Will I regret selling my Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just couldn't make up my mind to sell it. It's still not getting much use though.

Since I tried the Q over weekend, I changed my mind about it. The Q is really the best implementation of the original idea of Leica in digital age, small, simple and always ready to take a picture but with all possibilities to take your time for manual setting if you wish, so yes..... you will regret it just after you don't have it anymore

Edited by i-Leica

I sold my Q (mainly to raise funds for other gear), got the Fuji X100F, and just bought the Q again.  For me it comes down mainly to focal length - I simply prefer the 28mm field of view.  If I preferred 35mm, I would stick with the X100F, since it's smaller size makes it much more portable IMHO.  Actually, I am going to keep both for a little while and see how the X100F does and whether it is worth keeping as a second body for situations  where I need to travel really light.  From a file quality perspective, I haven't been using the X100F long enough to see what I can really get out of it in different situations, but based on several weeks' use I would say so far that while it is very good, I prefer the Q's rendering, particular shot wide open.

• Like 2

the question is, why so many people sell the Q? Ebay is full of it...

I just checked the eBay listings, and I did not find many used Qs for sale, so I would not say that eBay is full of them. Of those that were, asking prices for some were near the retail list price.

Out of curiosity, when the Q has gone past the warranty period, how much would it cost to send it to Germany to remove dust from sensor if needed?

I contacted Germany to ask them to deal with my dust problem. They replied and told me to contact the London main dealer. London dealer hasn't replied. Nothing resolved so far. I'm not happy.

I contacted Germany to ask them to deal with my dust problem. They replied and told me to contact the London main dealer. London dealer hasn't replied. Nothing resolved so far. I'm not happy.

Lucerne. Disappointing that Wexlar didn't accept responsibility. Good luck. It requires patience which I'm usually short of in such situations. Do you have a blue sky image of the dust spots that you could post here? Thanks.

Is the London dealer Leica Mayfair? Have you tried calling them? Shame to hear such delays which are not acceptable from a brand like Leica. I hope things get sorted soon.

Is the London dealer Leica Mayfair? Have you tried calling them? Shame to hear such delays which are not acceptable from a brand like Leica. I hope things get sorted soon.

Yes. I've called them twice, but on both occasions the line diverted to an answering machine. I left a message and waited for a call back. Nothing so far!

Sorry to hear this Iucerne

Well I regret less and less selling my Q, if I ever regretted it in the first place. Yes, it's a superb camera, without a doubt 

I'm thoroughly pleased with its replacement, the Fuji X100F.  M'off on a three week motorcycle trip down to the Pyrenees next week and I know I'll not be worried or concerned about the Fuji. It's a pleasure to use, it's fun to use, and produces great results straight out of the camera.

.... but yes, I know it's not a Leica Q  :unsure:

The Q is so perfect for shooting without being noticed and the 28mm allows subsequent crop to frame the subject...and not only, it works so great in many other situations.

Recently I was asked to cover a commemoration lunch with about 100 persons. Not my type of photography... and the light in the place was not appropriate at all, too much counter-light close to the windows and too dark inside. I settled the Q to a 6.3 aperture, 125 speed and auto Iso, face recognition focus mode. Believe it or not 90% of the photos were really good, people were natural, almost no processing needed except for those counter-lighted for which I has to use the light and shadow correction in post-processing.

I was asked by Fuji a few months ago to test the latest fuji's and provided the X-Pro2, same again lately with the X100F and. I did not like them and maybe therefore the results could not stand comparison with the Q.

I have to say that I kept the analogical spirit, I do not like programs actual paraphernalia, for me it is all a question of aperture, light, speed, focusing, framing... and post-processing must be minimal, crop and adjust light, otherwise I intend the picture is not good.

I ordered an M10 with a summilux 50mm. More to replace my beloved D800 who becomes to heavy to carry. I will keep the D800 for special purposes like birdwatching, and for when I do not have to walk a lot with gear weight (I have a lot of gorgeous Nikkor and Zeiss pro primes...).

I intend to keep the Q for wide angle and the reasons/situations I explained above. Carry both Q and M10 in a bag is ok. To the question of selling the Q and purchasing a summilux wide angle I would answer that it obliges to change lenses and I know what it means and am a little fed up with the "cleaning sensor party" I have with the D800 (a pro friend does it for me).

