M10 Stuck On ISO 400

barbiaux.john

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Crap, mine comes in next week. I'll keep using the ISO wheel during the warranty period while I can still send it in for a free fix.

Don't get hung up on the warranty period. Where in a case like this the problem is clearly caused by some design or manufacturing defect, your rights will last an awful lot longer.

Anyway, I would expect Leica to be prepared to take responsibility for this when ever the problem emerges. I would be amazed if they started quibbling and demanding money.

If you are in the UK then you would have rights against the seller of the camera for six years from the date that the problem surfaced.

Crap, mine comes in next week. I'll keep using the ISO wheel during the warranty period while I can still send it in for a free fix.

Serial is 5193xxx. So yes, it's higher.

The implications are worrisome:  Not only are recent copies affect so that now, not only many more owners might worry, but future owners may be reluctant to use the wheel.  Even more important, since Leica must have known several months ago of the problem, it seems possible they have been unable to fix the manufacturing problem.  That means that repaired cameras might be as likely to experience the problem as previous manufactured ones!   All this makes even more necessary a firmware option force menu control of of the ISO setting, overriding the dial.

Also curious if we can collect data on silver vs black on the defective unit.

I'm not sure if we can tell from serial number if a unit is silver or black, or their relative time of manufacture if different color.

I'll start, black 5191xxx. ISO dial is occasionally used - I'm on auto ISO about 80% of the time. No problem so far.

• Like 1

Serial is 5193xxx. So yes, it's higher.

Thanks for positing the serial range. More info can be helpful to users who are concerned.

I have a serial 5192xxx, but i am Not using my ISO wheel, not due to Fear, but because I am using my M to photograph items for a book that I am working on and don't currently have a need to change ISO settings, so I may not be a typical Leica M user.

Edited by roverover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M10 with serial 5193xxx and locked ISO is black. I'm not sure it would make any difference, since the only difference between silver and black bodies is likely the metal finish. The same manufacturing line would be used for both. 

Edited by lecycliste

Apparently the linkage between the ISO wheel and camera is magnetic to allow good weather-sealing. A magnet's position would be read with Hall effect sensors - a magnet induces a small voltage voltage across such sensors, which can be amplified and read. 

Sticking at one ISO implies a mechanical misalignment or catastrophic failure in the sensor or its associated electronics. 

• Like 1

Apparently the linkage between the ISO wheel and camera is magnetic to allow good weather-sealing. A magnet's position would be read with Hall effect sensors - a magnet induces a small voltage voltage across such sensors, which can be amplified and read. 

Sticking at one ISO implies a mechanical misalignment or catastrophic failure in the sensor or its associated electronics. 

When the ISO wheel of my M10 was broken, I could get to ISO 1600 turning it in one direction, and ISO 800 turning it in the opposite direction - but no other ISO values.

This gave me the impression, that the compound in which the the wheel moves was loose, so it turned together with the wheel.

My M10 has just started to have problems with the ISO dial. By moving the dial around I can get either ISO 1600 or 3200. The Auto ISO setting results in 1600 or 3200 no matter what value I put in the Max Setting!

Looks like a I'll have to send it off to Germany for repair. Believe there is now no UK Leica service department.

Regards,

Les

Edited by LesT

I took mine to leica. Bit of a drive but nice to see the factory. Good coffee in the Leitz cafe. Dangerous shop.

They have the ISO dial replaced at both camera's and look like new. Very friendly staff and off course no guarantee but rather safe that it will not happen again.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

• Like 1