Searching a metal front cap for Summicron 50mm V

Fipsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 14398 metal slip-on cap for 50/2 apo fits nicely on my current 50/2 v5 (pic). It has no play on the barrel but it is not tight enough to prevent it from slipping as is. Can be used securely over the regular 14038 plastic cap though. For aesthetes and plastic haters only ;).

attachicon.gif14398_on_5020_v5_web.jpg

I use metal Contax G caps on lenses, where I use the very neat Contax titanium GG1 black anodised and GG2 natural titanium e46mm thread hoods in place of the plastic Leica ones (28 black ASPH Summicron and 35 chrome ASPH Summilux). The problem is these hoods are getting quite old now, the glue holding the felt padding on the inside rim has dried out and the felt has become torn as it has fallen off. In its place I use narrow strips of zinc oxide thin medical strapping tape, which I steal from my wife's physiotherapy clinic. This stuff is exceedingly sticky on its back side and non-stretch linen finish on the top side. It makes a good substitute for felt and you can use more than one layer if needed. 

I wonder if a layer of this inside the rim of 14398 cap would make it a tight fit on the Type 5 Summicron 50? If so I will order a chrome one. Does anyone know the part number for the chrome hood. Google has failed to find it. It may, of course, just be 14398 (chrome). I measure the required cap as 48mm inside diameter. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw

[...] I wonder if a layer of this inside the rim of 14398 cap would make it a tight fit on the Type 5 Summicron 50? If so I will order a chrome one. Does anyone know the part number for the chrome hood. Google has failed to find it. It may, of course, just be 14398 (chrome). I measure the required cap as 48mm inside diameter. [...]

So did I. There is not much room to grip above the aperture ring though. I have no idea about the chrome hood's part number sorry.

Edited by lct

So did I. There is not much room to grip above the aperture ring though. I have no idea about the chrome hood's part number sorry.

Yes there is only the thin rim with the aperture figures on it and then the rim of the lens hood - see photo below. I suppose it would be better to get a deeper hood to grip onto the knurling for the aperture ring but as I normally have a filter mounted, it would have to be quite deep. 

Wilson

• 1 month later...

No chrome/silver cap for the 50 APO Summicron is available. Leica France at first said it was available but finally had to admit failure. I suppose I could buy a black one and spray it silver with my air-brush. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got my 50 APO cap. Good fit on my 75th Anniversary LTM Summicron V. Much nicer look when fitted on an old Barnack.

• Like 1