I think nowadays photographers focuse themselves too much on technical skills of the gear and post-processing. For me photographing is mostly a question of feelings, of showing my view of things, my feelings for things. And therefore no need of complicating, no need of raw heavy files (specially with the D800!!!), no need of hours in lightroom, photoshop or whatever. (Except for pro photography, fashion etc, but that is another thing). 

Now I know some people always like to have the latest issue and spend their time and money trading cameras, always looking for improvements....the perfect camera does not exist. But why not TRY FIRST TO IMPROVE OURSELVES AS PHOTOGRAPHERS  and do our best with what we have instead of spending our time analysing possible defects of our gear...in a childish behaviour... wanting always the last issued version of leica, fuji, nikon, canon, sony, panasonic...whatever!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel_lucena/

Edited by Lucena
  • Like 2

The Q is so perfect for shooting without being noticed and the 28mm allows subsequent crop to frame the subject...and not only, it works so great in many other situations.

Now I know some people always like to have the latest issue and spend their time and money trading cameras, always looking for improvements....the perfect camera does not exist. But why not TRY FIRST TO IMPROVE OURSELVES AS PHOTOGRAPHERS  and do our best with what we have instead of spending our time analysing possible defects of our gear...in a childish behaviour... wanting always the last issued version of leica, fuji, nikon, canon, sony, panasonic...whatever!

Couldn't agree more! I have resisted upgrading my D800 but have rationalised the glass now to what better fits what I like to photograph - landscape and macro. But the big decision and a fundamentally satisfying one was trading in my X-Pro2 and a load of Fuji glass to get the Q. For me a much more balanced set up now. But at 72 it has taken me 60 years to get there.  ;)

• Like 1

Recently I was asked to cover a commemoration lunch with about 100 persons. Not my type of photography... and the light in the place was not appropriate at all, too much counter-light close to the windows and too dark inside. I settled the Q to a 6.3 aperture, 125 speed and auto Iso, face recognition focus mode. Believe it or not 90% of the photos were really good, people were natural, almost no processing needed except for those counter-lighted for which I has to use the light and shadow correction in post-processing.

I was asked by Fuji a few months ago to test the latest fuji's and provided the X-Pro2, same again lately with the X100F and. I did not like them and maybe therefore the results could not stand comparison with the Q.

I have to say that I kept the analogical spirit, I do not like programs actual paraphernalia, for me it is all a question of aperture, light, speed, focusing, framing... and post-processing must be minimal, crop and adjust light, otherwise I intend the picture is not good.

I ordered an M10 with a summilux 50mm. More to replace my beloved D800 who becomes to heavy to carry. I will keep the D800 for special purposes like birdwatching, and for when I do not have to walk a lot with gear weight (I have a lot of gorgeous Nikkor and Zeiss pro primes...).

I intend to keep the Q for wide angle and the reasons/situations I explained above. Carry both Q and M10 in a bag is ok. To the question of selling the Q and purchasing a summilux wide angle I would answer that it obliges to change lenses and I know what it means and am a little fed up with the "cleaning sensor party" I have with the D800 (a pro friend does it for me).

I think nowadays photographers focuse themselves too much on technical skills of the gear and post-processing. For me photographing is mostly a question of feelings, of showing my view of things, my feelings for things. And therefore no need of complicating, no need of raw heavy files (specially with the D800!!!), no need of hours in lightroom, photoshop or whatever. (Except for pro photography, fashion etc, but that is another thing).

Now I know some people always like to have the latest issue and spend their time and money trading cameras, always looking for improvements....the perfect camera does not exist. But why not TRY FIRST TO IMPROVE OURSELVES AS PHOTOGRAPHERS and do our best with what we have instead of spending our time analysing possible defects of our gear...in a childish behaviour... wanting always the last issued version of leica, fuji, nikon, canon, sony, panasonic...whatever!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel_lucena/

Lucena,

I applaud your decision on camera choices and philosophy for focusing, excuse the pun, on the experience instead of acquiring the latest gear or gadget. I'm 67 and find the weight of all my camera gear to be the biggest challenge although I still love bird photography which requires big glass. I'm still learning to use the Q and am now considering an M10 in the future. As I age I can see moving exclusively to the Leica system. It is a joy to think I can stay active in photography well into my 70's by adjusting the camera load that I carry. You said it much better than me.

• Like 1