135 Elmar, worth it?

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There could be issues where it doesn't reach infinity focus at infinity lock wide open. This is easily checked using LV. My lens had no issue on M9 but has issue on M240. This is lens specific though and not a general issue (and easily fixed by Leica, DAG or someone else).

I'm not quite sure if I have the same problem. One time, I was focusing an object, which appears to be more than 55 meters, hence I focus on infinity. However, upon checking live view, the image was not in focus. I did this at F/4.Nevertheless, when I focus on another object, which is farther, I again focus on infinity, the focus was correct. 

Her one taken with the Elmar 2,8/135 with googles. Wide open on the M 240. f 2,8 or 3,4.
Focussed wit EVF. Not a pleasure to do, but possible. Unfortunately it's mechanically a bit misaligned, so I can't use the OVF.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Hello Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum.

55 meters is not "Infinity" for a 135mm lens. It is better to actually focus using the range/viewfinder at that & even when you are measuring longer distances. To check "Infinity" focus it is better to use something like the Moon with the camera & lens on a tripod. The F4, 135mm Elmar conveniently has a tripod mount in the lens which will add to stability.

You might try it at all of the F stops & appropriate adjusted shutter speeds since you will be using a tripod.

Just make a normal exposure reading from the surface of the Moon.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

I'm not quite sure if I have the same problem. One time, I was focusing an object, which appears to be more than 55 meters, hence I focus on infinity. However, upon checking live view, the image was not in focus. I did this at F/4.Nevertheless, when I focus on another object, which is farther, I again focus on infinity, the focus was correct. 

Focusing is always an issue with longer lens. The RF patch is too imprecise for infinity at f/4 (even 90mm gives problem if you are not careful). My rule is always to use LV/EVF with long lens for any photo that I may plan to print big someday. If not, then the slight mis focus doesn't matter on the web or even up to A4 prints. Just to be extra careful, I stop down to f/8 in the day light and let auto ISO cover the rest. I also shoot in C mode so that I can use minimum 1/focal length shutterspeed and pick the most stable shot later during curation.

I have learned that long lens require extra care to get the most out of them.

Focusing is always an issue with longer lens. The RF patch is too imprecise for infinity at f/4 (even 90mm gives problem if you are not careful). My rule is always to use LV/EVF with long lens for any photo that I may plan to print big someday. If not, then the slight mis focus doesn't matter on the web or even up to A4 prints. Just to be extra careful, I stop down to f/8 in the day light and let auto ISO cover the rest. I also shoot in C mode so that I can use minimum 1/focal length shutterspeed and pick the most stable shot later during curation.

I have learned that long lens require extra care to get the most out of them.

Thank you. I will heed your advice. I just hope that stopping down to F/5.6 is sufficient enough for an accurate focus for big prints, since F/8 is slow haha. 

Edited by stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For longer focal length lenses, it is better to use 0.85X magnification cameras (with 0.85 marked on the lower right corner at front of the viewfinder) or using goggle lenses as focusing will be more accurate ..............

Please also note that M3 is a 0.91X magnification camera, while M6J is also a 0.85X camera

Edited by amoebahydra
  • Like 1

For longer focal length lenses, it is better to use 0.85X magnification cameras (with 0.85 marked on the lower right corner at front of the viewfinder) or using goggle lenses as focusing will be more accurate ..............

Please also note that M3 is a 0.91X magnification camera, while M6J is also a 0.85X camera

Thank you! My only film Leica is a M6 TTL with 0.85. But, I haven't tried the Elmar on my M6. I will try it soon. Thanks again! 

• 1 month later...

Another test with Lee Seven5 filters:

• Like 8

One more: 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Cropped. 135 Elmar M9

• Like 4

A few more taken with the SL 601 w 135 f4 elmar

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

CL w 135 f/4

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

Playing with it the other night: 

• Like 7

• 6 months later...

Some shot with a Lee Big Stopper and Grad ND:

Edited by stephengv
  • Like 2

Elmar 135/4 on Epson R-D1

• Like 19