M10 Stuck On ISO 400

barbiaux.john

I’m about to purchase the M10 to use with some old Leica lenses and asked the local Leica store person here in Singapore about the ISO dial issue. She said there was only one person who brought it back to repair.

Was wondering if I should code the 2 old lenses that I have as it costs quite a bit to get it done. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After freezing at ISO 200 six weeks after I bought it, my M10 came back from Leica USA last week. It was out for 18 days, including shipping time there and back from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Leica listed 2 hours of labor to fix (as they put it) the ASA/DIN adjustment defect, adjust rangefinder, and clean sensor, all under warranty.

The dealer I bought it from got involved, and that may be partly why it was done relatively quickly.

Edited by lecycliste

I’m about to purchase the M10 to use with some old Leica lenses and asked the local Leica store person here in Singapore about the ISO dial issue. She said there was only one person who brought it back to repair.

Was wondering if I should code the 2 old lenses that I have as it costs quite a bit to get it done. Thanks

I would.

It makes life much simpler!

At least, perhaps get one coded, then you can default to the other focal length for non-coded lenses

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 1

I wouldn't. It is a trivial thing to select in the menu. I've got lots of old glass that isn't coded. Save the money for more glass...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Either you have all of them coded or you do not need to have any of them coded (in my opinion) as you have to select the others from the menu all the same. I started to have uncoded lenses coded when they were at Leica's for other reasons anyway but stopped that again as it wasn't worthwhile. Espacially older lenses cannot be coded at all.

• Like 1

Either you have all of them coded or you do not need to have any of them coded (in my opinion) as you have to select the others from the menu all the same. I started to have uncoded lenses coded when they were at Leica's for other reasons anyway but stopped that again as it wasn't worthwhile. Espacially older lenses cannot be coded at all.

HI There

I agree with you in principle

But actually, having just one uncoded lens is fine, as the camera remembers the focal length and applies it by default when you attach an uncoded lens.

• Like 2

HI There

I agree with you in principle

But actually, having just one uncoded lens is fine, as the camera remembers the focal length and applies it by default when you attach an uncoded lens.

Mine are 35 and 50 Summicrons. I think I’ll not code it but send them in for servicing and adjustments for the M10. The 35mm focus ring has gone extremely tight. They quoted me ballpark sgd$800 (usd580) per lens just for coding. That excludes whatever servicing they have to do for the focus ring cause both have to be sent to Germany.

Trivia. For such a small county we have 4 Leica Boutiques and 1 dealer. Pretty crazy.

There are plenty of third-party repairers doing lens CLAs, adjustments and coding, with reasonable prices, fast turnaround, and excellent results.

^This

I just sent off a 35mm with goggles that had a stiff focus spot for CLA to a non-Leica tech and it was literally a one day turnaround. I had my lens back in perfect shape in one week. Good techs are out there. Cost me $108 total.

• Like 1

Doesn’t sound right. In 2016 I had Leica rebuild a MATE V2 including 6-bit coding. Total was $532 including return shipping. Was done through Leica US but the work was done in Germany.

Just dropped my lenses off at Leica Boutique Singapore. I should be getting an exact quote from Germany in a few weeks.

I sent mine off Sept 24, received in Wetzlar Sept 27.  In service section Oct. 2, repair completed Oct 5.  Shipped back Oct 11, and it is presently out of customs and on a truck heading for my home in Jerusalem today, Oct 16.  So the repair queueing time was three days, and the shipping time two weeks. 

The statement that came back listed no new "Necessary parts" but as "Necessary operations" included repair Din/ASA adjustment, Carry out software adjustment, clean sensor, adjust range finder, adjustment of all parts and cleaning and end control.  When I get it today, I'll see if some low order digit of the firmware shows a new version.  I took the precaution of saving settings on my card.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...