Will I regret selling my Leica Q

YES.

i considered selling my Q for about 3 weeks.... i even boxed it up. . . waiting to see if my feelings would change.  I was not getting spectacular looking images that i expected.  Someone on this forum suggested that 28 was not my FL.  i read every post on practically every website regarding the Q and it's competitors (or shall i say other similar cameras)  The conclusion i came to was that this is the best (or second best) 'p&s' full frame on the planet today.  So if i sold i would be 'trading down' and lose some $ in the process.

my resolution to my dilemma is to learn digital processing to make my images look spectacular.

as always ymmv

second best?!?!?! :)

I went through RX1R, A7S, Ricoh GR, Olympus EM1 and perhaps others in my quest for my most ideal street photography camera. 

The Leica Q is certainly it.. 

Aperture and shutter speed visible glancing down

Easy to zone focus

Quiet shutter

Super fast AF

Excellent ISO handling and image quality

It also works brilliantly for weddings and live music

Edited by dancook
  • Like 4

I got the Q the day it came out and love it. It is so practical and does so much well. Tough as hell. My problem in that I have MM1 and M7 with an M10 on the way and none can be let go. Film is just plain fun, the MM produces incomparable images and the Q is my everyday go-to camera.

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Reading your conundrum you will most likely not really miss selling your Q. If you are not happy about the auto white balance an autofocus, then that's pretty much it. I agree it is too large for a candid pocket camera. For those occasions a decent phone/camera should do. Enjoy what you have.

Just my opinion, what a mighty lens I would have on my mighty M10 for that Q money. I could even have three mighty lenses, a 28, 35 and 50mm full format for that price: an Elmar50, a summicron 35 iv and a Summicron28 asph i, all gems. And then that beautifull 3200ISO of my M10. Why would I bring myself in a knot to be forced to chose what take every time, Q or M

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Just my opinion, what a mighty lens I would have on my mighty M10 for that Q money. I could even have three mighty lenses, a 28, 35 and 50mm full format for that price: an Elmar50, a summicron 35 iv and a Summicron28 asph i, all gems. And then that beautifull 3200ISO of my M10. Why would I bring myself in a knot to be forced to chose what take every time, Q or M

I follow :) indeed too many options gets in the way of photography..

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as the OP... I've owned the Q since release and love the camera but have ultimately decided to sell since I'm finding myself not using it as much now that I have my M10.  

I currently have my Q posted for sale and have an eye on the X100F as a smaller/lighter option for when I'm out and about.  I've owned the original X100 and have missed it ever since mainly for it's smaller form factor.  The Q is a great camera but it's hardly compact...  I'm thinking the X100F would be a better compliment for me for those times I want to just take 1 smaller camera.

Not sure if this helps the OP at all but I'd say to go for it and sell while resale is still relatively good... right now used Q's are selling pretty well and I figure if I really miss it then it won't be hard to find a quality used one later down the line.

It's a great camera for me,  given that 28 is my preferred lens.   I have never understood the problem with white balance when you have LightRoom.  The only problem is the edge distortion with the digital correction.  Uncorrected,  the DNGs are absolutely gnarly,  with horrendous vignetting and barrel distortion.  Corrected images can do something weird to the human head when it is near the edge of the frame, making it look more a coconut on its side.  This is common to a lot of modern cameras,  but it is upsetting on a Leica.  That said,  it can produce a fine 36-inch print for me.  For social occasions, I am impressed by the Iphone 7 plus.  It has the most incredible processor I have come across.  They will soon replace the run-of-the-mill DSLRs, I'm convinced.  I wish the Q had a screen of anything like the same quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as the OP... I've owned the Q since release and love the camera but have ultimately decided to sell since I'm finding myself not using it as much now that I have my M10.  

