeatable, no other brand can create this look. But this is a personal reason why people buy Leica.

1. the focal length can cover landscape, street, travel, and even macro.

2. The sensor is capable of taking high contrasts and low light situations very well.

3. it is fast, AF ist fast, longtime exposures possible

4. one can take videos if one knows how to handle it best and if you do not expect a professional videographer's equipment here.

5. the SF 40 is a great tool

6. works with filters like polarizer and graded types as well.

7. The lens is superb and no match to other brands

what else do you want for a reportage or travel camera?

The one and only question is whether you can and want to manage the 28 mm. This is a very personal decision.

From all my cameras I decide for the Q whenever a superb allrounder is required. And this is very often the case.

Good luck with your process of decisions (you are likely too miss it soon after having sold it....) !!

• Like 3

I am new to the Q, but already I can say that the colors are the best that I have ever gotten from any camera. So it is surprising to read some users complaining about the color. Are they shooting raw or jpeg, and if raw, perhaps what is needed is a different profile.

As to the OP's question, it is the same one that I will be asking myself during the initial get acquainted period with the Q. There is no doubt that the lens and overall IQ leave nothing more to be desired. The same is true of ergonomics and usability. The only remaining doubt has to do with the 28mm focal length. Therefore, I accept it as a personal challenge to expand my photographic vision, so that I can take advantage of what that FOV has to offer. Hopefully, I will discover something visually new in the process.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 4