Fresh New Leica User!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys!

As of today I am a new Leica owner!

Since I was a kid I really liked the quality of images in magazines such as National Geographic and other history books. Almost exactly a decade ago I finally plunged into photography but decided to go the digital route since it was the modern thing to do. But I never lost the interest in trying vintage film one day. Six years ago I bought a Canon AE-1 and loved the experience and results, but being so young and naive, I didn't have the patience to wait till the end of a roll and sending it off to the lab and waiting a week to get them back. I decided to better my digital skills and get instant results after taking a few pictures. Now with more age and 2 infant girls, my patience has grown exponentially it seems haha

However recently I noticed that the previously unattainable brand of Leica was "affordable" digitally in the M8. I almost pulled the trigger, but upon researching I kept seeing the M3, M2, and M6 pop up here and there. Further research into the brand and I saw the work of modern photographers with film, especially with these 3 Leica models. I was surprised that even though they are mechanical cameras, and VERY old in some cases, the quality and reliability (and price lol) never go down.

I knew that one day I wanted something that would be a worthy investment, yet also meaningful that could withstand the test of time and that I could pass down to my daughters or grandkids eventually. Also, it made sense that buying any M model, would be a worthy investment in lenses as well since they are all compatible, in case I ever decide to go with a digital Leica as well.

I finally found a decent deal on an M2 since there was nothing else local within my budget. But just yesterday, a new post on CL brought this beautiful combo to my attention. I made the deal to meet this morning and awaited holding a Leica for the first time. I kind of cheated yesterday that I dropped off my first film roll in 6 years from my Canon at a local camera shop. They informed me that they had a few old Leica, a pair of IIIf, and an actual M3! I couldn't afford the package they had of 3 lenses with the camera, but they let me hold it and I tried the rangefinder for the first time. I was somewhat disappointed that it was a little dull and hard to see the things in the center focuser.

But I met the seller today, and I looked through the viewfinder of the minty M3 pictured here, and I was so relieved and amazed. Crystal clear and bright! Everything about the camera is well taken care of. I couldn't be happier for such an investment.

A mint condition, clean M3 from approximately 1958 I was told. Originally used and loved by a Japanese-American who traveled the world with it. When the original owner died, the son sold it since he knew nothing about the camera. This second owner had it for about 10 years and recently sent it to a reputable US Leica expert for cleaning, and conditioning. The double stroke was replaced for a single stroke winder. Everything about this camera seems to be working beautifully. Focusing on the 35mm f3.5 Leits is super smooth and the viewfinder is super clear and bright. Also included is a SBLOO finder for the 35mm.

Even though I did my research on the cameras for weeks, I still let the owner add one final roll into the camera for me to start using immediately. The actual first shot of the film will be a portrait of me lol. Now to just finish the roll and see the results in the near future. I might do a new thread showing my first Leica images too.

But for now just wanted to share the excitement of a first time Leica owner, like many of you have probably already experienced.

Thank you for your time in this long essay haha

Happy Clicking!

Alex.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Aguilera85
  • Like 5

Thank you guys!!! I'm very excited and already half way through the roll lol. I'm hoping to finish the roll today and tomorrow so that I can send it to the lab asap. I'm excited to see the quality of pictures from my first Leica, but also to see the results and make sure all is working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, that is a beautiful M3. I came into Leica in a similar way. Appreciated the same photographs as a kid as you. When I got older and could afford it, I bought an MP. I'm very happy with it. I really appreciate fine mechanical objects, and a Leica is not only a great photographic tool, but to me its way more. It's a fine mechanical masterpiece that I get enjoyment from just holding and or focusing on various things, even if I don't photograph them. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome to the Leica community. I was really born into it, as both my grandfather and father were Leica users. However, beware, there is a serious illness that Leica owners have a propensity to contract. It is sometimes known by its initials GAS. It starts very innocently, when you think: "I might just get an extra wide angle or telephoto lens." This is then followed by the seemingly perfectly logical thought that a second body really does make sense. Before you know it, you have a table or cabinet like the one below, together with a depleted bank account. GAS stands for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome."  :)  :)

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Wilson, I thought I was bad, but that photo puts me in "Getting started" league...  :)

.....and that is only some of them. There are a whole lot more in the UK and a couple, my grandfather's model II and Combat Graflex giant 70mm film rangefinder KE-6 kit at the menders. There seems to be no cure.

Wilson

Welcome to the Leica community. I was really born into it, as both my grandfather and father were Leica users. However, beware, there is a serious illness that Leica owners have a propensity to contract. It is sometimes known by its initials GAS. It starts very innocently, when you think: "I might just get an extra wide angle or telephoto lens." This is then followed by the seemingly perfectly logical thought that a second body really does make sense. Before you know it, you have a table or cabinet like the one below, together with a depleted bank account. GAS stands for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome."  :)  :)

Wilson

you were totally right... At first it was just the M3 and the Summaron. I knew that i needed a 50mm, so i searched for one immediately, found a local 50 Summarit and thought that would be it.

Then i was curious about the digital side. So ended up getting an M9. But sent it out to get the sensor replaced within a week. Since i lost the M9, i searched for an M8 to replace it in the meantime, so now i thought i was good, one lens on each body lol ...

Then i researched and found that my old glass had a unique style, and modern glass like Zeiss and Voigtlander (which are the only ones i could afford) give more contrast and color than older glass. So now i also own a 50 Planar, and the 40 Voigtlander.

But wait theres more!!!

After using the M3 for 2 months, and also using the digital M, i realize the convenience of having the light meter integrated into the film camera. Using an external meter and changing settings made me miss many shots and also miss exposure after composing... So now i recently picked up the M6!!! But i couldn't be happier haha.

For the moment i feel i am complete. I am fighting the urge of getting slightly wider lens like an a 28mm. But i have a plan. When my M9 comes back in about 6 months ( :( ) i will sell my M8 instead of having it collect dust, and that might fund my only Leica glass like a 28 Elmarit. Then i think the Leica GAS sickness might be subdued haha

Edited by Aguilera85

I can attest to the "Rangefinder G.A.S." phenomonon.  It started for me with an Olympus XA in college, and now I have about 20 rangefinders in many film sizes.  It spread to SLR's and view cameras too, and then to digital cameras and superzooms.  Beware....

Scott

Edited by skucera
  • Like 1