M10 Stuck On ISO 400

barbiaux.john

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The simplest way of dealing with this is to trust Auto ISO. For most normal usage an increase in ISO will not affect image quality that much. I would only use the ISO dial when shooting in low light where I would want fixed ISO and use fixed manual settings. Typical examples would be inside a church or an ancient building or in low light at dawn or at dusk. Otherwise, using Auto ISO will allow you to keep the dial down in its fixed (immovable) position during 'normal' usage. For me, the ISO dial will be a rarely used feature on my M10. I would much rather if exposure compensation were put on a full physical dial rather than the slower half and half method used.

William

It may be simple, but I prefer full control over the ISO and find the new dial the perfect solution as I can set the ISO before the camera is even turned on and monitor or adjust it quickly while shooting.

I get in the happiest of looking at the ISO just before I turn on the camera.

What do you mean by "slower half and half method"? Are you aware you can directly adjust exp compensation with the thumb wheel. Just a simple turn adjusts the exposure and its displayed in the VF as you adjust.

• Like 1

It may be simple, but I prefer full control over the ISO and find the new dial the perfect solution as I can set the ISO before the camera is even turned on and monitor or adjust it quickly while shooting.

I get in the happiest of looking at the ISO just before I turn on the camera.

What do you mean by "slower half and half method"? Are you aware you can directly adjust exp compensation with the thumb wheel. Just a simple turn adjusts the exposure and its displayed in the VF as you adjust.

Yes I am aware of that, but you need to look at a screen or through the viewfinder to see what you are setting. I would prefer a marked dial which several other makes and some Leica cameras have. It would make adjustment much quicker. It is always clear that individual handling preferences vary between different photographers. For me exposure compensation comes before ISO adjustment. I am enjoying my M10 so far. It is a definite improvement on the M240 as regards handling.

William

If you hold the camera like recommended in the FAQ, you only need to rotate it 90º (up or down as you prefer) and you won't push the ISO knob.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269638-how-to-hold-an-m-camera/

Jaapv, your FAQ illustration of how to hold in the landscape orientation is useful. I'm curious, do you focus in that position and then rotate 90 degrees after you are focused or do you focus in the portrait position as digitalfx seems to recommend?

Jaapv, your FAQ illustration of how to hold in the landscape orientation is useful. I'm curious, do you focus in that position and then rotate 90 degrees after you are focused or do you focus in the portrait position as digitalfx seems to recommend?

Sorry I wasn't clear...you should always focus in the position you are holding the camera.

Never focus and change positions as your focus will be off.

If you use the method illustrated by Jaapv then focusing is at your finger tips and repositioning the camera is not necessary. With your method of holding the camera your hand must change positions to focus which will result in focus errors.

Digitalfx, I'd love to see a picture of how you hold the camera vertically (with the iso dial at the top left). When I hold it and try to focus with my left hand  "under handed" as Jaapv shows in the FAQ as correct (for the landscape orientation), then my fingers end up in front of the focusing window the the patch disappears. The only way I can keep my fingers on the focusing ring is to do it "over-handed" as Jaapv shows in his picture of the wrong way (for landscape).  Am I correct that for portrait orientation overhanded would be the right way?

Digitalfx, I'd love to see a picture of how you hold the camera vertically (with the iso dial at the top left). When I hold it and try to focus with my left hand  "under handed" as Jaapv shows in the FAQ as correct (for the landscape orientation), then my fingers end up in front of the focusing window the the patch disappears. The only way I can keep my fingers on the focusing ring is to do it "over-handed" as Jaapv shows in his picture of the wrong way (for landscape).  Am I correct that for portrait orientation overhanded would be the right way?

try using just your fingertips for focusing.

I place my finger tips on the focus ring first and then let my hand rest on the bottom of the camera. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I focus in the portrait position.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you want to swing it downwards, use your thumb to release.

