SL Summicron 75/2 prototype

Leicaiste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New lens hoods of a so-called perfect shape are much more effective. Although plastic does break, like on my 24-90 :)

And metal can dent or crack if you wack it too. 

Personally, I dislike sliding lens hoods. I'd rather have something separate that I can take on and off the lens as I please. I bought a 'real' lens hood for my Summicron-M 50mm despite that it has a slide out hood. The one I bought does a better job of both flare control and prevents damage to the lens. 

Interesting point. What is it on the M version? I'm guessing 1m?

Typically it is around 70cm for M lenses.

Obviously depending on your subject matter/shooting style this might not matter at all.

But having gotten used to the Leica Q (30cm, 17cm in macro mode) I have to admit it is a very nice feature to have.

Any more news and rumours out there?

When will it be available and how much is it likely to cost?

Given the apparent difficulty of meeting demand for the SL 50mm (and the M10) I'm wondering if Leica have the capacity to meet their roadmap or timeline of lenses in people's hands.

I keep putting off buying the Summicron-M 75mm in case the SL version is reasonably priced and/or has any significant advantages (other then the obvious AF). Is it going to be worth the wait...? 

My dealer says Fall.  He doesn't know a price yet.