I currently have my Q posted for sale and have an eye on the X100F as a smaller/lighter option for when I'm out and about.  I've owned the original X100 and have missed it ever since mainly for it's smaller form factor.  The Q is a great camera but it's hardly compact...  I'm thinking the X100F would be a better compliment for me for those times I want to just take 1 smaller camera.

Not sure if this helps the OP at all but I'd say to go for it and sell while resale is still relatively good... right now used Q's are selling pretty well and I figure if I really miss it then it won't be hard to find a quality used one later down the line.

I recently sold my Leica Q and haven't regretted it. For sure its a fantastic camera and I virtually got my money back after eighteen months of trouble free ownership.

My first love is motorcycle travel and the Q was really too large for my motorcycle tank bag. Scare stories of faults with the Q also helped me decide, albeit, as said, mine was trouble free for eighteen months.

I don't save RAW files (yes, I know) and I don't really post edit ... so I 'downsized' to the Fuji X100F. It has the same sensor and battery as my X-T2 and is ideal for my motorcycle travel. I previously owned the Fuji X100S and then the X100T and regretted selling those. The Fuji X-T2 with one or two superb prime lenses is my ideal camera when walking round medieval town centres, or away with the VW Camper.

If I'm really honest, I enjoy using the Fuji's much more than I ever did the Q ... and I'm having some superb results with them.

If I were to ship my motorcycle out to South America for three or four months I think the Fuji X100F would be a far better 'safe bet' than the Leica Q. I've done two six month overland motorcycle trips through Russia and Asia and on reflection I think the Leica Q would possibly have been a liability!

Best of luck to you all ... see ya on the road.

Mick

www.adventure.gs

Edited by MickyW

I recently sold my Leica Q and haven't regretted it. For sure its a fantastic camera and I virtually got my money back after eighteen months of trouble free ownership.

My first love is motorcycle travel and the Q was really too large for my motorcycle tank bag. Scare stories of faults with the Q also helped me decide, albeit, as said, mine was trouble free for eighteen months.

I don't save RAW files (yes, I know) and I don't really post edit ... so I 'downsized' to the Fuji X100F. It has the same sensor and battery as my X-T2 and is ideal for my motorcycle travel. I previously owned the Fuji X100S and then the X100T and regretted selling those. The Fuji X-T2 with one or two superb prime lenses is my ideal camera when walking round medieval town centres, or away with the VW Camper.

If I'm really honest, I enjoy using the Fuji's much more than I ever did the Q ... and I'm having some superb results with them.

If I were to ship my motorcycle out to South America for three or four months I think the Fuji X100F would be a far better 'safe bet' than the Leica Q. I've done two six month overland motorcycle trips through Russia and Asia and on reflection I think the Leica Q would possibly have been a liability!

Best of luck to you all ... see ya on the road.

Mick

www.adventure.gs

Good luck. Thanks for your candid appraisal of the Q. I've owned all of the Fuji X100's except the latest F. I enjoyed each one albeit with their shortcomings. I prefer the Q because of my perception of better image quality, excellent ergonomics and the immediately available macro mode. I worry a little about some of the failures I hear about on the forum, but so far my camera has been flawless. I enjoyed the images you posted. Safe and fun riding.

Good luck. Thanks for your candid appraisal of the Q. I've owned all of the Fuji X100's except the latest F. I enjoyed each one albeit with their shortcomings. I prefer the Q because of my perception of better image quality, excellent ergonomics and the immediately available macro mode. I worry a little about some of the failures I hear about on the forum, but so far my camera has been flawless. I enjoyed the images you posted. Safe and fun riding.

Thank you Infiniumguy ... your photographs, along with a few other, have been truly inspirational to me on here. I'l be popping in from time to time to keep an eye on you  :)

Regret?  Ha, I once sold a running Ariel Square Four (motorcycle) for £25  .... worth £7K to £10K now  :wacko:  but I got a good price at the time! Never regret the things you did ... only the things you did't do.

Keep up the good work ... and thanks again

Mick

Edited by MickyW
  • Like 1