135 Elmar, worth it?

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

135 Elmar with the M 240 and Lee filters: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

This was from a 135mm Hektor taken at f5.6, 1/30sec. Handheld.

For a 60 year old lens, I’m not going to complain.  (At full resolution, it’s plenty sharp)

Edited by CaseyS
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Elmar 135mm screw m39

• Like 4

Hi,

If you are going to use your 135mm Elmar with some longer lenses, such as 200mm, 280mm, 400mm or 560mm Telyts don't forget that the lens head can be unscrewed and fitted to a short focussing mount on a Visoflex, even the 135 f/2.8 Elmarit will fit. That way you'll get the benefit of SLR focussing. Also, when used with the bellows you can get to life size 1:1.magnification.  I don't have a camera with live view, but you could probably use a TXBOO or TZOON etc.  instead of the Viso.

Susie

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Susie said:

Hi,

If you are going to use your 135mm Elmar with some longer lenses, such as 200mm, 280mm, 400mm or 560mm Telyts don't forget that the lens head can be unscrewed and fitted to a short focussing mount on a Visoflex, even the 135 f/2.8 Elmarit will fit. That way you'll get the benefit of SLR focussing. Also, when used with the bellows you can get to life size 1:1.magnification.  I don't have a camera with live view, but you could probably use a TXBOO or TZOON etc.  instead of the Viso.

Susie

Hello Susie,

It is good that you reminded people of this.

1 of the advantages of separable lenses is that you always have BOTH.

You have a range/viewfinder lens to use in places where a range/viewfinder is easier like reasonably close to reasonably far distances.

And then you can use the lens as a Single Lens Reflex lens at distances that are even closer up to 1 : 1 or greater magnification.

As well as at really long distances. Or with lens extenders.

Or if you want to look at something closely in the medium distance ranges.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

elmar 135

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

paulmac Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Elmar 135 at Cape of Good Hope

• Like 3

On 4/27/2017 at 1:06 PM, pgk said:

Be aware that this lens can be problematic. I've had three, none of which would focus accurately. I ended up with the E46 version (not the apo) which is spot on on focus with the rangefinder. If you trawl through posts here on the forum you will find a lot of information about the E39 versions and their focus woes - some can be spot on I'm sure but none of the 3 I had were. If you just want to use it for landscapes then it might be viable to have one adjusted for infinity focus even if it is then out for closer work. My experience is that its a very good lens - I have a 30" x 20" off mine which lacks little in technical terms - but you either focus it using live view or live with its inconsistencies if you are not lucky enough to get one which focuses correctly. The E46 seems to be a better mechanical design - clearly there was a reason for the redesign. And you get what you pay for - the E39 version is a nice lens optically, but its low price indicates a lack of popularity and there is a reason for this. Just my opinions based on some of my experience and a number of posts here anyway.

If all three have problem, you should check your camera. 

This is the only true Leica lens without Leica price stock. It is excellent and more than excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I also have the elmar 135 f4, next to the apotelyt 135 f3.4, and I have kept it. The elmar is very good when I want a picture without distortion and good proportions. The elmar is not a tele lens and therefore it is longer than the tele elmar (which I sold to buy the apotelyt) or the apotelyt, but it is very light and has no distortion. The elmar 135 is a very sharp lens at f5.6 or f8 and the distance is very easy to set precisely (big throw) on my Leica M240 or my M4 or M5 from the film period. The position of the distance setting ring is also helping to keep the lens very steady while taking a picture. The apotelyt offers better microcontrast and can be used wide open; it is the best lens I have ever used but it is much more expensive. So for the price, do not hesitate to buy a Elmar 135 if you find it in good state. For best accuracy , let also your lenses be controlled by Leica in Wetzlar. This is very important for long focal lenses for best accuracy. Actually all my lenses have been revised by Leica to be used on a Leica M digital.

• Like 2