ISO dial on my M10 is stuck at ISO100 as well, sometimes when I move the dial it changes to ISO200. Obviously a mechanical problem. I inly rarely used the dial, but now being on vacation wanted to shoot in late evenings and I figured out I can't.

Edited by Michal.

ISO dial on my M10 is stuck at ISO100 as well, sometimes when I move the dial it changes to ISO200. Obviously a mechanical problem. I inly rarely used the dial, but now being on vacation wanted to shoot in late evenings and I figured out I can't.

How so? You can change the ISO setting using the menu of the camera, accrording to the manual.

How so? You can change the ISO setting using the menu of the camera, accrording to the manual.

To be sure, I tried to adjust ISO in MENU when the dial is set on 100 ISO, there is no way to adjust other than M-ISO (only if the dial is set on M then)

and ISO Auto Maximum (only if the dial is set to A then).

So if the dial is stuck on one ISO value (except M and A of course), there is no other way to change that ISO in MENU.

When my M10 locked onto ISO 100, it was not due to a mechanical fault with the ISO dial, because it had not been moved.

We now have three reported instances of ISO lockup on this forum.

I suspect a bug in the firmware.

When my M10 locked onto ISO 100, it was not due to a mechanical fault with the ISO dial, because it had not been moved.

That could be true. I was not sure from the reports whether the reported occurrences were as a result of mechanical or electronic linkages going faulty. Either way Leica needs to look at this. One solution would be to allow an option of dial or menu priority other than using the M setting on the dial. The fault should not, of course, be happening on an expensive camera like the M10. One has to assume that the camera was fully tested in this regard before launch. My M10 will largely stay on the A setting except for difficult or low light.

William

If it was a bug in the FW...there would be far more than 3 reports...seems like a faulty knob to me.

Jaap, digitalfx, thanks for your help about how to hold an M vertically.  There is more I'd like to ask about it, but  as this thread needs to stay focused on the more important problems with the ISO dial,  I'll start a new thread which I'll call "How I hold an M10".  It may be a couple of hours while till I can get to it.

• Like 1

. My M10 will largely stay on the A setting except for difficult or low light.

Your afraid to use a function of the camera because of 3 reports?

It does seem Leica has a higher rate of QC issues than normal...hopefully they get this sorted out pretty quickly. But I wouldn't be afraid to use your ISO dial because of 3 isolated cases out of the thousands of cameras shipped. I use my iso dial on a daily basis and have no issues.

Your afraid to use a function of the camera because of 3 reports?

It does seem Leica has a higher rate of QC issues than normal...hopefully they get this sorted out pretty quickly. But I wouldn't be afraid to use your ISO dial because of 3 isolated cases out of the thousands of cameras shipped. I use my iso dial on a daily basis and have no issues.

I'm not afraid of using a simple dial. I use Leicas of all ages going back to the 1920s and I am used to and like dials. I prefer them to menus any day. I had stated earlier that with the modern digital sensors one need not be afraid of letting the camera decide on ISO. The only time that I would need a fixed ISO would be with very difficult lighting conditions. This would be less than about 15% of my usage.

The only issue I have noticed so far with my M10 is some slow buffering with a red light flashing. This could be related to the card issue discussed elsewhere. I understand that a firmware upgrade is promised to deal with this.

William

I called Leica, M10 needs to get back to Wetzlar for repair, they ordered DHL to pick it up. Let's see how long it is going to take, me and my son will definitely miss the M10. We got used to the small camera and the results it delivers ;-(

Before packing I tried the ISO dial one more time, now the ISO values do change sometimes, but not consistently. They definitely do not match the numbers on the dial, and sometimes it gets stuck, only to move through multiple ISO-values at next turn.

And it is not possible to set it on M-mode if this has happened, just to be able to set ISO by menu? At least that would make the camera usable again...

. I can't speak for everyone but as I mentioned in the first post, this is not possible. Getting my M10 back from NJ today and will update when I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk